Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    NR UQ, Kelty SB
    Suspension
    Straps
    I started updating my camping equipment a few months back when some recent camping trips had rekindled my passion for camping. I started looking at some tents from the cheap ones to the ultra expensive tents. I came across the Tentsile site and thought it was pretty cool but it seemed to take a while to setup, you see I was looking for something I could setup in five minutes or less and I usually camp by myself in my own tent so I had no need for all the room, oh... and the price tag was around $1500. So that gave me the idea to search for cheaper smaller structure, which led me into Hennessey Hammock's site. After studying the site I was very excited to see how quick and easy setup and take down it was... my search into camping hammocks intensified. I found Just Jeff Hammock Camping page, studied it and followed it to the HF. I studied many different posts from newbies to the veterans and found Shug and his video library on U-tube. About 2 weeks ago or so, after much study of sales and reading reviews online and on the HF, I decided to order WBBXLC 1.7 DL. I am still waiting on it to come in, so I don't know if I like it or not, but I am very excited to receive it and try it out. So now, as I am wait for my first camping hammock to come in, I ran into a post about using a hammock as a bed full time. And after asking Cannibal a few questions and some additional study I decided if I like my camping hammock I am going to try sleeping in one full time.

So this is how my journey begins, I wonder where it will go from here....

Hike!
    I live in the NW and there's so much I have not seen. My last daughter just graduated and I am proactively planning on getting in better shape avoiding boredom and seeing some of my beautiful state by hiking and backpacking. I am approaching retirement age and have never slept well on a flat surface (regardless of all the memory foam). I sleep best in a hammock type position so...I found out that folks are using hammocks as their primary shelter setup while backpacking and I was immediately hooked on hanging. I recently got a Hammock Bliss Double for cheap and am building my susbepnsion system. Can't wait to actually sleep in it some night.

Banned
    Hi to All! I am a new guy here and recently joined the forum to participate in interesting discussions.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Black Mega Ogee
    Insulation
    Lotsa options
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Six motorcycle crashes in my 20s have my back paying dues in my 50s...so 7-10 days in the field got tougher. Started looking for options and found the Clark line. The was the beginning.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC 1.7dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG All Around
    Suspension
    Straps and DUTCH
    My chiropractor recommended getting a hammock to alleviate terrible back and knee pain from ground sleeping, so here I am. Hoping that new WBBBXLC will be the cure to what ails me!

Hammock
    My new warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I was in the military and have always been more at home in the woods than in a building. 173 jumps and countless road marches kinda screwed up my back and I almost gave up hiking and camping until I came across shug's you tu e site o e night. I gave hammocks a try and ever since I've been back at home in the woods any chance I get

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless
    Tarp
    8.5' x 8.5' sil
    Insulation
    Jack's-R-Better UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    I have been both a hanger and a ground dweller: hanger in warm weather, ground sleeper in cold. After my latest trip to the Lost Creek Wilderness, I have decided to elevate in all conditions. Why? Because I had the hardest time finding ground level enough that my silnylon bivy sack would not slide. And because I hiked past so many beautiful possible hammock camping sites. The freedom of hammock camping allows me to choose campsites remote from the trail and from frequented (because of open level ground) locations.

i sleep in a hammock at home also i have one on my balcony and one in the house , has done my sciatica wonders, check this out http://www.squidoo.com/relaxing-with-a-hammock

KungFuGrip

First Hang

I spent years tent camping and began bivy camping after joining the Marines. The problem was that they both slept the same and no matter how much I enjoyed the trip, I was always glad to come back to my bed. About a month ago, a buddy and I were planning a trip and he got to talking about his friends' hammocks on their last trip. Subsequently, he ordered a Hennessey and me, looking to test the waters before dropping $200, bought a Byer Moskito for $35 thinking if I didn't like it, no big loss.

Had my first hang weeks ago in Bankhead National Forest, Sipsey Wilderness Area near Double Springs, AL. After the first night waking up completely rested and pain-free, i'm in for life. Watched a ton of Shug's videos and found Just Jeff's website. Both led me here where I have learned a lot in a short period of time. I have since sewn my own hammock and am sewing my own silnylon tarp this week. Paired with my homemade detachable bug net and my homemade fleece sleeping bag, the trip in two weeks should be a solid win. Thanks for everything guys!

Hammock
    Depends
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY UQ w/ SPJB TQ
    Suspension
    Ring
    Started for me in the USAF, back in the tail end of the first gulf war. Most people still don't understand how toxic that landscape was by the time we got there. It was hard to do anything - if not the heat then the fumes of hundreds of wells on fire. Honestly it's the worst thing I've ever seen and I give huge props to our EOD for getting creative and using captured enemy ordnance to shut them down. I was CTO (Close to Operations) for communications - slung my hammock between two hummers, we had four and about 20 of us did the same. Talk about a "bunk buddy". =)

• + New Posts
  • Page 141 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4191131139140141142143151191241 ... LastLast