Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by etmorchicn View Post
    A lot of the people I work with (outdoor rec guide) use them, but I wasn't sold until a recent climbing trip to Alabama. My friends had ENO's and they slept much better than me with two crashpads stuffed into my tent. Got home, bought an ENO doublenest, and promptly set it up in the living room. The rest is history.

I recently stumbled across Just Jeff's page and from there found this.
    Out of curiosity, was this at HP40? That place seems to be a magnet for hammockers, and seeing people sleep in their hammocks at Horse Pens was one of the things that got me interested.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    ... What a card!! ...
    I haven't heard that expression since high school! That made me laugh. Thanks, Union. Nice to meetcha!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Originally Posted by union
    ... What a card!! ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    I haven't heard that expression since high school! That made me laugh. Thanks, Union. Nice to meetcha!
    Not only is he a card . . . he oughta be dealt with . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe/Winter
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    I am looking for a light weight shelter option for my daughters and myself. them because they are young and can't carry much weight and me because of back problems that have made pack weight and the hard ground an issue.

Images
    I don't really know how I discovered the idea of using a hammock, but I know WHY I switched! I do self supported multi day bicycle rides in fairly remote regions every year and had a bad experience a few years back. It was VERY hilly, I had ~45 lbs of gear (including food & water) on a 35 lb bike and had already ridden about 75 miles in the 100+ degree heat. I rode on and on looking for a place to set up my tent, but every place that I found was either too rocky, too hilly, too something... it was getting dark quickly and I was starting to panic. I finally found a spot and set up my tent in complete darkness (couldn't find my flashlight). I didn't sleep well that night. The sound of the weeds under my tent every time I moved, the fear of a rattlesnake in those weeds biting me through the tent floor, and the rock that I managed to lay on (like always), was a horrible experience. I awoke the next morning feeling beat up and sore. I've noticed over the last few years that I wake up with a very sore shoulder when I sleep on the ground, and it seems to get worse every year.

The next time I went on such a trip I realized that I had to do something different... I took the tent, just in case, but I also purchased a Beyer Moskito hammock. I figured the extra 1.5 lbs wouldn't kill me. It turns out that I then found a perfectly ideal spot for a tent (sandy beach), and had a hard time finding trees close enough together, but I managed. I never slept better! Slightly rocking under the stars was amazing... I woke up feeling very refreshed. I got a little bit cold on the bottom and was sliding around due to a bad hang, but it was still FAR BETTER than any night I'd ever experienced in a tent!! I also managed to avoid getting even a single mosquito bite, unlike a friend that was riding along who slept on the ground that night!! I've not slept on the ground since.
    Last edited by twowheels; 07-01-2010 at 19:08.

I started hangin' just over a year ago! Never go back to the ground!!! Thankee Shug

etmorchicn
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Out of curiosity, was this at HP40? That place seems to be a magnet for hammockers, and seeing people sleep in their hammocks at Horse Pens was one of the things that got me interested.
    Yes it was. I don't think I've ever been there and not seen hammocks all over the place.

I think it's because we (climbers) pack as many crash pads and as much beer as we can in our vehicles. There's simply no room for tents haha

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by etmorchicn View Post
    Yes it was. I don't think I've ever been there and not seen hammocks all over the place.

I think it's because we (climbers) pack as many crash pads and as much beer as we can in our vehicles. There's simply no room for tents haha
    Yeah that place is crawling with hammocks lots of the time. A hammock is a good place to pass out after you've downed some PBR and put in a couple of nighttime burns on Bum Boy and Centerpede.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I'd never seen anyone use a hammock where I normally hike, Pisgah Forest. Looking for light weight options I came across Sgt. Rock's page, found HH there. Staying dry in a tarp or a tent under 3lbs is a struggle, it's hit or miss on finding a level spot AND the combination of sleeping on the ground and trying to crawl in and out of that tiny tent opening was a pain. I'm not that flexible anymore. So far, I've only spent 5 nights in mine, but in spite of one night in the low 20's (that was a surprise), I'm a believer and I'm saving my pennies so I can talk to Mac about an IX TQ and UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    10+ years ago I went backpacking more frequently than I do now. IIRC around 1999 I came across Clark Jungle Hammocks and thought that made more sense and it looked far more comfortable. I bought one (they only had two models-regular and ultralite) but never was able to use it in the field. Flashforward to 2010 and here I am with an ENO DN, WBBBand WB Traveller. I still have the Clark but I started to take it apart to mod it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 48 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast