Thread: Edge tarp

Hammock
    1.1 DOUBLE WBBB
    Tarp
    EDGE
    Suspension
    webbing

Edge tarp

does the edge tarp provide enough coverage for possible rain or blowing rain? I will be getting the blackbird 1.7, thanks

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I don't have the edge butI do have similar sized tarps and yes it does. Just need to pay more attention. However, I tend to like the larger tarps like the BMJ and Superfly since they give me more coverage for little penalty.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I have no experience with the Edge, but I recently bought a Superfly. My thinking was that the resale value on the Superfly is so good (they regularly go for the new price but with lines and shipping included) that I would rather just try it out first, and if I decide it's more than I need then I can sell it and pick up an Edge and only lose $20 or so.

My guess is that the first few trips I take I'll be really happy to have the extra coverage, since they will be in colder temps, and as things warm up I will feel it less necessary. If this is the case I'll probably just keep the SF and plan on grabbing an Edge for Summer eventually. My major concern with that plan is the random torrential downpour in Summer; since switching to hammocking I've gotten a lot of 'but you can't hang out in a hammock if you get stuck in the rain for six hours' comments from friends. I'm thinking that carrying a few extra ounces (five I believe) will be worth it prove them wrong.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Well... There is 9 oz. difference between the two.. (sf-edge) If that is important to you that is all that matters... Brandon puts a lot of thought into his gear.. The location, and how you set up is more important as your tarp gets smaller.. Maybe a poncho- rain jacket to close one end off, if it gets really blowy-ugly.. I went with the tadpole just for the longer rl coverage which is important to me.. hyot..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    My major concern with that plan is the random torrential downpour in Summer; since switching to hammocking I've gotten a lot of 'but you can't hang out in a hammock if you get stuck in the rain for six hours' comments from friends. I'm thinking that carrying a few extra ounces (five I believe) will be worth it prove them wrong.
    Years ago, I was using an early hennessey hammock with a diamond sil tarp. We got to a campsite just as the rain broke. My buddies put up their tent. I put up my hammock and tarp. I staked the hammock off to the side, threw down a small groundsheet and we hung out under my tarp, cooked dinner there, had an enjoyable time even though it was pouring. Even a small tarp makes a nasty day better.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by mad goat View Post
    Years ago, I was using an early hennessey hammock with a diamond sil tarp. We got to a campsite just as the rain broke. My buddies put up their tent. I put up my hammock and tarp. I staked the hammock off to the side, threw down a small groundsheet and we hung out under my tarp, cooked dinner there, had an enjoyable time even though it was pouring. Even a small tarp makes a nasty day better.
    No doubt, but I am worried about the day that I accidentally get caught in near hurricane conditions, hypothetically of course. I don't want to end up hanging in their tent because the wind is blowing up under my tarp making it impossible to sit anywhere but in the hammock. I know that will probably only happen once in my hiking career, but I'm confident it will happen eventually.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    No doubt, but I am worried about the day that I accidentally get caught in near hurricane conditions, hypothetically of course. I don't want to end up hanging in their tent because the wind is blowing up under my tarp making it impossible to sit anywhere but in the hammock. I know that will probably only happen once in my hiking career, but I'm confident it will happen eventually.
    I don't know my friend... The last place I would want to be is in a crowded tent with a bunch of guys during such a storm.. Rather be swaying in hammock bliss listening to their tent flood...
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I don't know my friend... The last place I would want to be is in a crowded tent with a bunch of guys during such a storm.. Rather be swaying in hammock bliss listening to their tent flood...
    You may be right... As I said in my initial post, this is all just theory at this point. If you see my Superfly in the for sale section in a few months you'll know you were right!

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    The Edge works really well in rain conditions. I have had no problems staying dry in my blackbird. Now, I haven't been out in gale force, sideways rain, but run of the mill thunderstorms are no problem. You have to be a little careful with your site selection as you can't be pointing into a diagonal rain. I think I have a good 12" of tarp past the ends of the WBBB.
    I did finally make a set of Grizz Beaks to bring along when I am really worried about the weather. Closes up the ends and makes a nice alcove, not bad for 5-6 oz and they stay at home for mild weather.
    jason

Quote Originally Posted by callihan_44 View Post
    does the edge tarp provide enough coverage for possible rain or blowing rain? I will be getting the blackbird 1.7, thanks

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    Agree with OldRagFreeze : you can always sell it.
    Give it a try if you are out in winter or shoulder seasons.

Have the Edge with a WBBB : three years of backpacking.
    When wind and rain : hang rain jacket ( or Packa ) over end.

Last winter got a SuperFly. Wonderful to have the doors in the winter.
    On a 17* night, setup low to ground; on the nightly watering, the air inside the SuperFly was remarkably warmer than the windy outside.

Edge in three seasons.
    SuperFly in winter. Such as this Friday at the NJWinterHang.
    trailname : Distracted By Stone

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast