Hammock
    Claytor JH & NN
    Tarp
    Claytor Camo
    Insulation
    LL UQ, RevX TQ
    Suspension
    ws-straps
    As I aged and gained weight, I discovered that the ground was not going to give me a decent night's rest any more. But I have a passion for photographing beautiful places, and so many of the most scenic locations tend to be remote (and relatively un-photographed as a result). I just had to find a way to to hike in and camp that could work for me.

Most landscape photographers know that the best times to shoot are around sunrise and sunset, that's when the light is best; one of the keys to taking great landscape pictures is to be there ready to shoot at those times of day. The only practical way to guarantee that for me is to camp at the location where I want to shoot the next morning/evening.

When my sons started doing multi-day hikes, somewhere along the way they learned about hammocks and started using them. Watching them must have planted a seed that has now finally sprouted with a vengeance.

The light came on, and I realized that hammock camping is the solution to my personal inaction. So here I am, working it out, getting the right set of gear together to go hiking/camping so I can shoot the photos that I dream of shooting!
    Hangin' round beats on the ground...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bob

Hammock
    HH UL bpk
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    My sons are old enough to start hiking the AT, so I started looking into current generation equipment and AT planning. That lead to Trail Days and Hennessy, which also works great for motorcycling trips.

The rest, as they say, is history. Now I've moved on to discovering UQ/TQ, gear hammocks, etc.

Well. I started out backpacking and tent camping, enjoyed it. Work issues intervened and a while has passed, but during that time i spent a lot of time in Panama, and there everyone has a hammock and I quickly learned to love them, never tying them to hiking though. Some how I stumbled onto HF, and WOW, did my eyes open. Today I ordered a NX-250/Vertex fly, and it also ships today, so if UPS doesn't mess up I can be hanging soon.

Hammock
    DD camping
    Tarp
    DD 3m x 3m
    Insulation
    Blizzard Bivi
    Suspension
    Whoopies & huggers
    Since all my camping gear is now 20 years old and starting to give up the ghost I wandered into the online world of lightweight bikepacking, and from there to you tube and the inimitable shug emery. From there is was a few short steps to buying a DD hammock and tarp and a few dry bags and off I go.

I never realised a hammock could be so comfortable. Unfortunately I can't hit the trails until the end of March due to prior commitments but I shall be using my time until then to perfect my set up and read as much as I can. I am a bit of a geek and like nothing more than researching 20 different methods of hanging a tarp

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    For me it was waking up every hour or more often while sleeping on the ground. I was just not getting any kind of solid sleep. I had seen the HH hammocks in catalogs before and figured it was time to elevate my sleeping. Using an ENO double now and getting good sleep so far.

Hammock
    ///
    Tarp
    ///
    Insulation
    ///
    Suspension
    ///

Thumbs up

I ride DS motorcycles, and after a 300+ mile day on dirt and fire roads, a night on the ground just was not comfortable. Being on a bike allows for a little more weight than one would pack on a backpacking trip, but not by much.

I found I was filling an entire pannier with just my sleeping system and STILL had to pack my sleeping pad over my top box. maybe I just have gotten tired of looking like "The Grapes of Wrath" rolling down the road... Now everything packs neatly into less than one pannier with ample room to spare for other gear. And I get a much better nights sleep.

Additionally, Hammocks offer so many more options when you camp. While my buddies are scrounging for a place to sit around camp, I'm lying back in the hammock relaxing. Here in Oregon there are very, very few places that I can't find a couple trees, and if all else fails I've been working on a system to use my bike and a buddies as anchors (still working on it..)

The trick this year is to get the wife and kids to join in the fun...

Hammock
    Snipe, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have always hated breaking down a tent. I don't know why, but something about it I just can't stand. And now, I have arthritis and getting down on the ground kills my knees and shoulders. Getting up from the ground is even worse. So I was searching for something, anything that would allow me to continue camping. I've been researching hammock camping for awhile now and I just purchased a Wilderness Logic Snipe hammock (it's in the mail as I type). Now I can't wait to hang in places I normally couldn't and most of all, not have to hike at a pace according to where I can set up a tent. Freedom! (and comfort).

Hammock
    Snipe, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I must add, I will miss my tent. I've had it since 1994. It's been to Woodstock II, many camping trips, and more bluegrass/old time music festivals than most people. I can set it up blindfolded as well as break it down in the dark. It's always kept me dry in down pours- I'm talking about gulley washers. But it's not completely gone, I will break it out in the last weekend of April for Merlefest. The best of both worlds I guess.

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    -20 bag
    Images
    I have been a VW bus camper for 30 years. Along the way, kids were born and they finally got so big as to push me out of the camper. Someone at fullmoonbusclub.com suggested a hennessey for extra space and I have been hanging ever since! On my second one now.

Ice

Hammock
    3 Clark NA,vertex,hennesy explorer
    Tarp
    oldman winter
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubar
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hiking in the Catskills and adirondacks in NY. Seems there is a lack of semi level none rocky areas in the hills.So last year I took off and have been hanging since!! Love it but still learning!! Never have to look to hard for a camp now!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 94 of 258 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144194 ... LastLast