Page 57 of 258 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
    burnouthunter
    Well I am new. Why i have decided to hang well i guess i got lucky and stumbled on to it.
    I love to hunt and be in the woods and I was looking for a easy way to camp. Im getting older and laying on the cold ground isnt fun no more. I find that i can hang almost anywhere and it is easy and i feel safer. I would post more often but im to busy reading and looking at everyones rigs and you guys have already answerd alot of my questions in older post.
    I hope to bring something to the table after i get more time under my belt..

Thank you all for great advice and pics they have helped so much...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba, Sil
    Insulation
    IX Hammock Sock
    Suspension
    WBBB Webbing

Post Why I want to be a Hanger:

After being "stranded" for about 6 year prior to lower back surgery, a full hip replacement and losing 82 lbs, I had to find something to do with all this new found energy. Hiking and camping were first on the list and since my wife's idea of "roughing it" is a 3 star and my boys (20 & 17) do not want to go out as often as I do, I started looking into solo camping. The only problem left was that all the gear I had was from my scouting days with the boys and was not suited for soloing. One day while searching through camping videos on You-tube I saw this guy solo-camping with a hammock and the light clicked on. I have my first solo w/HH hammock planned for this weekend at Colorado Bend State Park here in Texas. Wish me luck and any advice is welcomed.

Images
    One of my hobbies is cycle touring. As my usual steed is a unicycle, space is a bit of a premium. I can't remember how I found it, but my first peek at hammocking was the HH website. A few months later, they had their "buy one, get a scout and snake skins free" offer on, so I bit the bullet and haven't looked back.

Having found this forum, I've bought some material and dusted off the sewing machine. Some of the patterns and ideas on here are really inspiring. I can only see my experiences getting better.

Cheers folks

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I saw a clarks ad in backpacker magazine and thought "man, that looks awesome". I then googled hammocks, found this site, started reading, ordered my clarks and the rest is history.

Hammock
    HH for now
    Tarp
    sgg 12x12 soon
    Insulation
    still looking
    Suspension
    JRB complete
    srgt rock's website.... i was researhing ul backpacking and just stumbled over(well more like clothes lined by) it. i have been wanting to get one for two yrs and just now finally got one. the gearskin is next.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have chronic back problems, and wanted more comfort when camping. Found this site and the rest is history.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

A few years ago, I was googling for images of treesits, since I had done that work before, and it was downright miserable, cold and a bunch of other adjectives that have no place on this forum. I wanted to find some kind of alternative. I came across this image:

And this one:

I had never heard of, or seen such a thing before, especially for overnight camping let alone so high in the trees. I was intrigued and struck the way someone might fall in love. I had to do this, it looked like more fun.

A few months later I bought a hammock on a whim at a corner store that was selling them as a comparison to their "These handcrafted fairtrade hammocks made by brazilians with their native fabric are superior to these synthetic ones". It's an ENO, pink and orange. I paid $40 for it. It sat in my room unused for many more months and I slowly collected the rest of the accessories (which I now know by this forum are called treehuggers) to hang. I hanged in my backyard for a few hours on warm days to use the laptop, but that was it.

As the recession hit, I found myself getting evicted without the cash to pay rent/bills and was soon homeless. I didn't have a tent, but I did have that hammock and a bicycle. So got some panniers for the bike and hit the road figuring I'd travel for a while and try to make do with that.

Having a hammock as a homeless person is probably the best idea ever. It took up 1/4th the space of a conventional tent/padding, etc. I could easily fit it in my panniers with room to spare, and if I hanged waay up in a tree, when the cops came to cite the homeless people in tents below, I was safely tucked away, hidden from view. No one ever thought to check the trees and it started to catch on that hammocks and tree living was the way to go. A tent on the ground is an obvious eyesore, but a hammock in a tree is nonobtrusive.

I'm still traveling and couchsufing, and I'm still spending many nights in a hammock. More people are inclined to host me when I don't squash the grass with a tent and my hammock is hidden in the background under a tarp. It's like I'm not even there.
    Last edited by bambooguerilla; 10-22-2010 at 22:12.

Insulation
    te-wa's finest ;)
    Blame it on te-wa...
    After backpacking regularly with te-wa (my husband) over 4 years ago, when it was all heavy gear and tents, then taking a break to raise baby te-was, I have now started to get back out on the trails with him and am learning the new light weight snug and comfy ways of the ewoks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    TerraRosaGear Adv
    Insulation
    Crowsnest 900-fill
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    What made me a hanger? 2 things;

1\ Shug! I stumbled across his hammocking videos on youtube and thought it might be worth looking into,
    2\ Fate. A week later I bumped into Hitchhiking who put me onto Wentworth who sold me his Hennessy Explorer.

My friends still thinks it's a laugh, but we went out a few weeks ago and it was about 2*C. Even with my completely rubbish DIY UQ, I slept like a baby. My mates woke up tired and cold after a poor nightes sleep.

Cheers,
    Russ

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Tweakablility options are great....

and yeah Shug was no help in steering me away from what has now somewhat become a full time obsession.

Maybe I'm just new? but the culture that hangers have seems to be a special one where there is no competition, just insight at every turn.

It's a cool thing in that hammocks are made for one but the attitudes and outlook that hangs in them is for all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 57 of 258 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast