Hammock
    eno single nest
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    sleep pad and bag
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    As a scout turning into an adult leader I can start to carry more of my own style of gear on trips and not worry about splitting a tent with a buddy (most of whom I have converted to hammock campers now) years back I got a cheap byer it's sketchy for me to get in it now(a "few" pounds over it's limit) so I upgraded to a ENO double look alike and have gone from there and have just come back from a few trips now in a new setup with my mac cat deluxe and I loved it, I only need to upgrade my winter gear now(snow and freezing rain were a first not just in a hammock first) and I will never return to the ground but stay floating in the air.

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest
    Tarp
    Equinox silnylon
    Insulation
    GoLiteTQ/ZLite pad
    Suspension
    webbing w/cinches
    Um i live in PA and hike the AT a lot....understood? LOL ok for those who dont know PA is almost entirely rocks, if your not laying on rocks your laying on roots. I first found out about hanging on whiteblaze and scanning through some of the Thru hikers photo journals and saw a lot of ENOs....Now im a proud owner of a singlenest!

I've been hanging off and on since about 1974, when I got a Vietnam war era jungle hammock while in the Boy Scouts in Panama. I've had lots of crappy hammocks since then but am now buying some good gear, a Blackbird and a Superfly. Hammock Forum Rocks!
    Just hanging around.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Well, the fact is, I haven't actually "hung" anything yet. But I'm hopeful! lol. I am quite a lover of the outdoors. I like camping a bit by myself. I have a huge cabin tent with all the amenities. It's kinda like staying the night in the sultans crib. But I've decided enough car camping. I like to explore caves in my younger days, and thought about hiking in and staying a day or two while i explore....instead of hiking in at the crack of dawn, caving, then dragging back out when I'm so tired I can barely stand up. But my gear is to big. So...Time for a pack and some ultra light alternatives. Like many of you, I bumped into Shugs vids while researching tents on You Tube (I'm FatDaddy, btw) and I thought those hammocks looked pretty cool. Never seen one really. Not a camping hammock anyway.

I still haven't purchased one yet, but I am just weeks away from it. Backpacking is a whole other venture requiring all new equipment and gear. (I like to go all out if I'm gonna do it). So, I've been watching Griz's vids and Shugs', and learning new knots and hanging techniques. I'm going to renew my interests in rappeling too, and turn my girl onto the whole lot. She's a city slicker from LosAngeles. I'm going to make a mountain climbing, hammock hanging fool outta her when she gets here. She will learn what fun is the minute she backs over the edge of a 400 foot cliff on a rope. That's livin'! I think hanging hammocks is going to fit right in with her new lifestyle...here with me.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Hammock
    Lefty Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I'm trying to de-evolve a little bit and stay comfy at the same time. The Fish Heads, followers of the great, long time, New Orleans band, the Radiators have a manifesto.

The Fish Head manifesto--- "There comes a time in the tides of wimmens and mens when the break must be broken off, tossed out the window, and the big accelerating pedal nailed securely to the floor. Go-go-go-go-go for broke. There cometh a timeth when we human fools must face the fact, Jack: the human experiment hasn't worked out. Look at the stats: acid rain, pot holes, death squads, flip-top cans that leave you bleedinng and thirsty, mutually assured destruction, smog, cabbage patch dolls, double secret probation, genetic engineering, Amityville 3-D, lite beers, Olivia Newton John, money, sex, bad plumbing, drive-through funeral homes, sports comentators making more money than some starving nations, people who got nothing better to do than wipe each other out over bad real estate. Look all around you. Better still : look in the mirror. Yep, things just ain't worked out. Saint Jake sez there's another flood comin' to reem away all this bad cess. I mean, Clean the sucker out! And Saint Jake sez the only way you gonna come out clean is if you take a couple of steps back on the evolutionary ladder. Past man, past monkey, past television game show host, past reptile. It's time to go all the way back down Darwin's ladder and return to the mothering waters from which we came : ye olde foamy brine! After all, who in heck's gonna survive the big flood but the little fishes? You tell me! So : be prepared. If you're a human being, you're paart of an endangered species. Ain't no fool of a human bean got the power to hold back the flood. There's only one way out : become a fish head . And what is a fish head (you ask) ? The arms flapping like fins, the eyes bugging out, the endless imbibing of vast quantities of liquids. Fish heads shun the daylight and frequent dark, wet places and wait for it all to gleam. Fish heads may have the appearance of human beans, but they got the fish in the head . Say it again : the Fish in the Head ! Party Down Now ! Back to the marshes ! Back to the bayous ! the rivers, lakes, lagoons ! Back again to our salty father's aquatic beginnings. Fall in love with mermaids, dance with octopi. Cast off your big brown shoes, get squishy, and wiggle for all you're worth. Like the Bubble sez: "Less we become as little fishes, ye shall not enter the spillway of heaven." Trout 7:11 Here comes the flood, and it ain't nobody's sweetheart. Get with it."

Rainyseason
    Last edited by rainyseason; 02-06-2010 at 16:40.

Hammock
    Clark NX-150 & Eno Dbl Nest
    Tarp
    OES Ultra, Noah 12
    Insulation
    SpeerSnugFit&Z-Lnr
    Suspension
    Polypro web&rings
    Life is unpredictable and full of adventure. After sleeping in and out of all sorts of uncomfortable places I wanted something that was easy to use, easy to carry and flexible enough to use almost anywhere. A hammock seemed to fit the bill. I just wish I had discovered hammocks earlier.
    Last edited by jsdmmd; 02-08-2010 at 22:21.

I've been hanging for 6 years now. These are my reasons for giving up the tent.

1. more comfy
    2. no more aches and pains
    3. easier to find a place to hang
    4. no stones or twigs poking me in the back
    5. lots of envious looks from other campers
    6. light weight
    7. cool factor
    8. don't have to share my hammock
    9. don't wake up in the middle of a large puddle or small lake
    10. raccoons don't scratch at my hammock
    11. hammocks are more fun to experiment with
    12. better weather protection
    13. easier to stay warm/cool/dry/etc
    14. more mods for hammocks than tents
    15. tell people I'm not a cager or ground dweller and see the blank look on their face

dwatson24

What made me decide to hang.

Hello, and thanks for the invite to introduce myself.

Well, I spent three years in the military as an infantry soldier, always carrying heavy, uncomfortable loads. After finishing up my term I retained a love for walking long distances with a load on my back, only now I could choose the gear and destinations. Naturally I was drawn to the idea of going lighter after years of heavy loads and as I began to get into gear more and more it got lighter and lighter. As far as hammocking, it had always been appealing to me to be off the ground whether up in a tree or up in a plane. Admittedly i was skeptical about sleeping in a hammock but the internet is a valuable resource for educating oneself and answering questions so I spent a lot of time researching.

I was torn between a few different choices, mainly the Clark and the Hennessy at first, but finally decided on the Hennessy UL Explorer (I only weigh 180 but wanted to option to show heavier campers, my bro-on-law weighs 250 lbs, the merits that I was convinced I'd find, and did). I didn't know at first how much of a DIY ethic existed surrounding UL gear so I really didn't even consider making my own, otherwise I would have been hammocking 6 months earlier. This stuff ain't cheap. Naturally, upon trying it out the questions and possibilities began to arise in my mind and when they did I turned to forums. Obviously this one was one of the first I came across and I feel that I've been reading it's contents long enough without contributing that it is time I officially make my love for hanging public.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwatson24 View Post
    Hello, and thanks for the invite to introduce myself.
    Welcome.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Ira Jackson

Hello Comrades

Hey,

My name is Ira... I live in Crested Butte Colo. area.. I have a couple of buddies up there that were into hammocks , which in turn got me into hammocks, and now have been traveling from Colo. up through Oregon and Washington , through the Redwoods and down through the deserts, and now am in Florida . Enjoying the National Parks and Forests. I have never slept better in my life and will definently never pay for a view again. I will just hike to my own. Unfortunently my pack , Speer hammock , UQ and sleeping bag all got stolen in Tallahassee Fl. If anyone has any gear they are trying to get rid of or if it is just taking up space let me know.....I could use it....... Nevermind all that .. Hanging is my life now and Im glad there is a place to come converse with fellow hangers.

Ira

• + New Posts
  • Page 38 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast