Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    OMW or Dutch Wide
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies/ Dutch
    I haven't got to hang yet myself but what got me to the point of looking into it was all the people saying how much more comfortable it is compared to tent camping.

Hopefully soon I'll get some free time to hang and see.

Take care,
    Kirk

Thumbs up Hanging, from a powered rider

Neither a thru-hiker, cyclist or tent-camper ... I've been using hammocks since I became a powered rider, a decade ago. I ride a 2003 Suzuki Burgman maxi-scooter. A very tall and heavy guy, age 69, I like the step-thru frame, carrying capacity & automatic transmission, while I also like the two-cylinders, quiet acceleration and the flat-out speed.

I don't camp, as I firmly believe that a locking door, clean sheets, rain/sun protection, AC/heat, TV, hot water on demand and a place to park my ride are one of the peaks of Western Civilization - i.e., I usually 'motel it' for the night. But that doesn't mean I can't rest & relax several times a day, when I so choose, during my rides ... and a hammock serves me best.

My biggest peeve is the common article-of-faith that there will always be two trees or posts, just the right distance apart, everywhere I choose to hang my hammock. While now living in the well-forested East Coast, I have lived and visited extensively in the Midwest and Southwest ... and know very well that there are vast stretches of the USA & Canada that have very few trees (more like bushes) and other areas with no trees at all. So, I experiment with the means of carrying my hammock-hanging support with me.

Comments?

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Shug!
    I was looking for some DIY camping gear on Youtube, found some vids by SHUG and fell in love with concept. I went out and bout a $20 ripstop nylon hammock, and I have never used (aside from setting up for my wife when she comes) my $200+ tent since. I used to camp with the tent, air mattress, etc. Now I backpack! Thanks SHUG! Still fine tuning, but I love the learning as u go, and watching what others are doing, reading the forums, etc.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    Howdy!
    My wife and I started hiking this winter for exercise. She enjoys photography and the light is best for photography in the morning or late evening. So, we started talking about the fact that if we camped out we would already be where we wanted to be in the morning without having to hike in the dark to get there. The problem was, I have arthritus in my back, so laying on the ground isnt a good option for me anymore. There was an article a couple years back in one of the kayak magazines about hammock camping. I started to look into it and thought maybe I could do it. So we bought two Hennesey Hammocks and we have gone twice so far. We hope to be able to hit a group hang sometime, but weve spent alot of money getting our gear together and probably wont be ready for cold camping this year. We really appreciate all the information here. We have been watching the Utube videos for a couple months and decided to join up.

Best wishes: Lump

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a

Good Stuff.

hey guys.

not yet a hanger but i came across a few Whoooo Buddy productions. two things came to mind.
    first. it looked like a blast. i could say more but do i need to?
    second: the winter system was something knew to me. and i like year round capabilities.

i liked the energy i saw from shug as well as the many other youtube vids like professor hammock and such. seems like a buncha good people.
    Rah! CeDD

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ears View Post
    hey guys.

not yet a hanger but i came across a few Whoooo Buddy productions. two things came to mind.
    first. it looked like a blast. i could say more but do i need to?
    second: the winter system was something knew to me. and i like year round capabilities.

i liked the energy i saw from shug as well as the many other youtube vids like professor hammock and such. seems like a buncha good people.
    Rah! CeDD
    Hey Ears......hope ya' give it a go......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Standard
    Insulation
    Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Straps/Rings
    After a few bad tent experiences earlier this year (rocky ground, green-briars under the tent, snake inside vestibule, storm washout), I decided to give the hammock a shot. I wanted something light and packable that would give me better comfort than a tent, and be easy to carry around. I have also been very interested in ultra-light camping and the weight of the hammock/tarp appealed to me.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    What made me a hanger? No campsites, rocks, roots, cold hard lumpy sloping ground, mud, running water, bugs, varmints. 'Tis the only civilized way to sleep outdoors

Before my first big backpacking trip (and when I had no idea about gear and whatnot), I lurked this forum too hard and got sucked in by all the claims of comfort, greater flexibility in choosing camp spots, and just the general superiority of hammock camping over ground camping. After hanging for most of my trip and really enjoying it, I'm really glad I chose to listen to you guys!

One of the new guys

Just a short note to introduce myself. I am a Boy Scout leader and we do lots of trips along the AT in Virginia. I observed lots of hanging around at some campsites and found you guys through YouTube (Shug and Professor Hammock are very informative and entertaining!) Recently purchased a warbonnet blackbird and two Hennessies for my sons. We really enjoy just hanging around and carrying less weight.

Regards dcormier3

• + New Posts
  • Page 77 of 258 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast