Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    OES Ultra
    Insulation
    Under Ground Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thumbs up What Made me a "Hanger"

Meet a former Navy Seal while hiking the "Hundred Mile Wilderness" in Maine. He recommended using a Hammock, that was in 2004. I did try a H.H. a couple of times back then and didn't like it.

Just got back from the River To River in Illinois, and realized just how God awful sleeping on the ground is at my age. Purchased a ENO DBL a couple of weeks ago. After learning a couple of valuable things about hanging adjustments and how to lay properly I'm "Getting the Hang of Things". I'm liking it.

I think for my upcoming snowboarding trips, I'll go to ground.

This Hammock Forum site ROCKS! I've been getting some great info, just by reading the different post. Thanks guys/gals.
    Last edited by Wolverine; 07-03-2010 at 17:16.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    I don't even know where to start except that as a youngster I was all about being a harcore infantry soldier, and was an avid Army issue equipment collector. While camping in Ruiodoso New Mexico I started remembering how painful tent camping tended to be on my hips and shoulders, and I remembered that old Army issue cavas jungle hammock I had as a kid I used to sleep in about as often as my parents would let me sleep in the woods. I later started doing a large amount of kayaking on the weekends, finding suitable place to tent camp river side can be a CHORE!

So I started my search for something lighter, more packable,and more weather proof than an army issue jungle hammock. I found Hennessy Hammocks. I saw the newer more sensible design, and the weight savings and purchased 3 of them immediately. I gave one to my friend that used to camp with me all the time, one for myself, and an extra in case I blew one out, or someone needed to borrow one. The rest is history.

I was brought here by the need to lighten my load, and other friends of mine wanting to hang, but are unable to afford some of the hammock options. Amongst all of my searching, browsing and studying I found this site, and immediately joined. I'm happy to be here, there is a wealth of knowledge like no other in this website.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Hello from a New Member

I am getting back into camping after a lay off of 20 or so years. This time I want to do backpacking. I have never enjoyed sleeping on the ground. It is hard and when it rains I have never had a tent that did not have water on the floor. A hammock seems to be the perfect answer to comfortable, dry sleeping. I am now looking at the formitable task of supplying myself. Everything seems to be expensive. It will probably take months to acquire the stuff I need to get started, but that is good because it allows me time to research the best options. I am leaning in the direction of a Clark NX-150 at this time. But I am going to pay attention to what I read here before I make the purchase. I do not want to invest in something that I will not use, or love to use. I am still curious about staying warm. I am confused because there seems to be so many opinions: Under quilts, pads, heavier bags, etc. I am again leaning toward a Big Agnes with the integral pad. Any hints you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I will be equiped by next spring and can be meeting some of you on the trail. Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    I'll throw mine in.

In May I took a trip to Dayton for a large gather of amateur radio operators. I met K1YPP and bought his book on his adventures of hiking the AT. He chose a hammock instead of a tent. This intrigued me. Every year hams have a 24hr event called Field Day. This year I wanted to stay all 24hrs so I needed a way of sleeping at night for a short period. I have tents but was afraid I would be too tired to pitch it. I was not sure if I would sleep or stay up and did not want to pitch a tent and not use it. After spending many hours reviewing hammocks on google searches I could not find a single review that was bad. It seemed everyone that bought one enjoyed it. Went to REI and bought a ENO Singlenest and a set of straps.

At Field Day I pitched the hammock between two trees using the straps. I'm not to fond of the straps. They work but the loops are too far apart and I need better accuracy on adjustments. I ended up sleeping 3 hours and my nephew used it for 10. I was well rested!

I normally sleep in a bed and I have sleep issues where I wake up tired or with a headache so I did more research on the benefits of sleeping in a hammock. Instead of spending thousands on a sleep study I decided to experiment with the hammock. I purchased a hammock stand off hammocks.com. The stand did not arrive till after the 4th and we were in Nashville over that weekend. I traded in the ENO SN for a Double Nest. i wanted more room. At my sister-in-law's house I hung the ENO from the rafters of their patio. I slept there while everyone slept inside (in the AC). At 6:00am I awoke and was well rested. I also noticed I had more energy through the day.

On the 6th FedEx dropped off the stand. I cleared out part of my home office and set it up. I slept in the ENO DN until Friday. On Friday I made a hammock using some 400# cord and a queen size sheet. I did this because I was afraid that my poodle would rip thorough the ENO. She has long nails. I found the queen sheet to be softer and more comfortable than the ENO and if it ripped I would just buy another sheet at Wal-Mart.

My oldest daughter is 7 and I've been living in the spare bedroom since her mom was pregnant. My wife would get up throughout the night then so I moved to the other bedroom to get sleep. The metal stand is too bug for my office so I'm designing a replacement made from 4x4. The stand is too long and I have to remove one end of the hammock and walk over the stand to get to my desk. I want to build a stand that is just the length needed to hang the hammock at an almost horizontal position.

I did the experiment this week and noticed a few things.

a) I watched more TV.

This is not a bad thing. I watched maybe 4hrs of TV this week which is more than I watched last month! I always wanted to watch a little bit more TV but I had problems getting comfortable and I hardly ever watch movies because I can't sit still long. The hammock in my office is comfortable and helps me relax. I told my wife before "I would like to watch some TV tonight but I would need a Valumn to do that".

b) I'm rested

I get a better sleep and have more energy in the day.

c) I get up earlier.

Because I get a better sleep I don't seem to need more of it.

I'll probably move a stand and hammock into the wife's bedroom and then I can spend time with her but get good sleep. We will also convert the spare bedroom into the kids play area with a futon that realitives can use when visiting. I had a futon before and my parents slept on it. I can remember my dad's quote "Do you know the difference between your futon and the floor?" No. "About 6 inches."

Well, that is my story and I'm sticking too it.

Chris

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Rhino
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Changed my mind as usual . . .

I am now leaning toward a Hennessy Deep Jungle. I will probably change again. It has a better weight and I like that an insulated pad can be inserted between the bottom sheets. I was wondering if a down quilt can be inserted but my quess is that it would be compressed. My son has a net type hammock in his yard and I have been laying in it lately to get the feel of a hammock. I think that it is very comfortable. I can never remember being able to say that on the ground. But I have never spent the night in a hammock either. Even though a hike is months off, I am having a great time researching and reading posts on the hiking forums.

Hammock
    SB pro
    Tarp
    chinook
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've never been hammock camping and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I've seen the world and it seems like the most comfortable way to go. I'm looking for advice for equipment on a budget.

Thanks and tight lines

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Well watching shugs videos and GreensPaul persuasion and the fact I hated not sleeping sound on the ground

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    3x4m & 6x8m silnyl
    Insulation
    An hotel suite
    Suspension
    Gripper Drippers
    Images

Muddy boots

Many times you need to go to bed wearing muddy boots. How you get in the hammock, how you remove your muddy boots, where you store them so they aren't any wetter in the morning --- all those factors should be considered.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe A-Sym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Tarp
    Insulation
    Therm-A-Rest
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    The main reason I became a hanger is my back.
    I love to camp and backpack but sleeping on the ground really screws my back up even if I use an Air bed.
    So I tried hanging and will not go back unless I absolutely have to sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    My interest in hanging is so new that calling myself a "hanger" rolls awkwardly off the tongue. Like Rob in High Fidelity, "I felt like all those people who suddenly shaved their heads and said they'd always been punks." Even so, with this rusty steel trap head of mine...well, thank goodness for browser histories. :P

Apparently, on June 29, 2010--after returning from a group trip to Estes Park where my one free night (before the rest of the group arrived) was spent camping with a leaky air bed--I was searching for lighter alternatives to bulky air mattresses. In the comment section for a Therm-a-rest Prolite, I read the following:

"I'm planning a 4 day trip in the Adirondacks. I'll be using a hammock style tent, and I'm curious if other folks generally use a sleeping pad for comfort in addition to the hammock."

A "hammock style tent," I thought? Aroo?

There was also a response to that comment that mentioned a Hennessy Hammock. A quick google later, and I was watching youtube videos...first about HH, then about hammock camping in general...stumbled across HF...Shug's videos...and the next thing I know, I'm purchasing an ENO Doublenest. I figured that if I didn't like hammock camping, I could still hang the hammock at the site for lounging about--it would be so much lighter weight than an equally comfortable camp chair!

And I'm still not completely converted. My first trial run showed promise, though. And numerous dry hangs in a local park, with a good book and a light breeze....

At the very least, I'm a newly devoted "hammock relaxer."
    -->dvis.

• + New Posts
  • Page 49 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast