Hammock
    HHDJ JUNGLE XL(2)
    Tarp
    RSBTR & Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ HG20* UQ HG20*
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    suggested by old4hats as something for us to do as we were recently retired. Many years ago I determined I was a pragmatic so when I started learning about hammocks from web sites and HF it just made sense. It was practical. I might suggest it is possible all hammock hangers could be pragmatic. Since I took the plunge I have not looked back. I would, and do, recommend to any and all get yourself a hammock. Well I just realized I am preaching to the choir here so I will shut up.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    A friend got me excited bout hiking and challenging myself to overnight trips. I've had more than 10 knee surgeries and finding lightweight options became an obsession. I moved from a solo tent to tarptents. I experimented with a few different lightweight pads under my bag, but never got a comfortable sleep on the ground. I stumbled across videos featuring hammocks and picked up a grand trunk nano to carry in my pack. I napped in it whenever I set up camp, but never overnighted in it until recently. Thanks to this forum and its resources, I had my first overnight hang this past weekend! Going back to ground just doesn't seem like a pleasant option. I'm hooked.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Ozark Trail Cocoon
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I've always liked camping and have considered myself an outdoorsy person and once I saw someone that had one, I was hooked!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I may have mentioned this in one of the 1500 posts in this thread, but what got me hanging was the fact that the last time I slept in a tent I was bitten by a black widow spider. I paddled 15 miles out and was sick for 5 days.

After doing a fair amount of research the number one suggestion for avoiding spiders while camping was to stay off the ground. One thing led to another, that was 6 years ago, I haven't slept in a tent since. I spend 30-60 days a year in the woods elevating my perspective.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm planning a 2014 AT hike. I've never slept well on the ground. I've read several trail journals of hangers. I thought it made sense, figured I'd give it a try. Came to this forum and White Blaze and tried to read as much as I could and just bought my first one!

Hammock
    ENO- DN
    Tarp
    ENO- Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Exped/-10 pad, mss
    Suspension
    ENO- Atlas
    Shug turned me to the mock side!!! his vids helped too! a few other mockers helped as well.
    Not all who wander, are lost!!

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um No More
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix UQ 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlus Straps
    Love hiking, hated sleeping on the hard ground in a tent. Couldn't carry heavy softer pad to help with the sleeping issues too much weight. This past father's day saw doublenest ENO for sale and decided to try it to chill out with at the beach etc. It was love at first swing. I couldn't believe how comfortable and cool it was. I was hooked and began research to buy a hammock with bugnet for Florida fall hiking. I can't wait until it cools off again here.

Hammock
    HomeMade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    workig on
    Suspension
    Working on
    Have been camping all my life. Seen Shug Emery and got interested. Haven't slept in a bed in over three years because of back pain. To included when I camp and hunt and go fishing. So my daughter helped make three Hammocks DIY and have been sleeping in one at home and in the woods with no pain and enjoying a peaceful rest . I have been know to stay in the woods for a moth at a time. The information that you all have provided has has really improved my life and enjoyment. Thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge.

Hammock
    DIY USN digital camo
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs Tarp 9
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    Dyneema Whoopies
    I always took a hammock with me when I went camping. Something to spend lazy days reading and napping. Well, I've lost 75lbs, and I talked my wife (who lost 100lbs) into going hiking/backpacking camping instead of car camping. So, while searching out ultralight gear and suggestions of how to cut weight and size in our packs, I read something about hammock camping. Once I was bitten, I got the bug. I have been researching this like a dog chewing on a bone for about two months now. Since my wife thinks I'm crazy to try this, but I am going to go out on my own to test out my gear and my ability to use it comfortably. So, I guess officially I have never hammock camped, yet. But I am looking forward to going soon, and waking up without the back pain that usually comes with tent camping.

Hammock
    Wbbb, chameleon, Darian
    Tarp
    Dutch tarp,minifly
    Insulation
    Jacks

What made you a "hanger"?

My back!! After being a mechanic for 15 years and standing on my feet all my life my knees and back are sore if I sleep on the ground. So now I sleep in a hammock and don't have to crawl around on my knees anymore.
    We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 140 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190240 ... LastLast