Page 4 of 258 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Backpacker
    Tarp
    HH Backpacker
    Insulation
    None
    I brought a net hammock along on my first 50 miler Canoe trip down Village Creek http://www.backpacker.com/destinations/12454?page=3some time around 1990.

Every personal item we carried went into a 7.5 gallon screw on lid plastic bucket. For comfort in the tent we used $.97 air mattress from wal-mart. The temps must have been around 90 for a low that summer. To get away from the crowded tent I started hangin.

I broke my back in 1994. I don't have back pain ( I ran a half marathon 10 years to the date after breaking my back). I only sleep on my back in a hammock. Thats enough sience for me to know it is good for me. On the ground I sleep in the fetal position. Not in pain but suffering!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    I bought my first real hammock a few weeks ago and have used it once so far. I bought a Clark NX-200.

What appeals to me are:

-Being off the ground which means no more sleeping on rocks or roots
    -Much more flexibility regarding where I can set up camp
    -Quick to set up and since they are lightweight I can bring it along on day hikes for a comfortable place to sit and eat lunch or just lay back and enjoy the scenery.
    -I like the gentle swaying motion and feeling of being in the air
    -Being able to save weight versus a tent (no ground cloth and no tent poles and in summer months no ground pad needed).

So those are the reasons I bought a hammock.

Regards,

CB

Hammock
    DIY Speer type
    Tarp
    DIY 10 x 12
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    warbonnetguy .... the leg is 22" long. You may be right, I had the opportunity to try one of your hammocks and was impressed. You may be hearing from me in the future. Still need to be sure hanging is the way to go (like there's any question).
    I'm so out of shape ......I passed gas yesterday and pulled a muscle!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1
    Tarp
    SWT
    I saw a hammock at a fair and wanted one, I recieved it a couple of months later as a gift. Decided i wanted to do some hiking and started reading whiteblaze, there i saw the hammock camping forum and realized i didn't need to buy a tent b/c i already had a hammock, I bought a cheap poly tarp from walfarts and i was ready to go. the first night 40* bag and it was 50 degrees no pad and i froze. I needed more info and then i discovered HF, been reading ever since. Now i am interested in buying a warbonnet BB and Speer winter tarp. need to save some $$

Hammock
    HH Asym Expedition
    Tarp
    McCat Delux
    Insulation
    JRB Top and bottom
    Images
    I went on a hiking trip 2 Novembers ago. It was my first backpacking trip in over 10 years. I took my old LL Bean dome tent, which was a fine tent in it's day buy weighing in at 10 pounds was a tad on the heavy side. After the trip I began looking into lighter shelter options. I wanted something for one in case I did a solo trip. I stumbled onto Whiteblaze, which led me here. Borrowed a HH from NCPatrick, bought my own off of Ebay, the rest is history not going back to the ground. My ground dwelling hiking buddies make fun and call it the "bear taco" but I'm the one with a spring in my step in the morning!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    I'm getting into hammocking because of you mike : P Seriously though I can't wait till it comes in so I can try it.
    Yay my Claytor Mosquito came in today. Went out and set it up for a bit out by my apartments. Very comfy but man I need some new suspension real fast cuz the stock stuff is streeeeetchy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Yay my Claytor Mosquito came in today. Went out and set it up for a bit out by my apartments. Very comfy but man I need some new suspension real fast cuz the stock stuff is streeeeetchy.
    The Poly webbing (woodland green) is great from OWF; very light and strong.

The Poly webbing from Strapworks is an old favorite. However, it is a bit on the heavy side. The seatbelt webbing from them is lighter and seems to have been well received by the folks that use it.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pegleg56 View Post
    warbonnetguy .... the leg is 22" long. You may be right, I had the opportunity to try one of your hammocks and was impressed. You may be hearing from me in the future. Still need to be sure hanging is the way to go (like there's any question).

22" will fit in there for sure.

also, i do have a money back garantee, try it for a couple weeks and if you decide it's not for you just send it back.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.0
    Tarp
    Nothing atm....
    Insulation
    Costco down throws
    Suspension
    WBBB Line/Strap
    Images
    Got some 1" tow strap and some steel rings and got Mikeinfhaz to sew me up a good suspension system : ) Thanks again Mike.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The thing that got me into hammocking is a guy I met at a mt biking race here in Ky about 4 years ago. He told me was you sleep in a hammock you'll never evr go back to the ground again and he was 100% right.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 258 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast