WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Sat night temps got down to 24, the first sock Coffee made had no condensation in / on it.
    Tonight it is supposed to get down to 13, my coldest yet with the sock, so we shall see.
    Notes: The sock goes to about 1' "below" my feet to about 2' "above" my head. There is a gap under my UQ of about 2" to 3", & the top of the sock (suspended by the ridgeline) is about 1.5' to 2' from me. There is a Oval opening at the foot: about 8" x 2" & at the head its about 12" x 4". The head end opening is closed by a draw string like on a stuff sack.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Question: Is there some reason why just adding a Heat Sheet between the hammock and the UQ's, with the UQ's between the HS and sock, would not solve the condensation problem, or at least certainly greatly decrease it. As well as adding a few degrees of warmth? This would not help with any top side condensation ( unless a full VB was used), but I don't know why it wouldn't help with the UQ, even if that UQ is surrounded with a DWR sock, or even with Sil-Nylon.

PS: I can witness that placing a HeatSheet under my Claytor No Net hammock, but on top of the bottom layer down of my PeaPod, for one week with temps in the mid 20s to 30s, caused no significant condensation ( a very few drops at the most) even on top of the SB. And more importantly, kept my PeaPod bone dry with no condensation, as there would be little chance to dry out for one week. As far as I could tell, there was zero loft loss after one week in the cold and wet. In fact, the main reason I did this was to make sure the "breathable" PeaPod stayed dry. When the rain and snow was blowing sideways, I was sort of wishing for a sock also- to keep that stuff off of the pod's dwr. But the tarp worked well enough in this case.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-20-2009 at 12:04.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    good to read up on our history regarding the onslaught of great new designs for cold weather protection.

after this... a sock with proper ventilation... can be a critical component to a sleep system. i'm waiting to see what WL releases,, but WB, AE and DH have some good stuff already available. until then...
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123