Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    23 degrees is my low. I realize that might not seem that cold and most of you have gone much lower, but here in Florida, it don't get any colder than that.
    I believe that was during the Annual Florida Hang 1 AND 2. I was there for 2. Only I was an hour away in my backyard for Sat night at under 26* and Sun night at the hang at around 28*(I believe it was a few * lower than that, though).
    Both nights there was no wind and I was on a walmart pad, walmart 60* sleeping bag as a peapod with my jacket over the head end, and no tarp. A small throw fleece for a cover. Only my feet were cold.
    This is my personal low. Not bad for a Florida boy.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    Dutchware tarp
    Insulation
    HG phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutchware
    Images
    OK Shug..
    Big fan, in fact, your winter shenanagians are what gave Russ and I the nerve to take our hammocks out into the winter. Sooooooo...we are looking for a hand held wireless thermometer like yours (bragging rights dontchaknow) and wondered who made it. Our winter adventures aren't as cold as yours, but we have fun!!! (Our record so far is 0 F.) PS How do keep the condensation down??
    Peggy & Russ --The Jerzybears -

I do not read advertisements. I would spend all of my time wanting things.
    -Franz Kafka

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzybears View Post
    OK Shug..
    Big fan, in fact, your winter shenanagians are what gave Russ and I the nerve to take our hammocks out into the winter. Sooooooo...we are looking for a hand held wireless thermometer like yours (bragging rights dontchaknow) and wondered who made it. Our winter adventures aren't as cold as yours, but we have fun!!! (Our record so far is 0 F.) PS How do keep the condensation down??
    It is a "no-name" brand I got at Home Depot. Like this....http://www.amazon.com/Springfield-91...ss+thermometer
    Condensation....I use my Frost Bib which is a bit I came up with.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I am in the middle of doing my personal best low temperature hang. This is only the third time I have ever slept in a hammock! I got the hammock bug before I even owned one. I am in northern Massachusetts and the temperature is 12 degrees Fahrenheit as I lay. I threw a couple of the JCP Puffers in here too. I am trying another back yard test with a modification of the segmented pad extender idea, I'll post photos in another thread tomorrow,I'll just say that duct tape is involved.

I'm the guy who had the police come and pay me a visit on my first hang. Since that outing we purchased Amsteel Blue and made our whoopie slings and some plastic tarps, and we've been very busy learning as much as we can. Heck, one of my twins has even learned how to juggle just because we watched so many Shug videos. Really. I took photos of our tarp build and we used juggling beanie balls as markers. Thanks Shug, you have made a long lasting impression here.

We are going to try hanging in the White Mountains of New Hampshire Saturday as part of a Boy Scout winter trek. We're going to be the only ones hammocking.

It's 2 am here & I am going into shut eye mode.
    Last edited by Golden Dome; 02-05-2013 at 04:48. Reason: Grammar

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey Shug. How much weight did you sweat off to get that picture?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Dome View Post
    I am in the middle of doing my personal best low temperature hang. This is only the third time I have ever slept in a hammock! I got the hammock bug before I even owned one. I am in northern Massachusetts and the temperature is 12 degrees Fahrenheit as I lay. I threw a couple of the JCP Puffers in here too. I am trying another back yard test with a modification of the segmented pad extender idea, I'll post photos in another thread tomorrow,I'll just say that duct tape is involved.

I'm the guy who had the police come and pay me a visit on my first hang. Since that outing we purchased Amsteel Blue and made our whoopie slings and some plastic tarps, and we've been very busy learning as much as we can. Heck, one of my twins has even learned how to juggle just because we watched so many Shug videos. Really. I took photos of our tarp build and we used juggling beanie balls as markers. Thanks Shug, you have made a long lasting impression here.

We are going to try hanging in the White Mountains of New Hampshire Saturday as part of a Boy Scout winter trek. We're going to be the only ones hammocking.

It's 2 am here & I am going into shut eye mode.
    Whooooo Buddy......you'll never go hungry if you can juggle!

Quote Originally Posted by NWOHanger View Post
    Hey Shug. How much weight did you sweat off to get that picture?
    I was not in there long......believe me)))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    This past weekend we got down to 6 with -4 windchill. The cool thing is that my nephew went with me and it was his first hang ever and he stayed warm on a pad and a 0 degree sleeping bag he has. I was really proud of him. We were car camping so I had 4 more bags in the car if he needed anymore but he was good and said he slept like a baby.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountnman View Post
    This past weekend we got down to 6 with -4 windchill. The cool thing is that my nephew went with me and it was his first hang ever and he stayed warm on a pad and a 0 degree sleeping bag he has. I was really proud of him. We were car camping so I had 4 more bags in the car if he needed anymore but he was good and said he slept like a baby.
    This is my coldest hang as well. My feet froze, so I won't be doing much in the way of winter camping 'till next year when I can afford some (or make some) heavier down. Man that hang was fun tho!

Being in Michigan, we can get some wild temp swings. Last week we hit 60, then 2 days later it was down to 14 f. My personal low temp is 19f, a couple weeks ago in the backyard. Wife thought I was crazy, but I had the urge to get out and enjoy a night outdoors. Used my 20degree down REI bag, then an extra north face rigged as a peapod. Was warm and toasty all night! I've been in 40 mph winds hanging under the an elevated deck along the Lake Huron shore. This was a couple weeks ago too. Temps in the 30's and I had 2 small rectangle tarps rigged up to keep the snow off me. Wind came up at about 3 am that started swinging me pretty good. Then it shifted and came from the end instead of the side...got pretty violent and then the sleet started. Had to bail and drag everything into the cottage, it the now blizzard conditons. My down puffy even blew away and I found it the next morning 2 houses away in a the neighbors window well. I can get along in the cold, but that wind was scary!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CB200T View Post
    This is my coldest hang as well. My feet froze, so I won't be doing much in the way of winter camping 'till next year when I can afford some (or make some) heavier down. Man that hang was fun tho!
    If the feet was the only really cold spot, just buy or make some down booties to cover your 2-3 pairs of socks. There are multiple threads on how to make them. The booties will keep your toes toasty warm, then you can complain about how cold your calves are

My feet were my only cold spot on my coldest hang. Took care of that.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast