GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    I feel that my choice to hang was based alot on my position of sleeping. Laying on your side on the ground is always terrible, unless you bring a full-on air mattress. This was not possible because I backpack much more often than car camp. My hammock is light, small to carry, no fear of water, and can sleep in any position comfortably. I think the reason why more people don't hang is simply contempt prior to investigation. Because once you try a hammock, why go back to being a ground dweller?
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fantana View Post
    I think the reason why more people don't hang is simply contempt prior to investigation.
    also, i think it has much to do with the way "camping" is advertised. in all the books, commercials, ads, billboards, signs and other media you almost always see a TENT in the picture. this method of identifying "tents" with "camping" has been going on far longer than i've been around.

i guess you can say that we hangers have "think outside the tent" mentality, and thats ok by me~!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I moved up to the Twin Cities area of Mn to be with my girlfriend who I met while working on Princess Cruises. I was looking up videos on you tube to see what Superior hiking trails and came across Shug's videos. After watching some of them I thought hammocking looked like a blast and I've been hooked ever since.

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kifaru Woobie
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I saw someone on another forum I'm on post up a pic of his setup...thought it sounded like a good way to relax out in the back yard, so I headed to my local outdoor store and found the ENO Singlenest in stock!

Originally got the crappy "pro-straps" and found they stretch...a LOT. And that's when I found hammockforums...learned about Amsteel and whoopieslings, Dutch clips and Biners and sort of tweaked my setup a bit.

It's nice resting in the back yard in my hammock...I go there and hang out when I'm stressed and need to relax. It works very well for that.

I need to take the setup out camping now.
    Last edited by jumpmaster; 12-13-2010 at 16:47.
    Like my avatar? Want a custom bracelet and a great way to carry spare cord? Check out my website!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Insulation
    Dow Corning R-21;)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    When I lived in S. Florida one of my kayaking friends was into hammocks. He used one on a one night backpacking trip we took in Big Cypress. Fast forward 12 years, I now live in the Chicago area, a couple of my camping/kayaking friends have just gotten into hammocks and are pulling me in. My HH arrives this week and my whoopie slings next week. Hoping to use it on a kayak trip on the Buffalo River this spring, the Apostle Islands this summer, plus some backpacking trips.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I moved up to the Twin Cities area of Mn to be with my girlfriend who I met while working on Princess Cruises. I was looking up videos on you tube to see what Superior hiking trails and came across Shug's videos. After watching some of them I thought hammocking looked like a blast and I've been hooked ever since.
    Funny! I performed on Princess for many a year. My 19 year old daughter was conceived on the Sovereign of the Seas.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I had both knees replaced (along with a few other set backs) and wanted to find a way to be able to keep moto camping. While researching cots and chairs (still want me a Kermit chair BTW) I stumbled upon a Hennesy pic and thread (who knows where). Thinking that this would be perfect as a chair/couch and tent replacement I started the research. Somehow found HF and things kicked into overdrive;
    1-WBBB 1.7 dbl & Kelty 12x12.
    2-Assorted S-biners and different line sizes.
    3-Byer Vario hammock stand...backyard experiment station.
    4-Warry Mart brue pads.
    5-KAQ NR DW UQ (an entire sentence using acronyms! ).
    6-More "stuff" (shock cord, Triangle Thingies, tree straps) ordered from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment and waiting.
    7-Yet another WB hammock enroute. Traveler 1.1 dbl.

Now all I need is to be set free from LEO workmans comp "purgatory" and retire so I can get outside into the high country and actually set up in the woods.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Funny! I performed on Princess for many a year. My 19 year old daughter was conceived on the Sovereign of the Seas.
    Shug
    Haha That's awesome! You know when I first started watching your vids it reminded me of acts that I had seen on princess, except way funnier. There isn't enough Sling blade on the seven seas.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 whipped ends
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x12' Sil
    Suspension
    Whoopie SLS
    I'm not sure how I missed this thread for all these years, but I didn't really post here until recently.

In '95, my friend and I spent 10 weeks backpacking in the Sierras. We both had a mesh hammock in our, monstrous 75+ lb, packs. We would mostly use them on our layover days to lounge around in, but it never occurred to either of us to sleep in them overnight. Even though I spent many hours sleeping in them

Fast forward a few years, and I was trying to arrange a thru hike of the PCT. I tried a couple years in a row, but it never worked out. During that time though, I was exposed to Ray Jardine's ideas and started making my own gear. While researching different designs and materials, I stumbled upon Ed Speer's book. I ordered a Hennessy Hammock, but didn't care for it. I promptly built my own per Ed's instructions. That was several years and dozens of hammocks ago.

I never liked the bulk of the knots in Ed's design, so I started looking for alternatives. Eventually I found my way here. Ironically, I had already tried many of the methods I found here. It was reassuring that to find that my ideas weren't as crackpot as I thought they were (like zip tie whipping) at the time.

Anyway, that's my story. Not all that different from others.
    Life is hard? Compared to what?

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Haha That's awesome! You know when I first started watching your vids it reminded me of acts that I had seen on princess, except way funnier. There isn't enough Sling blade on the seven seas.
    +1 on the Sling Blade reference. Shug's impersonation is spot on.
    Mmmm hmmph.

Syb

• + New Posts
  • Page 60 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast