Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Started doing some camping last summer with my adult sons...had a blast, but kept waking up stiff/sore almost unable to walk.

Got some cool new camping gear from my boys for Christmas, telling me they wanted to do more.

Looking at gear sites, I stumbled across a video of a guy in an ENO Doublenest. Started watching videos, found videos from several of you guys here (including Shug's, of course), and stumbled across Hennessy's site.

Placed an order.

Did my first overnight hang this past Friday night...woke up the next morning and didn't even realize I wasn't sore for a while.

Now...I hang.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, S-bag
    Suspension
    DIY rings/webbing
    I stumbled up to Shugs videos when trying to find out if there are people who camp above ground.

At that time I needed a festival camping gear for summer, that isn't a tent.
    Because few years earlier I bought a 20e tent because of the upcoming ProvinssiRock festival.
    The tent was ok until I woke up after a night partying hard to realize how good my tents waterproofing worked.
    Well, it worked perfectly at keeping the water inside the tent.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing and Knots
    Minimalist designs with maximum functionality dominate the market. As a SCUB diver, I like this type of equipment.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp

1/2 newb looking to improve

I decided to merge my loves of hiking and camping into one. After reading the backpackers bible and learning about tarp camping I realized I liked the idea but hate ants. Then I saw an ads for clark tents and thought that was the perfect solution. Made myself a DIY, used the rain fly from the family car camping tent went on my first trek and slept like a baby. Now I am gearing up for my second year and want to make some improvements.

Hammock
    Walhalla 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    OES MC DLX Sil
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/ GL Bag
    I bought my first ENO single to take climbing with me (great belay seat!). A few weeks later, I went hiking with a friend of mine in Uwharrie NF and he brought his Hennessy. After I "woke up" after about an hour of sound sleep, he crawled out smiling...a month later, I had a Fly and bugnet from ENO, then upgraded to the HH UL Backpacker for the weight savings. Oh yeah, I've hated slap straps since about 2003!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    OES Cuben Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images

Why I decided to hang

I love backpacking and flyfishing, but the best flyfishing spots usually don't have campsites nearby. Wanting to minimize my impact, I figured I'd give hanging a try.

The helpful comments I've read on this forum further convinced me that " these are people I'd like to hang out with"

That and I subscribe to the philosophy: No pain = No pain!

Hammock
    my eno double nest
    Tarp
    not yet
    Insulation
    cheap foam pad
    Suspension
    cam straps
    Images

Smile hammock everyday

I bought my eno hammock wholesale from the company i work for, it was just for relaxing. Then the most amazing thing happened, i realized how great it was to sleep in, every night. I have a strange problem with sleeping on flat surfaces, beds, ground, floor, couches..etc... the curve of the hammock made my back not hurt in the morning. so i figured out how to set my hammock for sleeping in EVERY NIGHT. I have a system for setting it up inside a house ( if i'm allowed to drill into studs) and i often sleep outside because it's just nicer that way! i stay with friends when i travel and usually set up in their yard somewhere instead of a couch or spare room. works for them and me!!!!
    So i was looking for ideas about sewing my own bug net found this site and i think i'm in hammock heaven now!!!!
    been sleeping in my hammock just about every night for almost 4 years!!!!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 6'x8' Sil
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I 'spose my story is sort of an odd, self completing cycle sort of thing. I was a big hiker in high school (I'm a Yankee, born and bred), but when I went into the service in 2003, I moved down south. The bugs, lack of good trails, and ungodly summer heat in deep South Georgia made for unpleasant camping conditions, so I didn't get much time in the woods. While in the service I suffered a pretty nasty back injury that looked to have ended my career. I separated in 2009 with 30% disability due to severe sciatica and some wasting & numbness in my left leg from herniated discs. The doctors termed it 'Likely Irreversible'. At times I was reduced to walking with a cane.

That pretty much ended my hiking/camping aspirations, as I'm not a big fan of car camping, and that was about the only way I could tote around an air mattress thick enough to let me sleep on the ground without being crippled for days.

By chance, I happened to lay in a 'camping hammock' being sold by a couple at a little kiosk in the local mall last year, and I was caught off guard at how comfortable it really was. Particularly because it seemed to stretch my back right at the injured discs. I had no idea that folks had taken the art of hammock camping this far, but within a couple of days I had found WhiteBlaze, followed immediately by HF. I'm a side/stomach sleeper, so finding out that you could get a flat lay really sealed the deal. That all inspired me to get in the gym and try to build up the strength to get back in the woods. I figured at best I'd have good days and bad days, but I might get to the point where I could make it a few days in the woods happily.

Interestingly, that resolution to get in hiking shape, along with a bit of good luck in other areas, lead to a rapid and *significant* improvement in my back condition. 6 months on, my sciatica is virtually gone, my leg strength is back near 100% (Pressed 400lbs today in the gym Whoooo Buddy!), and just this week I passed my flight physical, and received approval to go back in the service with an even better job than I had the first go-round. I get my wings back, mostly thanks to a hammock.

-Smalls

Hammock
    gathered-end /w sock
    Tarp
    catcut w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ10D860/ TQ15D700
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    smalls, that's a beautiful "what made you a hanger". Congratulations for having ended your suffering!

Hammock
    hennessy scout
    just bought my first hammock. a hh scout. im just small enough for it and it was a good start out price. going for my first hike in a couple weeks. been looking around on the internet and have decided this is going to be the best sleeping option for hiking. i cant wait. anybody here from southwest ohio or close?

• + New Posts
  • Page 68 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168 ... LastLast