North GA Hiker Hanger

Hey everyone!
    My best friend at UGA started me into backpacking about 10 years back(always an avid outdoorsman just not in that way). We shared the load of a 3p tent and had a few trips in the GSMNP that were amazing and hooked me! Throughout the past decade, I have backpacked with my boys (12/13)or car camped with the whole family and used a tent. No longer being in my 30s and being tough on my body at my job over that decade became evident those beautiful and blessed mornings at camp.
    Last spring, the boys and I met up with some other Dawg brothers and their boys to hike Savage Gulf in Tennessee. Beautiful place!
    My friend set up his hammock once we made the campsite and I was intrigued. The decision was easy the next morning after assessing my condition compared to his restful nights sleep. I was lured into the world of hammock camping.
    Over the summer on a few car camping trips to Lake Lanier, I slept in my Eno Doublenest that was usually for lounging around in on day hikes. Save one night where I had a short CBS experience, I was convinced this is the way.

The hammock camping bug has not been limited to me, my oldest loved the hammock and he asked for one from his aunt for Christmas and he got an Eno JungleHammock.
    After researching his set up and what else we needed, I stumbled upon this site and have greatly benefitted from the wealth of knowledge of a great community from just reading what was available (and many Shug video sessions), I went ahead and purchased a single layer Blackbird XLC for our upcoming camping excursions!!! Atm, I am going with whoopie slings and tree huggers for suspension, my bag and BA pad to start out for sleep system and go from there! I have seen the potential to spec out my hanging system to the n^th degree and that is where I am now.
    Looking forward to this new adventure! See y’all around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Adventures are down the trail, with your sons, old friends and new.

You don’t have to be crazy to be a hammock camper…..
    But it helps!

Curing homelessness, two trees at a time!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Beckit & Straps
    Images
    Love the North Georgia mountains! Did a 175 mile section of the AT this past October. (Amicalola to Fontana)
    One of the highlights of each day was climbing into my Dutchware Chameleon hammock each evening. Enjoy this time backpacking with your boys. The next thing you know you’ll be retired and the logistics of planning a trip with them may be difficult to say the least.
    “There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Wethepeople View Post
    Love the North Georgia mountains! Did a 175 mile section of the AT this past October. (Amicalola to Fontana)
    One of the highlights of each day was climbing into my Dutchware Chameleon hammock each evening. Enjoy this time backpacking with your boys. The next thing you know you’ll be retired and the logistics of planning a trip with them may be difficult to say the least.
    Yes! We have explored so many trails up here and still so many more to discover! We want to start an AT section hike trip since we are so close to Amicalola. Mom isn’t savvy with backcountry camping but she loves to join on the shorter stints or car camps!
    I am really looking forward to getting them in GSMNP and revisit and share with them some of my favorite hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Adventures are down the trail, with your sons, old friends and new.

You don’t have to be crazy to be a hammock camper…..
    But it helps!

Curing homelessness, two trees at a time!
    Well said

• + New Posts