Hammock
    Hennesey Hyperlite side zip
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat
    Insulation
    DIY undercover
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I got back into backpacking a couple years ago , after Pop passed away. He and I did everything together including spending two Christmases in the Smokies when I was in High school! I am very handy and make about anything. I made a silnylon jones tent 2. Alc stove, etc . I even made my own G4 Backpack and use it!
    As getting lighter and lighter became a issue for me so did my back. I also dont overly like sleeping in AT shelters with others. I spend allot of time on backpackmessage boards. Where the people were talking about how much they loved Hanging!
    A Board memebr offered me a super deal on a Hennesey Hyperlite ,and the time was right. I love it, I am sore and tierd from hiking all day, and wake up feelin good!
    Now I am obsessed with light weight insulation. I have found as all hangers do , comfort is not the issue! Warmth is when its cold!
    However I am Hangin in there!
    Remember: Every Day we look down at the grass, is better than up at the roots!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Got tired of trying to find a way to stay warm at night on the ground. Could never find a way to keep my legs warm enough and prevent conductive heat loss at my knee joints . Hammocking always had an certain appeal so when I had a little extra cash I decided to try a HH hyperlite. Now I have the DIY bug and can not wait to dig into the 1.1 ripstop I just received from DIY Gear Supply and make my first DIY Hammock!
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer WCT
    Insulation
    Under/overquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling

Smile Work in progress

Had been backpacking but hated sleeping on the ground. Was listening to Kent's podcast AT Hiking 3 yrs ago and he was talking about how comfortable hammocks were. He was using a Speer which at the time and after looking at what was available it seemeda good choice. I got a Speer and later a WCTarp and haven't looked back. Most comfortable backpacking ever. Converted my hiking buddies to hammocks. This site has been eye opening. In the last month I have changed to Whoopie slings, ridgelines for my tarp, and fixed my tarp pullouts. Hammocking life has never been more relaxing and easy. This site is chock full of great info. Anything I have questioned and wondered is on the site. Thanks so much!!

Hammock
    DIY Gear Supply pattern
    Tarp
    8x10 Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & slings
    It's all Shug's fault. I was just looking for a tarp pattern.

Next thing I knew, I was hanging in the piney woods under clear skies and a full moon, wondering how I got there.

Hammock
    eno double
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    Florida Heat
    Suspension
    webbing/ whoopies

A long time but no time really

I Got my Hammock about six years ago when I lived in GA and I used it quite a bit as a day pack and over night stay thing. like hiking just to have a chair. then I got into camping with it. I move back to Florida a year after the purchase and I haven't used it much honestly I know that isn't an excuse but it has honestly taken till about now to get my friends and family on the camping and hiking bandwagon so I would use it in my back yard and occasional solo hike. Although never really backpacking just little day trips or overnights so no worry of weight. I have an eno and from what i have seen aren't the norm. I love my hammock and have a bug net and a rain fly. all my uses had been in summer till recently and we went camping for a couple buddies birthdays and I got real Cold. I am now tired of waiting around on friends and am putting together some stuff for the cross florida trail to train for a short hike on the AT. Any suggestions on winter hammock use would be greatly appreciated. Also If anyone has any designs on tarps as far as winter goes and maybe a underquilt goes I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking to make a 3/4 underquilt. thanks all hope to talk to you all soon.

When I was on the AT 5 years ago, I realized hammockers had a lot more freedom in finding a spot to set up camp.

Hammock
    WBRR and HH Exp Deluxe
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, HH Hex
    Insulation
    Thermarest/MMSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie/DutchBiner
    I Agree with the previous post. I was tired of searching for exactly level ground, free of rocks, roots, etc...and hoping it was around the area and resources I was looking for. Now I just need 2 trees and I'm a happy camper.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Zpacks Asym
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Converted someone this weekend with the flat ground argument.
    Ground=Cold+Hard+Wet

Solution!!!! Sleep in a TREE

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I had not been sleeping well for a couple of years now on the ground and a friend thru hiked (AT) with a blackbird last year. My girlfriends son wanted a blackbird for Christmas soooooo I started lurking around and watching Shugs videos. then I got a eno double nest for day hiking (what a great way to chill out). then I saw the Blackbird and lay in it I was hooked. Ordered one and am yard camping now getting my systems right before I hit the trail. Thanks to all for their insight on HF.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    I just wanted to return to MY ancestral-roots-- in the trees.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 97 of 258 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107147197 ... LastLast