Page 72 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast
    Hi, I'm Lee.
    I've been tent camping most of my life. About 10 years ago, it became
    apparent that hiking the AT was something to do before I died, sooner
    rather than later, and started to do some serious research into it.

I did a 5 day camping/hiking trip in the whites last year using a tent,
    pad, sleeping bag, and they served me well, but were bulky and heavier
    than I should have been carrying with me. With that trip, the kernel
    of the idea of a hammock (I've slept in them overnight before) started
    to really take root.

I'm awaiting my first Hennessey, and hoping that it and the accoutrements
    will be far lighter than my last setup, as well as even more comfortable.
    I'm getting ready to hike SOBO in 2012.
    Last edited by LeeAllure; 05-15-2011 at 10:07.

Well Derek, you can try mine out when it comes in... just tell simon I let you try it

Quote Originally Posted by sircampsalot View Post
    Hello my name is Derek. Have many trips and years under the belt camping and canoeing.
    Only camped once from a hammock and found it cold and damp on the British Columbia coast. So have always tented. Been involved with Scouts Canada for 33 years and this year one of the Venturers in the group got me thinking about using a hammock vis a tent.
    I am looking at the Blackbird doublelayer 1.7oz with the superfly built in doors. It was recommented as being sort of the way to go. So after reading about the product I am now at the point of maybe placing an order. What advise or words of wisdom should I be considering when starting out with a new hammock. Thus not wasting money time or a product that might not work out in the long run. Lets see if there is anyone with an opion

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer.
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    I first considered hammock camping after reading about them on the watertribe site. Canoe and Sea Kayak camping really got me into it.

-Mitch

Hammock
    HH Explorer Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner TQ
    Suspension
    Rings and Biners
    I've always been a ground sleeper. And i've always woken up with a sore back and neck. Last year i bought a cot for car camping and had the best night's sleep i've ever had while camping. That cot is 50lbs though and will never make it far from my car. This year for the first anniversary of my 29th birthday my wife bought me a kayak. I've wanted to go on kayak trips since i've borrowed one from my friend for a while now. I knew i would need a small, light and packable sleep system. The hammock is where i landed. I've been researching them on and off since last summer and received my Hennessy last week.

Ready to get out this summer and hang.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Insulation
    Foam Pad (Cheap)
    I decided about a month ago when my older brother mentioned buying a Hennessy. I bought and ENO system. So little brother had to play along. Were really getting to old for these games lol

Hammock
    Knotty Gathered DIY
    Tarp
    Hilleberg
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

I'm a hanger because?

I've been hanging in Mayan hammocks from "hangouts" in Boulder Co for about 20 years. By far these are the most comfortable hammocks on the planet. It wasn't till last summer that I bought an eno parachute type hammock while in Michigan. Because of the lite weight I have adopted this type as my new camping hammocks. I just bought two scout zips for the kids and have been thinking of other ways to suspend since discovering this forum.

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Single, Triple, DIY
    Tarp
    OES 4 season
    Insulation
    Pod/Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by 5thracer View Post
    Well Derek, you can try mine out when it comes in... just tell simon I let you try it
    Im pretty sure if you do that simon might take away your privilidege to know his favourite colour

Hammock
    Any Double Bottom Hammock
    Insulation
    Inflatable pad

Hanging around

I'm 18 again, going where I've never been. I did my first hang in Montgomery Bell 1/22-23/2011. Just did my 3rd hang on 5-21-23 at a Mid-Tennessee hang and for me it's the only way to camp. Looking forward to many more along with Kayaking/hangs too.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Suspension
    For now slapstraps
    Images

Newbie!

Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and new to hanging! I have an ENO DN and very happy with it. I have noticed that I need to add a SRL and need to get rid of the slap strap suspension system!! I would like any and all help that I can get on new suspension systems!! I am up for purchasing one already made or making my own. I have had my hammock for less than a year and have yet to do an overnight stay in it. Want to get the bugs worked out before I take that step!

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Just got my Hammock in today.

I decided to get one because I hate sleeping on the ground.

Grew up camping in a tent trailer with the family, then started taking my own tent on family trips when I hit my teens. Slept in a "family hammock" from Venezuela whenever I could while camping.

In the last couple years I have twice woke up to a soaked tent (one was just a pond, the other was almost a stream) so when I found people made hammocks to totally replace tents and handle all weather, I had to cough up the dough ot try it.

Hopefully I will this weekend.

On a side note, just wanted to say how impressed I am after Deaing with Hennessy. I called to let them know I didn't receive it yet. Turned out my order was shipped to the wrong address (a parkade 1 block east of my office). James called me back in 10 mins to get more details (confirmation email with the wrong address was in my spam filter, i hadn;t seen it) He called back an hour after that to let me know a replacement one was being expedited to me. I got it today (total wait 9 days) I had ordered longer tree huggers and replaced the standard tarp with the hex tarp. They sent me both sets of straps, and both tarps. When I called James to let him know they sent me too much he said that the quickest way to get it to me was to just ship it as is, from wherever it was. So they just included the extra tarp and straps at no cost. That is unbelievable customer service.

I wish I was still fiddling with it right now, but the skeeters chased me away.

Sorry about the wall of text.

• + New Posts
  • Page 72 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast