HH Std Expedition
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Tree Huggers
    Images

new hanger

Hi, my name is h4wk and I am a hanger.

I had wanted to trying hanging for the last couple of years, but my boys were too young for me to leave them in a tent without me. Now that they are older and experienced campers, I'm not so worried about that. I was on a Boy Scout summer camp trip in August and our camp was on the side of a steep, rocky hill. I was to be there for 3 days, come home and work for 2 days, then go back up for 2 days. I was tent camping and had a 2-man tent that I was barely able to nestle into a spot that passed for flat. The first night it poured down rain and all that water rushed down the hillside, getting me and my gear wet. I made due, but when I got home I decided that was the perfect application for a hammock and bought my HH. I tested it at home and loved it. When I got back to camp I hung right on the steep hillside with no worries. I had the most comfortable night sleeping ever while camping and I was hooked. Since then, my OCD has taken over and I constantly (like many others here on the forum) am looking for places and ways to use my hammock. It is definitely a fun distraction. I love reading everyone else's posts and experiences.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by h4wk View Post
    Since then, my OCD has taken over...
    It is important to realize that it is not really OCD but CDO.

The letters must be alphabetized.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Parachute Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    Therm-a-Rest
    Suspension
    D.I.Y.
    Nothing but pure comfort made me wanna camp out of a hammock!

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Sleeping on endless roots and rocks and waking up with soggy, muddy clothes. I went sailing with a few friends and decided to try a hammock on a whim. I slowly swayed with the rocking of the boat (hardly any wind) and only bailed because I didn't bring a tarp with me. 2am came and so did the rain. I've lounged in it a lot since then and am still looking to get my first official hang out of the way.

Tents... who need 'em?

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    70D HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    JRB HSS(complete)
    I've done a lot of roof tent camping ...

and a lot of ground tent camping ...

and have recently been doing a lot of day hikes and kayaking and wanted to be able to do overnighters without having to setup a base camp, although I will set up a base camp on many trips, it's just nice not to have to worry about it

Stblais
    Quelque fois, en canot camping, j'amenais mon hamac en filet (1 Lb) lors de camping sur le sol pour le confort d'un repos en après-midi. Une fois, j'ai essayé d'installer mon sac de couchage dedans, mais peine perdu, mon hamac n'était pas assez large pour cet emploi.
    J'ai donc commencé des recherches pour acheter un hamac de camping puis j'ai trouvé le site de Jeff. Je n'ai jamais acheté de hamac, mais j'en ai 2 fait de mes propres mains, un d'été et un de printemps/automne.
    Elles seront rares maintenant les occasions où je vais camper à nouveau sur le sol.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Stblais View Post
    Quelque fois, en canot camping, j'amenais mon hamac en filet (1 Lb) lors de camping sur le sol pour le confort d'un repos en après-midi. Une fois, j'ai essayé d'installer mon sac de couchage dedans, mais peine perdu, mon hamac n'était pas assez large pour cet emploi.
    J'ai donc commencé des recherches pour acheter un hamac de camping puis j'ai trouvé le site de Jeff. Je n'ai jamais acheté de hamac, mais j'en ai 2 fait de mes propres mains, un d'été et un de printemps/automne.
    Elles seront rares maintenant les occasions où je vais camper à nouveau sur le sol.
    Translates to:

Some time, canoe camping, I would take my hammock net (1 Lb) at camping on the floor to the comfort of a rest in the afternoon. Once, I have tried to install my sleeping bag in, but sentence lost, my hammock was not broad enough to this job. Therefore I began research to buy a hammock of camping then I found the site of Jeff. I have never bought hammock, but I have 2 made my own hands, one of summer and a spring/autumn.

Welcome to Hammock Forums, Stblais!

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    DIY 120 x 80
    Insulation
    JRB UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My decision to get off the ground was really pretty simple. I just got tired of sleeping on uneven, rocky, terrain all the time.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    cuben hex
    Insulation
    Winter Phoenix
    Suspension
    adj. webbing
    Same thing with me. It got to the point where I simply wasn't comfortable sleeping on the ground no matter what I did or tried. Started hanging last spring and never looked back. Now both my son and my daughter hang with me. Started out with Byer Mosquito hammocks for all of us. Upgraded to BBWB, JRB 11x10, Winter Burrow, Winter Crowsnest. Now to start upgrading the kids rigs........
    100_0570.jpg Taken just off AT in SNP last August. We were on a tiny little ledge site halfway between Byrd's Nest and Mary's Rock.

100_1231.jpgFrom a trip my son and I took back in the middle of Oct. to West Va. Got down to the low 30s. Was really snug in all that downy goodness. I took a small traveler hammock and added a throw quilt and ccf pad and hung it under my son's Byer as a pseudo UQ. Worked really well for him.

Stblais
    Thanks Alan for the translation!

• + New Posts
  • Page 58 of 258 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast