BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i need to get another 'yak. sold mine 3 years ago.

Hammock
    DIY 6X12
    Tarp
    DIY cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles/stra
    The guys in the scout troop started hanging in their GTs and Enos, one went to ground with a broken S hook in the wee hours of the morning, just missing a "death stob" to the spleen.(At least that's the way he told it!)

Decided that it was past time to learn how to do it right. No better place than here to do that! Man, this hanging' thing is contagious.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings
    Back in the mid 70's I used to bicycle camp all around Florida and got tired of sleeping in a tube tent on the ground. Tried a cheap net hammock ...no fire ants and no hard ground, but there were bugs, and it was chilly at night. Fast forward to now doing kayak tours and sleeping in a tent (hard ground, water, roots, etc,) remembered the hammock and got on the web. Saw the Hennessy site, this site, Shug's video's and bought a used HH Expedition off of very smart hammock hanger in Tallahassee. All of a sudden the skies parted and it's all sunshine and smiles! I sleep in a hammock every night now and love it.

Angry Locust Thorn

I decided to find a better alternative after spending the nite sleeping on a flat self-inflating mattress after running a locust thorn completely through it.

Hammock
    BMBH, WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly, HardRock
    Insulation
    HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Whoopies
    Mark me down as another Shug convert. Having active 'celebrities' on the forum is great. I still watch all his new videos and learn constantly. Plenty of other good video makers to watch too now; i.e. Grizz, WaterMonkey, and Babelfish5. Amazing community in this forum. Glad to be a part of it.

wsvegas

Noobie...

Hello all. I'm Wade from Texas. I was watching a few videos on camping and backpacking when I got back from a kayak trip at Lake Ouachita. While we were there, a nice little storm rolled through and my water-proof tent didn't live up to it's name. All of my bedding got soaked. Not to mention sleeping on the ground is not very comfortable. I saw a vid of hammock camping and thought that might be a better solution if I find myself in that situation again.

I like making my own stuff and made a hammock and tarp. I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I still need an underquilt (even in Texas it gets cold). I'm looking forward to my first hanging experience. I believe I'll draw the envy from my buddies who will be sleeping on the ground while I'm craddled in comfort.

I would love any advise anyone could send my way.

Thanks All...
    Wade

SunsetDreamer<3
    It's all about easy access snuggle time in the woods

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

+1

Quote Originally Posted by BootHole View Post
    Mark me down as another Shug convert. Having active 'celebrities' on the forum is great. I still watch all his new videos and learn constantly. Plenty of other good video makers to watch too now; i.e. Grizz, WaterMonkey, and Babelfish5. Amazing community in this forum. Glad to be a part of it.
    Yup.. Me too.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    August 2010, My brothers, my dad, three friends of mine, and I all went out on the first camp-out in years. At this camp-out we were all in tents, but we had one noob hanger that was upset since we didn't choose a spot that had no good trees to hang from. instead of moving deeper into the woods, my friend stayed in his tent. My dad and I were intreiged by this new concept of hammock camping, that after that camp out we decided to do some research.

December 2010, my dad joined HF before we even bought a single hammock as a source of research. At the time, the two biggest hammock companies were HH and WB. We stuied both and decided that the HH Exploer and Expedition were the best hammocks we chould buy for the price range we started with.

Mid Febuary 2011, We had the first hang with a 34 degree night. Both my dad and I had our HH and HHSS set ups, with ccfs and sleeping bags, and it was the WARMEST I have ever slept in a tent or hammock in a long time! I loved it. The part that sold me on hammocks was when my brothers were freezing in the tents, and my brother complained he wanted fire. My dad, being an army vet, had the mindset he always makes the fire for us. Also being an army vet, my dad has back problems. In less than 5 MINS he was out of that hammock moving and almost running to the fire ring and started the fire, before I chould get my clothes all on!
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

Hammock
    HH expidtion Zip mod #4
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajamba
    Insulation
    0* bag+HHSS
    Suspension
    WhoopieSling+biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BootHole View Post
    I was converted before I saw Shug's videos, but my dad looked at his videos during his research, so technically, He is also a Shug convert lol.
    Eagels may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked through jet engines!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 93 of 258 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast