Page 56 of 258 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
    daviddwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    I've always been searching for the smallest, lightest-weight tent/shelter when backpacking. (Most of the weight of a ground tent is the poles.)
    Plus....
    Tired of trying to find flat ground to pitch a tent,
    tired of clearing away rocks and sticks only to sleep on the hard, uneven ground,
    tired of having to carry a foam sleeping pad,
    tired of rain water seeping into the bottom of the tent due to poorly seam sealed floor, then having to wipe the muddy bottom of the tent before packing up ...

Then, I found the Hennessy Hammock website and the rest is history.
    I researched on line and decided between three brands. I called him for advice two weeks ago and he said come over and try mine out. He loaned me a Clark, Hennessy, and Byer to try out in the basement and outside (snow and 30 degrees). It was very comfortable and sold me on getting into the versatility of hammock camping. Love the idea of using it as a hanging chair, or kicking back in camp. Just retired last year and am looking forward to doing a lot more camping. Bought one for the wife, although she says it is too claustrophobic. I will miss camping with her.

daviddwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    I've always been searching for the smallest, lightest-weight tent/shelter when backpacking. (Most of the weight of a ground tent is the poles.)
    Plus....
    Tired of trying to find flat ground to pitch a tent,
    tired of clearing away rocks and sticks only to sleep on the hard, uneven ground,
    tired of having to carry a foam sleeping pad,
    tired of rain water seeping into the bottom of the tent due to poorly seam sealed floor, then having to wipe the muddy bottom of the tent before packing up ...

Then, I found the Hennessy Hammock website and the rest is history.
    I researched on line and decided between three brands. I called him for advice two weeks ago and he said come over and try mine out. He loaned me a Clark, Hennessy, and Byer to try out in the basement and outside (snow and 30 degrees). It was very comfortable and sold me on getting into the versatility of hammock camping. Love the idea of using it as a hanging chair, or kicking back in camp. Just retired last year and am looking forward to doing a lot more camping. Bought one for the wife, although she says it is too claustrophobic. I will miss camping with her.
    TonyF is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Well I have been on for a few months now,but what made me a hanger was when my son and I were hiking the A.TI dreaded the going to sleep in the tent. I have a go=lite tent it is a nice tent but if you ever hiked the A.T in Maine you know that the ground is rutty and rocky. I never got a good night sleep, and that's when I decided to become a hanger. I have been sleeping so much better and even sleep right threw sometimes. When I don't need to well ummmmmm welll you know if there was snow I would right my name in it lol lol. Tiredhiker

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've always liked to lounge in a hammock but had never really thought about sleeping in one. I was at a local outdoor store one day and the was talking to the manager, who is also a kayak instructor, said ,"When I'm on an overnighter with a class they all look for a place to set up their tents and I just string up my Hennessey Hammock." That got me to researching and viola.
    If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable.

Potterer
    I'm too old to sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    I used a US jungle hammock while in the Army, but it got loaned to a friend and never found it's way home. Got out and spent the last 25 years in the dirt. I am at a point now where I love to fly fish and have to go it alone most of the time so back to a hammock for better sleeping. I'm too old to sleep on the ground. Always seem to miss something that pokes me when I would clear a spot for the tent.

Wow new suspension methods, UQ/TQ so many changes yet my DD Travel Hammock is very much like my old Jungle hammock that has been updated!
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

Hammock
    DreamHammock!
    Tarp
    DDXL/OESUltra
    Suspension
    AWS!!
    I have a "pal" who just finished a summer motorcycle tour with a Hennesey - I looked at some of his pictures, and the places he slept, with the views he had, I thought - "I need to look into that..."

I picked up a single ENO that I've taken on day hikes - particularly this past weekend up to hawksbill in Shenandoah - not a lot of trees at the top, but I found a couple that had a nice view while relaxing and hanging.

Peapod is gonna get ordered shortly.

I also have high aspirations of doing some bikepacking. The size a hammock and the pea pod can pack into is MUCH more attractive than trying to fit the tent/pad/sleeping bag somehow on the bike.

I own a NICE tent too - thremarest neoair....etc...etc...etc...So, I'm looking to try putting the Neo in the peapod to see how it does - I'm thinkin' I'll have a winner on my hands...

Thanks for all the info - I'm somewhat of a lurker here at this point.....LOTS of great information - thanks to all those with knowledge who contribute regularly!!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 in camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex camo

Intro: WoodmanFla

Howdy folks, My name is Scott you can call me Woodman, or Scott or anything else you want. I can't think of anything I haven't been called and did'nt answer too. Pleased to sorta meet you all. I found this group while doing my investigation into the new hammock systems available. Watched numerous videos with and by some of your members and what a colorful crew you have here.
    I've been an avid outdoorsmen since I was a kid in the Boy Scouts about 150 years ago . I've done mostly tent camping in "primitive" scenarios i.e. no campgrounds and I really enjoy getting off the trail and trekking cross country where there is little to no chance of encountering other campers.
    I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and go into the woods as often as I can. I tried hammock camping originally about 15 years ago using a Vietnam era jungle hammock. While it was awesome for getting me off the ground and sorta kept the bugs off of me it was uncomfortable and definitely not water proof. I tried some different mods like a tarp as a starter. This was a definite improvement. I was still getting bit through the hammock wherever my skin made contact with the net so I added spreader bars in an effort to keep the mosquito netting away from me. This was another pretty good improvement but the thing was still too uncomfortable for me. So, I gave up on the hammocks for quite a few years untill I started seeing new products like the Hennesy, and the Clark.
    After doing months of shopping , price comparisons, reading customer reviews and examining my own needs and wants I settled on a Clark NA-250 in camo. For the tarp I ordered the biggest one Clark offers.This one is made for a double hammock they make. This provides me with a large dry area outside the hammock so I dont get "hammock fever" if it's raining a lot.Gotta tell you it was the best investment I ever made in my outdoor gear. In all my years of "roughing it" I have NEVER slept all night long and woke up in the same position like I do in my Clark ( and I have serious back issues ). Anyway, thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums, WoodmanFla.

I saw your "Handle" and couldn't resist to say hey.

I too am a new hammock camper. Not so new to tent camping but as I get older, I'm am finding new ways to keep sleeping comfortably outside.
    Lots of helpful people out here.
    Read, learn and let us know whats on your mind.
    If you're anything like allot of us, You'll be addicted to the Hammock Forums in no time.

-islander

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Summer Incubator
    Suspension
    SMC GH Spyderline
    My GF and I are planning to do a 2 week Backpacking trip in Hawaii. She started to do some research and came across articles of people hammock camping.

She started to get all excited and told me about it. I figured it was a fad. (She gets a little too excited about the latest and greatest things) So, she bought a cheap double wide Eno hammock to try.

I tried it out and wasn't all that happy with it b/c I can't sleep if my legs are raised above my chest. Knees don't like it.

I found an A-sym hammock on sale and figured I give that a 1 last go. First night night was rough, but second night was great once I figured how to lay it.

By far much better then sleeping on the ground. Still a hammock NOOB, but I think I'm sold this little crazy fad.

• + New Posts
  • Page 56 of 258 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast