Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    As a new member thought I'd give my two (euro) cents as why I became a hanger...

Once upon a time... not too long ago (about 12 years now), I went on a (bushcraft/survival) course in the UK with a certain Ray Mears and the head instructor there (John Ryder) was using a tarp & hammock (can't remember his isolation choice)....

In the woods, no roots or muddy ground (sometimes it actually rains in the UK :roll eyes: ), just you with a great view!

And it was comfy, unlike the net hammocks I used before...
    And you could carry it, unlike the brazilian hammocks I used in the garden
    and... can't remember it all, but I was hooked.

Later on, while not being afraid to cut in your gear to adjust it to your needs (weight, function etc... thanks to Ray Jardine) I started experimenting with pads, under quilts, suspension methods and more stuff....

Never was too good in DIY so gave up (temporarily?) on a Backpack-Hammock combination (think bearskin) while tree huggers would be (part of) my shoulderstraps. Too afraid to damage it anyway with bushwacking or luggage handlers on airports around the globe.

Grtz Johan

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex
    Insulation
    Potomac

Thumbs up Something new

I needed to find a way to get away from everyday life and relax started looking up hammocks online and ran into hammock forum read some posts and now me and the wife have hennessy hammocks and are planing our first hang. I see there is alot of wisdom here at hf and I am glad to join a group that I can get great advise from.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Camo Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Minicell CCF 3/8"
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Living (and camping) in New England I've wanted to escape the state forest campgrounds and get out in the woods but tent camping in the woods meant rocks and roots to deal with or an uncomfortable tent platform. Getting up off the ground is such a better idea.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    zPacks CF Tarp
    Insulation
    DIYDown Underquilt
    Suspension
    Woopie sling
    Two years ago after blowing my knee out on my first backpacking trip carrying a 60lb pack I decided on going ultralight and concluded that hammock camping was the best way to accomplish that. I started out first trying to save money and drop weight by making my own Hennessy Hammock from silk. Two years and ten prototypes later I’ve finally accepted that I have an obsession and joined this forum.

Ultimately for me though, I enjoy the challenge of designing the lightest and most user friendly hammocks as I can the most. In fact, oddly, I actually find it rather difficult to sleep in a hammock. Having broke so many prototypes in the field and spent the nights sleeping in the dirt I now find myself waking up with every moan or creak of the tree.

I first learned about the world of hammocking at BushcraftUK when I noticed allot of members there sleep in the trees.
    At first I thought it seemed a bit silly but after looking a little more into it... not so much

Hammock
    hh expedition 2.5, snap-on edition
    Tarp
    Hm space blanket
    Insulation
    3/4L scored pad
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    funny story actually, i got my hh expedition from the snap-on tool guy, he gave it to me to use on the racetrack, i thought it was cool as a fan, then i started back packing with it and thought this is dandy, so i came here and now i absolutely love beng in the woods above the nasty ground
    awwwww yeeaaah!!!

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Closed Cell Foam
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A couple of years ago I was car camping with the family out on Cape Cod. A couple of guys rolled into a site nearby and set up two hammocks in no time flat. Right away I thought 'how cool is that'. That thought stuck with me and eventually I wound up on Just Jeff's site and the hammock forum. Last fall I bought two Mosquito Jungle Hammocks for my 8 year old son and I. We'll be leaving for our second Hammock backpacking trip in a few weeks. Still learning so I thought it would be good to join the forum.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    great stories one and all! thanks for sharing, everyone. keep 'em coming!

Tarp
    DIY gathered end
    I'm not even a noob at this point, just a wannabe! My son just crossed over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and the Scout Master of one of the troops we visited is a hanger. That first hammock camping conversation took place about 8 months ago. It kind of intrigued me but I got busy with doing mom/student/work/volunteer stuff and never went down the rabbit hole. I just kinda knew it was there.

This weekend we camped with Scouts (we ultimately chose a troop of ground dwellers...'til we get 'em all converted!) and one dad brought his new hammock and stuff to set up and fuss with. Oh, man! That's it! Hammock camping is SOOOO cool, I can't wait to do my own dabbling! I've got more time and skillz (yo!) than money, so I've been researching, learning, planning, and thinking about how to DIY myself into hanging with you wizened hammock campers since we got home Sunday afternoon.

Lordofmt

I wanted to be more comfortable while camping

So my buddy showed me this Hennessy Hammock and I was totally intrigued. So I purchased one and I was sold on hanging.
    My only regrets were that I couldn't take my dogs with me. Then I found Clark Jungle Hammocks. I have fit both of my Labs in my Clark and slept very comfortable. I cant wait for snow shoe season to try it in the winter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 79 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast