Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have been listening to others speak of the ease of hanging, and just recently had an opportunity to order a WBBB. When it gets here, I will be experimenting for myself. I have read many glowing reports about hanging, and look forward to trying it myself. Am getting tired of looking for flat spots among the trees.

As a kid I was always fascinated with the old style jungle hammock. Then started checking around and didnt realize how many people used a hammock. I'll have to say that there will be no more hard ground for me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images

Because the Worst Night in a Hammock...

Hey all! It took a while to get around to this, but I figured it was about time come clean. My introduction to hammock camping was a complete accident. We had a huge family gathering on my wife's side up in the Sawtooths, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to try out the gi-normous tent we purchased as a family Christmas gift.

For whatever reason, I dragged along an old 1970's floral print bedsheet to sleep with in addition to the sleeping bag. When I finally had some time to kill I thought "Why not turn that crummy bedsheet into a hammock and just chill for a bit?" So I gathered some rope, tied a sheet-bend on either side, strung it up, and (if I do say so myself) it was actually quite awful . I'm 6'5", so my head rested against the top-knot, and my feet shot over the bottom end. After about 5 minutes my knees hyper-extended, so in disgust I left that death-trap fairly convinced that hammocking sucked. And then it happened…

I don't know if it was the altitude, or something I ate, but after a heavy day of hiking I went to bed and started to feel kind of queasy. When it finally became apparent that I might have to mop out the new family tent, I threw on my jacket and paced around outside hoping some cold air would do the trick. It didn’t, and three hours later I was sick, cold, and exhausted. So plopped down into my 1970’s floral print death-trap, crossed my legs so that my ankles hung over the side instead of over the bottom, and fell asleep.

I’m not going to romanticize that experience—I woke up two hours later very, VERY cold. By then I was feeling better, so I joined the family in the tent. When I woke up two hours later with the family, I was cold, my back, shoulders and collar-bone were stiff, and my ribs were bruised (in spite of my taking every precaution preparing the tent site, something managed to find its way directly underneath me (if I had to posit a guess based on the amount of bruising I would say that I must have inadvertently pitched our tent on top of our F-350 Econoline van)). It was then that I realized—my worst night in a poorly made, ill-suited hammock was heaven compared to what is my average experience on the ground.

At that point I was ready to put in thousands of man hours experimenting to find a way to make this whole hammock thing work. I got home and after a single Google search stumbled upon HF (which saved me thousands of hours of experimenting, and quite possibly my marriage as well (the Missus is from solid Idaho pioneer stock, and while she doesn’t view hammocking as subversive, she does consider it somewhat frivolous, and so begrudges the hundreds of hours I have spent reading HF (if she only knew what the alternative was ))).

At any rate, since that fateful night I have decided that I would rather roast for an eternity in the nethermost forges of Hades than spend another second on the ground in a tent. So when people ask me why I won’t talk about anything other than making my own hammock, I simply tell them, “Because the worst night in a hammock is better than the best night in a tent.”
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 09-18-2010 at 23:40. Reason: chronically stupid
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images

One thing leading to another....

I was researching tiny houses on Tiny House Blog and they had a post on hammocks as a way to save or better utilize small, available space. Since I already had a hammock stand w/out the hammock (acquired from a friend a couple years back), I hopped in and got myself a Trek Light hammock.

Not wanting to look like a complete noob, I started researching how to sit and eventually lay in a hammock. I stumbled onto Shug's wonderful "How To" YouTube vids and found my way here.

The rest... as they say...
    Last edited by creativeKayt; 09-19-2010 at 13:14.

yeschiro
    About 5 years ago, I decided to pick up mountain biking. Enjoying my local trails, it was time to head to the mountains. I had always enjoyed camping, but the larger family tent was not necessary for myself, and the possibility of bike-packing had me looking for a single person sleep system. I was familiar with bivys, but some exhaustive research online revealed the possibility of hammock camping. No poles and off the ground was very intriguing, as I had just spend a weekend in NC sleeping in a puddle for 4 days straight as the constant rain was not enough to stop us from riding, but enough to provide an unwanted water bed, not to mention the layer of mud on the underside of the tent.

So I started researching some hammocks, and read good things about the Hennessy Asym. Contacted the company and a week later, had some sort of special edition Desert Hammock that I was absolutely cray about sleeping in. The comfort was amazing and the ease of the snake skins sealed the deal.

So fast forward to the present, my daughters are getting older and really enjoy camping, but are still in a little tent that I have to set up and tear down, leaving me with dealing with the poles and dirt I had previously sworn off. So I found myself thinking...I don't want to drop a ton of money and these things can't be THAT hard to make. This thought, combined with my recent challenge of nothing allowed to hang from trees in a state park, got me looking online for DIY hanging solutions for building hammocks and treeless suspension so we are prepared for our next family outing.

This brought me to HF. Glad to be here and can't wait to dive into all the terrific information on the forums here. It all seems new an exciting!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    3 Season Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    What made me become a hanger is that the last couple of times that i slept in my tent i woke up the following morning in alot of pain and aches. So i slept in a friends hammock one night and i loved it.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by yeschiro View Post
    About 5 years ago, I decided to pick up mountain biking. Enjoying my local trails, it was time to head to the mountains. I had always enjoyed camping, but the larger family tent was not necessary for myself, and the possibility of bike-packing had me looking for a single person sleep system. I was familiar with bivys, but some exhaustive research online revealed the possibility of hammock camping. No poles and off the ground was very intriguing, as I had just spend a weekend in NC sleeping in a puddle for 4 days straight as the constant rain was not enough to stop us from riding, but enough to provide an unwanted water bed, not to mention the layer of mud on the underside of the tent.

So I started researching some hammocks, and read good things about the Hennessy Asym. Contacted the company and a week later, had some sort of special edition Desert Hammock that I was absolutely cray about sleeping in. The comfort was amazing and the ease of the snake skins sealed the deal.

So fast forward to the present, my daughters are getting older and really enjoy camping, but are still in a little tent that I have to set up and tear down, leaving me with dealing with the poles and dirt I had previously sworn off. So I found myself thinking...I don't want to drop a ton of money and these things can't be THAT hard to make. This thought, combined with my recent challenge of nothing allowed to hang from trees in a state park, got me looking online for DIY hanging solutions for building hammocks and treeless suspension so we are prepared for our next family outing.

This brought me to HF. Glad to be here and can't wait to dive into all the terrific information on the forums here. It all seems new an exciting!
    Hi Yechiro - welcome to the forums, and I look forward to hearing about your non-tree hanging while camping adventures!

I am curious though... what state park banned hammocks?

Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    WEB
    Images
    SHUG plus HF

First post. I came here as a result of a recent backpacking trip to Glacier. At the last minute my son and I decided to take the Amtrak to Glacier. My previous camping experience involves canoes so that was the stuff I brought. You guessed it, a ton of weight. When I came back I became obsessed with lightweight camping. Searching the internet for lightweight gear came across all kinds of ideas. The search led me here. The neighbor is now borrowing his claytor to me and I am taking my lunch time naps in a nearby vacant lot. My wife now thinks I'm nuts.

ruskin

So far so good

Took my bed out about a month ago and put it in a spare room --- which so far is sort of a " guest room " . Actually its only temporary storage before I toss the bed or give it away.

Still loving my ENO double nester - bought 2 at the same time about a month ago , but when I got home I noticed one was about 3 or so inches shorter than the other. It just didn't feel as good either ; sort of a tightness along the middle that was constantly at odds with my spine.

The good news ; when I returned the " runt " hammock , I compared it to a black w/tan fringe one which was about 5 " longer and way way wider !.

So , I'm using the trade in and now I have 2 that I just love.

Whats with the different lengths/widths from the same rack , and the same store ?

If you get a new hammock , undo them in the store and compare lengths/widths right there and be picky as can be.

Amazing how much 3 " in length can change a night's rest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 54 of 258 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast