Hammock
    wbbb + TTT switchback 1.1
    Tarp
    TTT / Tom Clayton
    Insulation
    down, relex,therma
    Suspension
    whoopie
    being previously a tent camper I had always imagined what it must feel like to sleep out in a hammock, being wrapped in a sheet exposed to attack on all sides, underneath and vulnerable. I decided to try it to test out my grit and found out it was not as scary as I imagined (even as a solo camper like myself in some pretty remte places) and I liked it SO much better than any tent.

being moreso exposed than a confined tent makes me feel more in touch with my surroundings, more appreciative of it and especially to the lovely trees that support my weight.

a hammocking like for me thanks
    Last edited by WildOne; 01-28-2011 at 04:40.

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Silnylon
    Insulation
    DYI Quilt & Foam
    Suspension
    Warbonnet
    Images
    I have been backpacking since 1968 yes Im an old dude. Backpacking has been a very important part of my life. To return to the wild is such a part of me still. I have gone from 65 LBS to 18 to 22 LBS. Reason being I had a herniated disc and thought my packing days where over. Well I was blessed and recovered with out surgery. I have since then been very careful not to re-injury myself again. I found hammocks have given me a new lease on packing and I am very comfortable on my trips. Thanks to all the great post here I have been inspired to think out side the packing box and enjoy my trips even more. I have made a lot of DIY stuff and enjoy tinkering. Check out my Video's on YouTube.
    www.youtube.com/user/BigTVideos?feature=mhum

Hammock
    only hammock: Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra-sil
    Insulation
    research in prog
    Suspension
    poly straps/whoops

Pranger

The title of this post is an abbreviation of pre and hanger, because I'm still in the process of gearing up. There's 2-4 ft. of snow on the ground here in "north Jersey" and I'm no Shug I'm shure...not yet anyway, so I won't be doing my first hang till I can see grass. My best friend since high school (Tom, aka Doinit) infected me with the AT bug this past fall, and we're planning to "thru hike" NJ on the AT in May ( to real thru-hikers) starting in NY and ending in PA so we can lie and say we hiked 3 states on the AT (we're in our late 50's and we'll say just about anything to impress the ladies ok? gimme a break!) So we're both doing a lot of gear research and Tom comes across hammock camping somehow. I did my own research, starting with tothewoods.net, JustJeff's site and ended up here. Go figya! So that's where it stands. I bought a Skeeter Beeter Pro because the unofficial state birds of NJ are the mosquito and the black fly; I got Brian MacMillin to make me a custom MacCat Ultra (144x120)... he's working on it (gotta love that kid, doncha? he ain't cheap but I bet he's really good at what he does) whoopie slings, soft shackles and toggles (the only metal in my hang) AND tie-dye colored simple sling tree huggers from strapworks.com are all in the mail. As are my hat, patch and decal from the Hammock Forums store.

So wish me luck y'all.

Look for the book "The Beer Belly Boys Stumbling On" on Amazon and Barnes & Noble websites in mid to late 2011 or early 2012. (Yes, that's exactly what it looks like...shameless self-promotion.)

P.S. I may look like a tall Ewok with alopecia, but I'd rather think of myself as a short albino Na'vi...hmmm...that doesn't sound too appealing either.
    Last edited by Bodhi; 01-29-2011 at 06:22.

Hammock
    WBBB!,bias ww BMBH, DIY
    Tarp
    JRB, GG cuben twin
    Insulation
    tewa Mt.3. GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Amstel
    Images

Started with rock crag hammock

I started with Eno for Chritsmas with slap straps, bug net, and Eno tarp. Slap straps are all ready tossed to the side and changed out to adjustable webbing with rap rings. Had to go with tubular webbing stretch is minimal till I switch it out soon. Climbing left me with lots of mil spec laying around. All ready have eye on next hammock and son gets Eno set up with mods. He is smart kid will probably steal new one when I buy it. Eno tarp and bug net fine for that set up going into Texas spring going to try and make my own tarp out of silnylon soon. Thanks site for the info

Hammock
    Blackbird
    I've backpacked for a long time, but my last trip was in 2006. I've been dealing with chronic pain for a long time, and at home I've switched beds several times. The tempur-pedic worked for awhile, but the pain returned. I got desperate and ordered a Brazilian Hammock which has been amazing and I hate it whenever I have to go back to sleeping on a bed.

The biggest problem I've had with my Brazilian Hammock (setup in my bedroom as my bed) has been the cold during winter. I use a down comforter wrapped with a poncho liner under the hammock which works, but is a bit of a pain.

Having slept in a Brazilian Hammock for awhile now, and thinking about getting back to backpacking, I really wanted to take it with me but it's not the kind of item that can survive for long on the trails and I knew it would be too cold to sleep in. I knew that there was a small sub-culture at one time for backpacking with hammocks so I found my way to these forums to do the research both for my at-home hammock and for finding something I could use on the trail.

Just ordered a Blackbird with winter set (UQ and TQ) from Warbonnet and will probably order some 3-season UQ and TQs once I get a feel for them. They'll double in use for at-home and in the field.

Hammock
    DIY DL & HH DeluxExplorer
    Tarp
    DIY 4seas cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY,UQ&TQ,HHSS,Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    In December 2010 I was researching hiking, my sons about to graduate and we had talked about it but ended up tent camping at our fav spot. I wanted to get him interested before he is off to college or military.

I came across so much and discovered hammock camping. It is a perfect fit since I love napping in the yard in my handmade Panamanian fish nest hammock.

I’m a DIY type and well now I’m searching for someone near NW Indiana that has experience in hiking and hammock camping so it might be a little more enjoyable at first.

I’m sure like many after that Ill find and make my own mods to gear and such.

Hammock
    1.7 WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacDeluxe
    Insulation
    3/4 4Seas. Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Webbing
    This.

My face when I choose this,

=

UQ=Hampon

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I admit I'm a bit of a gearhead. I first saw a ENO when paddling Lac La Croix a couple of years ago. I was facinated. How could I have overlooked something so simple?? My son had a Scout campout and One of the Dads had a HH Scout. It was calling me....Fishpig this is the way to go. So I mothballed the Tent, bought a HH Scout for my son, and got a Deep Jungle xl zip for me. I had no idea there were so many other hangers and so many accesories to truly make a 4 season shelter. Winters are long here in MN, they're even longer when you sit on your butt and do nothing. My HH is going up in my backwoods Saturday. My old Kelty backpack is loaded, (Holy Smokes is it loaded!) and ready to go. Picked up some adjustable trekking poles, and will wade through 4ft of snow,to shovel out a spot, to "hang for the weekend". I'm sick of being inside!!!!! Bring on the COLD.
    Last edited by Fishpig; 02-03-2011 at 14:21.

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My wife and I love the outdoors. Everything from kayaking, geocaching, snowboarding, hiking, fishing and of course backpacking. We started out with the typical stuff....small lite weight tent and ground pads. It was nice but the tent was just too small even for us. So over this winter I have been doing my research on really lite backpacking products and techniques. And by the power and vast information of the internet. I stumbled upon the various people that did something that just made my head spin....they slept not on the ground but better yet above it. Well this just sparked something that was deep inside of me that was just dying to get out. So I kept digging and digging and still digging to this day (well not right now cause I'm telling you my story) but I think you get my point. I eventually stumbled upon Mr. Shug's videos and at first was a little thrown off by his character but quickly like most of you out there grew to love him. And through his videos, Hammock Forums and other great videos out there we are no longer ground dwellers but children nestled in the arms of nature. The forums have been a great help in my research and this is actually my first post so I hope it's ok. My wife and our pup sleeps in the HH Ultralite w/ Hex Fly and I have the HH DJ w/ Hex Fly. We are really happy with the Hennessy company and their product. Tom and the people there are second to none when it comes to costumer service. The list goes on and on of wonderful and inspiring people in the hammock community and I along with many others want to applaud and thank you for showing us the true essence of comfortable slumber.

Thanks,
    Maztrain

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Single, Triple, DIY
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    Pod/Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    I was browsing a camping equipment site about three years ago and found out about the hammock bliss single. After ordering it i set it up once in my back yard then packed it away in a box for 8 months (stupid me). Later while packing for a hiking trip i found it in one of my camping boxes and decided to give it a try again i still brought my pad and bivey for the ground on the trip but after i slept in the hammock one night the pad never left the pack for the rest of the trip. I recently aquired another hammock the hammock bliss triple just because it said it was the bigest comercially made portable hammock. Now i bring both of those with me when i go hiking with my firends and lown them out. Recently each of them have started getting there own hammocks. After finding Just Jeffs page on hammocks i created a acount here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 64 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast