Page 228 of 258 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238 ... LastLast
Results 2,271 to 2,280 of 2579
    What made me hang?

I was doing an over night hike across some mountains trails West of Tokyo in late October a few years back. We I arrived at the campsite it was crammed with other hikers, wall to wall tents. I was using a shangri-la 3 at the time. It has a somewhat large foot print and need good pegs tk set up... I was screwed. I had to pitch on a massive slope and failed to get a good night's sleep.

In the morning it dawned on me. The forest is too dense and has too many slopes to pitch a tent for wild camping. But there ARE thousands of trees. Boom a hammock camper was born. I stay away from campsites where I can now, and haven't touched the forest floor for 5 years.

Still have a tent for family camps now I have a wee one. But I'll get her off the ground eventually.

Sent from my 401SO using Tapatalk

I'm a climber and motorcyclist and was looking for a more packable option than my tent. I got a cheap hammock and tried it at home to see if I could sleep in it. After a few nights working out the lay I realized for the first time in my adult life I was getting up without back pain. I have slept in one every night for over a year and converted some others. I just wish I could figure out how to comfortably have company in my hammock. Its the ONLY shortcoming I have found. Thinking maybe a 11.5 to 12 ft double might be ok? Have only tried 9.6 before this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mjerney; 08-16-2017 at 12:36.

Quote Originally Posted by mjerney View Post
    I'm a climber and motorcyclist and was looking for a more packable option than my tent. I got a cheap hammock and tried it at home to see if I could sleep in it. After a few nights working out the lay I realized for the first time in my adult life I was getting up without back pain. I have slept in one every night for over a year and converted some others. I just wish I could figure out how to comfortably have company in my hammock. Its the ONLY shortcoming I have found. Thinking maybe a 11.5 ton 12 ft double might be ok? Have only tried 9.6 before this.

11.5 ton? What company are you planning on doing what with? Pogoing with an elephant ?

Sent from my 401SO using Tapatalk

Sry typo, 11.5 to 12 ft......... standard weight rating of 400 lbs for a double hammock

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    my first parachute hammock has an eno double nest bought at REI, as something I was curious enough to try out to make for a lightweight camping setup, and for the backyard. After trying it out, I was impressed enough to delve deeper into the rabbit hole, and after discovering all that was out there, traded in the ENO on a Kammok Roo, then traded up to a DH sparrow, after a bugnet fail on the kammok. I tried pads on the hammock, but had condensation probs on the single layer Kammok. Haven't yet tried the pads with the DH sparrow DBL layer. I use a full length 20 degree underquilt by JRM the Mt Washington #, and so far, this setup has been comfortable for 3 season use.
    I admit, I am addicted to learning more stuff on this forum, and all things hammock/tarp related. On another note, SHUG emery has made me laugh so hard with all of his educational videos. Does SHUG remind anyone else of Robin Williams. SHUG needs to go to hollywood. He is indeed a funny talented hammocker.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HG 40 degree
    Suspension
    HH w/ garda hitch
    What made me a hanger?

I had ground camped my whole life until moving to Florida. With all the snakes, fire ants and other creepy crawlies I needed a better option. I was on Youtube several years ago, maybe 6 or 7 and found Shug. After watching his adventures with the Maple King, I knew I had to try this elevated camping thing. I ordered a hammock and off I went, never looked back

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Oops, I meant to say Jacks R Better Mt Washington 3...

Hammock
    Homemade channel end
    Tarp
    Homade Hex Xenon s
    Suspension
    Rings + webbing
    Bad back and hips make sleeping on the ground impossible. I tried the hammock, been hanging ever since. As a matter of fact, I sleep better, with less pain in my hammock than I do in my $4000 temperpedic mattress

I'm getting into hammocking as I've got severe chronic pain issues and want to get outdoors more to help improve motivation for doing a fruit-only diet. I've had some recent improvement in my pain by eating fruit only, it looks like I'm intolerant to every food but fruit. But it's a hard diet to maintain for me as I'm really attached to cooked foods, so I want to get out in nature more to motivate myself to improve my diet, which in turn improves my chronic pain.

I've got a constant 24/7/365 migraine headache every second of everyday for 27 years now, since age 13. And fibromyalgia, which is a bodypain condition, which also comes with chronic fatigue. However the permanent migraine is by far the hardest to endure, a permanent lifelong migraine headache is cruel and unusual punishment.

Now two years ago I had some small improvement with a fruit-only diet. However I'm mentally weak when it comes to maintaining it, so this is all about improving my mentality by getting more active and into nature so that I can become stronger with the diet which in turn improves the constant physical torture.

As well, I'm in Australia so I wanted to get off the ground on account of our biting insects. I didn't want to do hammock originally as they seemed complex and expensive, very hard to organize. I feel overloaded dealing with them. But that will improve when I get hanging experience. I've come around to the idea now. I had my very first daytime lay two days ago, where I set my hammock and tarp up, so I'm no longer a hammock virgin. Had some problems with my lay though, but I've asked for advice about that in post number 13 of my thread titled "Pad length".

Another thing. Because I'm trying to do fruit diet, I'm looking to get up to the tropics where fruit is better and cheaper, and get into the tropical rainforests. As it's wet in that environment, you really need to be off the ground. So there is this secondary reason for going with a hammock. Not only the wet, but they have ticks and leeches. You want to be off the ground up in the tropics.
    Last edited by AyeJay; 10-01-2017 at 12:09.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre / Exped
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    I was interested in the idea as soon as I heard that there were other types of hammocks beyond the backyard rope-with-wooden-spreader-bars variety. Reading this forum years ago and seeing the crazy amount of gear and setups that are available (I love to tinker) sold me. When my first night in a hammock was better than most nights I've spent on the ground, I was converted. I've bought 3 hammocks since then and have setups outside and in my office. One for me and another spare for my wife or a friend to take out when we camp or go on backpacking trips. Now I'm just saving up to get a WBRR and some specific gear to go along with it as most of my insulation or equipment was bought piecemeal or converted from camping (pads and bags instead of UQs/TQs, etc.)

• + New Posts
  • Page 228 of 258 FirstFirst ... 128178218226227228229230238 ... LastLast