Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Spondyliothesis made me a hanger
    You have a dislocated vertebra?
    Man, I'm done complaining about my little stuff.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennesey Explorer
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Backs are a good reason to get excited about hammocks (HH realized this and have a special section of their site devoted to it)

Sleeping on the ground means pain for me (had arthritis since I was 21)

I was intending to brave it anyway - as I had bought a bike trailer and solar gear and air pump and intended to invest in a heavy duty, super thick inflatable mattress... Then I came upon a reference to the Henessey as being 'made for bicycle touring' found the website, saw immediately that there was a chance for pain free camping and was on ebay 10 minutes later

Moh2o

Newbie here

Hello, I started hanging after going on a vacation in southern mexico on the beaches of Oaxaca, near Puerto Escondido.
    It was warm at night and I liked to sleep in a Mayan Style woven string hammock. I have had 4 over the last 20 years. I started out with Cotton string ones, the Mayan style, of course.
    I never cared for the 'spreader bar types'.
    To me there has to be at least 180 pairs of end strings for the hammock to be big enough for me. And at least an 7.5 foot bed and 14' over all.
    I have one right now that is 15'-10" over all and 7'-9" bed. and it is really wide. 250 pairs of end strings. There is nothing like it for sale on the internet as far as I can tell.
    I tried one of those nylon fabric types like most backpackers like, and are so popular here. I tried the 'Hammock Bliss" XL , from CampMor.
    I also have a 'TreeBoat' from New Tribe. With the snap one quilted under liner.
    I like sleeping in my Mayan Hammocks in the summer because they breathe so well.
    I want to get a huge one that is 100% cotton though, because I am getting tired of the 'static electricity feel' I get from the nylon string type.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    correction, i have Spondylolisthesis. Right now i dont have time to backpack, i always wanted to go since my dad took me when i was a kid, however, going with friends i quickly learned my idea of backpacking was different than their idea of 'camping'. IE no hiking involved. Anyway, i have a baby on the way, in a few days lol. I hope someday i will be able to complete a thru hike-my dream, hopefully with my son. Im 23 now, so i hvae hope. but my disease is degenerative, it gets worth with age. Without hammocks, i would have to quit. Also the AARN pack is what i hope to get one ay, it might help me. SO i hope someday to go hiking again, i havent had time in almost 2 years, hopefully i will after we get settled with the baby.

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Reading through all these posts, I guess my story is fairly typical. I got back into camping and hiking last fall after a long hiatus, only to find that I simply could not sleep for no more than three hours a night in a tent. I am an insomniac even when I sleep at home, and I have also suffered from severe back for the last ten years as the result of messing up my back while windsurfing. As a result, no matter what I did I simply could not get a good night’s sleep while camping.

Being a methodical fellow I tested the various parts of my camping setup (Tent, pad, sleeping bag) at home, and realized that the primary problem was my sleeping pad; no matter what I used I simply couldn't get comfortable enough to allow me to doze off.

After returning from a recent trip that was basically ruined due to my inability to sleep, I was pondering the $150 Expeds online when I decided I had had enough. I joined this forum, started reading, and ultimately bought a Blackbird from Brandon (Warbonnetguy) . Since I don't have a whole lot of money, and had never slept in a hammock before it was a bit of a shot in the dark, but having set up my new hammock today for the first time, I think I'm headed in the right direction. All I know is that I was so comfortable that my eyelids kept drooping, and I had to struggle very hard to keep from falling asleep in a public park It remains to be seen how the hammock will work out when I actually camp out in it, but then again, I couldn't really have a worse experience than I had in my tent, so any sleep I do get would be a significant improvement!
    Fiat Luchs

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Like so many others, I came in search of a good, pain free, night's sleep.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I think this forum made me a 'hanger'. At first I wasn't that interested because I estimated it would increase my backpack weight by 4oz (yes, I'm a weight weenie) and I had the misconception that it meant sleeping like a banana. But I read thread after thread and learned that a correct lie was flat and so many of you reveled in getting a good night's sleep without aches and pains. So, I purchased a parachute hammock about a month ago and haven't slept in my bed since. Now when I backpack with my BB I actually look forward to turning-in for the night. In my tent, I would toss and turn and wake up with sore hips, back ache and a stiff neck. Now, I don't want to get up. So, I am thankful that I found this forum and thank all of you for your contributions!
    Dan
    W7DDM

Greetings,

I just discovered this forum. I was traveling in Mexico about 20 years ago, when I first had a chance to sleep in a hammock. I never looked back.

Since then, I've owned several hammocks. I use them for camping, reclining - and prefer a hammock to a bed for a good night's sleep.

Happy Trails,

JJ Murphy
    WriterByNature.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Cats meow, snugfit
    Suspension
    Webbing and biners
    It was always a pain trying to find a flat spot for the 2 man tent. Roots, rocks, holes, you guys know what I mean. A few years ago I was in a camping store in Corning, Ny. They had an ENO hammock display. I got in and tried a few. I was sold immediatly. Bought it all. Have'nt been a ground dweller since. Just bought a Clark, Wow! Even better!

• + New Posts
  • Page 23 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast