Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images

What made you a "hanger"?

I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great idea. I'll stick this thread for a few weeks and see what kind of responses the new members give.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Last Christmas I bought a mosquito hammock on clearance from REI. Set it up for summer in back yard to relax. Having been an outdoors man, my whole life I thought this would be great for backpacking or camping in general. I thought if I could get a tarp for rain,wind ,and whatever elements would protect me. I spend way to much time on the internet looking at backpacking/camping gear. I just stumbled across this site. Just recently I actually joined the group. I also made my first purchase of a reel hammock the Warbonnet Black bird. If it wasn't for this group or hangers I would probably still be in a tent. Thanks guys, I setting up the blackbird tonight in the backyard. Should be in the low 30's.
    Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Tarp
    Decathlon tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by russmay View Post
    Last Christmas I bought a mosquito hammock on clearance from REI. Set it up for summer in back yard to relax. Having been an outdoors man, my whole life I thought this would be great for backpacking or camping in general. I thought if I could get a tarp for rain,wind ,and whatever elements would protect me. I spend way to much time on the internet looking at backpacking/camping gear. I just stumbled across this site. Just recently I actually joined the group. I also made my first purchase of a reel hammock the Warbonnet Black bird. If it wasn't for this group or hangers I would probably still be in a tent. Thanks guys, I setting up the blackbird tonight in the backyard. Should be in the low 30's.
    Russ
    Same story here :-) Except I still have that hammock, I quite like it, nothing wrong with it for summer camping. And, what really got me going were Shug's youtube vids (I just noticed he is on this forum too, dude you are too funny), so far I use a cheap plastic surplus tarp, but I desperately want it replaced!

I came across the idea of hammock camping when I was looking into ultralight backpacking, and it immediately appealed to me, since it solves all the issues with tents that I don't like (pack volume, sleeping on the ground, water leaking through the floor). When HH had their demo unit sale in October, I finally caved and got myself a UL backpacker asym.

Tried it recently during a climbing trip to Kentucky for six nights and loved it. Before that trip, every time I've been camping I woke up at about 7 AM feeling stiff and uncomfortable. One of the days during the trip, someone had to wake me up at 9:30 to get my butt in gear so we'd be on time to start the day. I was so cozy and comfortable, it was almost a shame to get up.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hammocks are cool!

While hiking the Foothills trail this summer saw a Hammock/Tarp set-up and thought it was the coolest shelter I had seen.

I used a small tent about 20 nights and never had a good nights sleep even with sleeping pads. Plus the floor always got damp or wet in the rain. So why not get off the ground?

Did not think I would like it but bought a $20 Grand Trunk ultralite and after trying some different DIY slings and tarps am hooked on hammocks!

Now have the Nano 7 and sleep better on the trail than in my bed. So much comfort and like the rocking effect plus it's fast to set-up, etc.

I find myself walking in town or whatever and see trees that would be cool to hang from.

Been really interested with it because a buddy, who was a sailor for quite a long time bought one and installed one in the woods where he used to crash by the end of the night.

Things did not always go as planned remembering that there were times that he would almost freeze to death because he did not properly nest things to make it a better environment to crash on.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Being a lifelong sailor, it occurred to me a few years ago that a hammock might work well in the woods. I thought it was a great idea... bought an Army Surplus hammock, and nearly froze on the first night out, at 50 degrees F!

Then I found this forum, and learned that there were many people way ahead of me.

It was amusing to learn that Mr. Hennessey started out with the same hammock as I did!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hennessy so far
    Tarp
    Explorer..so far
    Insulation
    HSS
    Suspension
    Repel Rings
    I can relate to your story. The rock of the hammock reminds me of the 11 years I spent living aboard my 30ft Columbian. I still miss her. Maybe I should name my Hammock.

Images
    while i was searching for the lightest 1 person tent i could buy i landed on Jeff site and then decided to buy a hh i have been hanging here and in the woods since then ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 252 1231151101 ... LastLast