Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Single
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (soon)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Fixed or Adjustable Loop

So I made a gathered end hammock per Knotty's instructions (Great video, thanks). Since it is my first hammock, I ended up using 1.1 ripstop instead of testing out the Nobul fabric idea I had been toying with (maybe hammock #2?). Now I am on to the Whoopie Slings. I have done a lot of research on making the whoppies, and almost every set of instructions I have seen show a fixed size loop on the hammock side. Is there an advantage of the fixed end over another adjustable loop on this end? I was thinking of doing another adjustable loop with the same size loop (max 4") and same bury (5"). I like the idea of being able to cinch down the loop around the gathered end just for a little extra security. Any reason this would not work?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Hey Rubicon, The forces applied to that girth hitch will snug it down plenty. I mean try it for your own curiosity but a fixed eye girth hitched isn't going anywhere. Catch ya on the trail sometime. Dayton here!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It should work, but it would leave you with two dangling ends - one from each whoopiie - and it would give you two buried sections between the end of the hammock and the tree strap, so you'd need to have trees farther apart. Using a fixed loop on the hammock side you can larkshead onto the hammock, and even run the buried part around the hammock more than once so the hammock to tree strap distance can be shorter. I think you can cinch down a larkshead pretty easily, even a double wrapped one, and it's not a connection that you'd undo unless you wanted to re-gather the hammock end.

HamMike's right. It will hold. By the way, "Larkshead" and "Girth Hitch": same beastie.
    Last edited by WV; 01-23-2013 at 08:29.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    The hammock side gets a girth hitch. Click HERE. I don't see how an adjustable loop would add anything to that attachment.

If you're thinking of simply cinching down an adjustable loop, a girth hitch is much more secure than that because the more weight you put on it, the tighter it gets. A cinched down adjustable loop will not get any tighter than you can pull it.

To add more security, make a few wraps around the hammock end before you form the girth hitch. This will wrap the bury of the fixed loop around the hammock end and bring the end of the adjustable loop's bury right up to the hammock so there's no extra line. Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Single
    Insulation
    DIY UQ (soon)
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Ah. I see now. The girth hitch looks more secure than what I was thinking. And the more weight you put on it the tighter it gets. Thanks for the help guys. So, what size loop do you guys make then? 4" seems pretty excessive if you just need it big enough to wrap the line back through.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by rubicon1 View Post
    ...So, what size loop do you guys make then?...
    I usually use a 1.5" fixed eye. No particular reason other than habit.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    You got it, Rube! I was going to edit my post to say that David (WV) posted his good explanation while I was typing my post.

The smallest loop you can girth hitch the amsteel on the better, if you're going to try to make extra wraps to get your adjustable bury as close to the hammock as you can. Remember, though, the extra wraps take space in your loop. And that loop gets small quick. A loop a couple of inches long should do 'ya. Best of luck!

Edit: Gmcttr beat me too! You guys are too fast. Yeah, an inch and a half ought to work! Good luck, friend!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thumbs up You have a valid question....

Quote Originally Posted by rubicon1 View Post
    ...almost every set of instructions I have seen show a fixed size loop on the hammock side.
    I have also seen this, but somewhere I saw where someone put the adjustable loop onto the hammock side. For someone using a tree strap / marlin spike / toggle arrangement this is a much better idea. I have found that when I went back to adjust my sling after a bit of time in the hammock, the adjustable loop that was wrapped around the toggle knot was difficult to work with. When the fixed loop is put on the toggle knot, it is very simple to adjust the sling because the adjustable loop slides easily through the rigging on the hammock side.

This is also going to require that the fixed loop be slightly larger to make it easier to put onto the knot produced with the marlin spike / toggle. Your mileage may vary depending on the width of your tree straps and what you use for a toggle.

One draw-back to this process is that the extra length of the rope coming out of the whoopie sling no longer acts as a drip line. You may need to add a danglie something to route any water running down the rope away from the hammock.

GeezerScouter

• + New Posts