DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    You really should put step eight back in. First, that step helps guide the thread properly into the needle eye. If you don't slip the thread behind thst guide you run the very real risk of having it loop and tangle. There is a groove in the needle shaft that helps the thread make the proper loop below the plate. This guide helps keep the thread aligned with that groove.

It also has an effect on the total tension of the system. Each bend and twist in the threading pattern has a reason for being there.

Regarding the spool position, be aware of what kind of spool you have. Some brands and older spools have a slit in the rim of the spool to hold the loose end of the thread Always place that slit at the rear end of a horizontal spool holder. That prevents the thread from getting caught in the slit as it winds off. Your spool is a newer style so that is less of a factor. I bring it up because you might find yourself with an old style spool at some point.

Stitches are looking good. Glad we were able to help.
    I have tried keeping step 8 in play but for some reason it makes the stitching worse. I think since the thread is thicker than normal it gets hung up some how on that "upper eye". Who knows though. I've got some Gutermann on the way from DIY Gear Supply. Hope it gets here soon.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Looking good. One line of stitching in a rolled hem is all you need, so you can cut your sewing time and thread usage in half.
    Oh I figured that two rows of stitching would make it stronger but I'll take your advice because I was worried about running out of bobbin thread and thinking how I would refill the bobbin while stuck in the middle of the hem. Thanks!

Also, would you fold the hem to the outside of the hammock or fold it towards the inside? I was thinking I should fold to the outside to protect the hem from me getting in and out of the hammock. What are your thoughts?
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Oh I figured that two rows of stitching would make it stronger but I'll take your advice because I was worried about running out of bobbin thread and thinking how I would refill the bobbin while stuck in the middle of the hem. Thanks!

The hem on the long edge of a hammock doesn't need much strength. All it's doing is keeping the hem rolled. The 3 layers of fabric reinforce the edge.

Sooner or later, you will run out of thread in the bobbin. Just cut the top thread and fill the bobbin. Overlap the start of the new stitching with the old.

Also, would you fold the hem to the outside of the hammock or fold it towards the inside? I was thinking I should fold to the outside to protect the hem from me getting in and out of the hammock. What are your thoughts?

I roll it to the outside so I have a smooth edge against me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234