DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    +1 on the Sling Blade reference. Shug's impersonation is spot on.
    Mmmm hmmph.

Syb
    Haha thanks. I actually went out and watched the movie for the first time because of those videos. Made it so much funnier.

Hammock
    HH Exped Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow / Incubator
    Suspension
    WS, DBuckles

How I got here... first post

So I came back to sleeping outside on purpose after my son was born. We were car camping when he was three, progressed on to lighter and lighter loads of stuff needed to be in the woods comfortably through walking in state parks to the 'primitive' sites and then a three day weekend on the AT last year.

We got a late start on the trail after driving in some nasty thunderstorms and spent a couple hours walking in the dark looking for a place to pitch our tent. It was a big uphill section, the seven year old boy was really tired by the time we got on top of the ridge, I was feeling some stress for dragging him into an unplanned night hike, and it was not fun. Great weather rescued the remainder of our trip, but our pace was set by site selection all the way.

After that trip I remembered seeing hammock shelter setups on some lightweight sites, and thought about all those trees where we might have stopped... So I took the plunge on a couple hammocks and tarps and quickly realized this is a much more comfortable way to spend the night AND quick enough to pitch for a primo mid-day break.

After a big slap to my own forehead, I can't figure why this isn't the norm. I mean I am pretty lucky healthwise, but the ground hasn't gotten any softer!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OES
    Insulation
    YETI & JRB quilts
    Suspension
    straps and buckle.
    Greetings...I was in a hiking store a few years back and saw a crazycreek hammock set up in the store. I tried it out right there and fell in love and that was 4 years ago..I have since purchased a HH asym and now a Bear Bridge and and will most likely get a a black bird to in the near future.....I still have every hammock Ive bought and still use the older ones from time to time or let friends try them.

Hammock
    DIY HH
    Some time ago I thought about the idea, but after getting my motorbike and as I love doing trails in the bush, I soon realized that packing space comes at a premium on the bike and level ground is not that readily either. Giving my first hammock a try tonight in my backyard, but so far I am 75% converted.. YAHOO!!

Hammock
    Eno double nest
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    UCRS
    It was a total accident to be honest. My GF bought me a ENO hammock for fathers day this year, and my little boy loved sitting in it with me so much, I decided to hang it indoors. While looking up tips for an adjustable suspension system, I saw a few pics of people camping in them and I was hooked. I have always enjoyed the out doors, (camping, hiking hunting fishing ect) and I have always enjoyed a good nap in a hammock. Im a little embarassed to admit it, but I never even considerd camping in a hammock. Its one of those things thats so obvious I just over looked it. Now that I have seen the light, my days of assembling tents in the dark, sleeping on rocks or roots, (or realizing you pitched your tent in the lowest place around by waking up after a good rain and discovering your air mattress is now a floatation device), are now in the past.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Te-wa great question, Enjoying reading these posts. I'm brand new and not a full fledged hanger as yet. (Just posted my introduction today). To answer your question about "What made you a hanger?" In my case intrested in becoming a one. I would have to say reading books and websites about AT through hikes and their sleep systems they used. WhiteBlaze articles about hammocking but the most influence for me was Shug's videos! Enjoy your Holidays.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    Te-wa great question, Enjoying reading these posts. I'm brand new and not a full fledged hanger as yet. (Just posted my introduction today). To answer your question about "What made you a hanger?" In my case intrested in becoming a one. I would have to say reading books and websites about AT through hikes and their sleep systems they used. WhiteBlaze articles about hammocking but the most influence for me was Shug's videos! Enjoy your Holidays.
    Too cool!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Searching this thread for the word "Shug" returns 50 results. A large proportion of those results are people saying that our favorite unicycling juggler is in some way responsible for their venturing into the hammocking world.

THAT is too cool!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Searching this thread for the word "Shug" returns 50 results. A large proportion of those results are people saying that our favorite unicycling juggler is in some way responsible for their venturing into the hammocking world.
    The Shug is obviously a major carrier of the "hammock sickness"...infecting many and deepening the "malady" for those of us already "stricken". There is a cure but most don't see it as a problem that needs a cure.

Hammock
    2010 DD Travel Hammock / Bivi
    Tarp
    DD XL Tarp 3x4.5M
    Insulation
    SnugPak UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hi H/F
    I decided to turn towards the hammock after a lot of sore sleepless nights below the stars.
    For years now I’ve been backpacking in Scotland and have only had a count of good sleeps, and I can count them on one hand...
    I was searching for a new one man tent on the net and came across a company called DD Hammocks, Wow! I thought
    After that I had planed a trip in a forest park near to where I stay, after searching for a good spot of which I could only find 3 in the hole park, I thought If I had a hammock it would not be a problem, I could hang it anywhere.
    So went on the net and checked a lot of hammock vids on YouTube, so 2 weeks back I called up a nice fella at DD Hammocks and got a good deal from him on a DD travel hammock and XL tarp..
    From when I got the hammock I’ve been out 3 times with it and a pad I had as insulation, witch fits in the hammock quite nice but was a bit cold, so went and got a Snugpak UQ witch works really well for the Scottish whether.
    I must say this is the one of the best things I have done in my life is getting a hammock, the difference in the sleep and not having to deal with public places to camp.
    So yeah! I really do have the bug and now spend a lot of time on hear and the net looking up stuff to do with hammocks.

Bushshark
    (newb)
    Ayrshire Scotland UK

• + New Posts
  • Page 61 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast