Help the noob ! !

Help....
    I am a real noob with questions that have probably been answered before and may be buried deep inside this forum but here goes......

I have an ENO Doublenest and have been studying up on the basics, looking, looking,looking...
    I have the ridgeline figured out although I am sure it will need some tweaking, I have the 'stuff' ordered to make my underquilt,and have bought 'the Ultimate Hang'.
    I have set up in my living room for experimenting,etc.
    Last night I tried to spend my 1st night of hanging. I have napped a few times but this was to be an all nighter.
    I know I made some mistakes so this is where you come in and tell me what I should have done.
    My mistakes....#1 was I put the pad in the hammock with me. (Pad being the windshield reflector thing)
    #2................a mummy sleeping bag.
    With this junk in there I could not get comfortable at all.
    When napping it is just me, the hammock & a blanket over me...sleeps good that way.

When my poncho liner arrives I will use it & the windshield thing to make the UQ.
    So that won't be IN the hammock anymore.
    What should I lay on? Nothing?
    How do you do this?
    Teach an old dog a trick or 2...I am gearing up for a weekend but I am trying to do my testing for now inside untill I get all the kinks out.
    Tell me what I am doing wrong......( I only survived about 4 hours last night)

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    yeah when you use an UQ you just lay in the hammock nothing under you but the hammock.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    Welcome, I have the same hammock. Did you sleep on a diagonal? I use an air mattress and have no problems getting cozy even though the thermarest tends to shift out from under me. Also try to get a little more sag in the hammock when setting it up. The deeper sag helps get a flatter lay once your in it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is my volley........
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Once you get your UQ made up you will not need anything inside the hammock with you, unless you only have it there to supplement your UQ if the temps are low and you are still getting cold. However I don't foresee that being a problem inside.

THANK YOU !
    I figured I was taking something simple and making a complicated mess out of it. I plan to try again tonight....and maybe a nap or 2 this afternoon...
    Thanks again and I'm still listening for ANY info there is!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I used a Walmart CCF pad before I got my UQ and will still use it for below freezing temps. That PLUQ does not normally get folks too much below freezing or at least it doesn't me.

A couple of things to check:
    1) Ensure you are laying on a pretty good diagonal in the ENO DBL. It is a fairly wide hammock and you get a much flatter lay that way (or I sure do)
    2) Make sure you are using your ridge line to get a decent hang angle using the information in the Ultimate Guide for set up. I believe I set my to 30% and was able to get it dialed in very quickly.
    3) If you are going to use a pad, I would suggest you get/make an SPE. It makes a world off difference in comfort if you have the wings and it is not sliding all over. This is how I made mine: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearSPE.html
    4)If your UQ is made for the temps you will be sleeping in, then you don't need anything under you except the quilt.
    5) I don't use my sleeping bag for my TQ. I found it was just too much, too heavy, and the zipper kept "poking" me all night. I did find a down throw at Kmart which I sewed together at the bottom to make a foot box of sorts, and I use it. It is way lighter than my bag is. I have had it down to 25F and was cozy with it.

And most important thing is watch all of Shug's video's. What he explains in them would take me days to find/read on the forum.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by kdarsey View Post
    What should I lay on? Nothing?
    How do you do this?
    It almost seems too simple. Just lay down on the nice silky hammock fabric and drop gently off to sleep. The only hard part is summoning the desire to get out.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I have an ENO DN hanging full time under a loft in my son's room. It took my longer to perfect my hang inside than it did outside. In the end it required attaching the foot end of my ENO about 8-12 inches higher than my head end. The difference for me was a lite nap to all-out coma.

Good luck

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL ENO D, WW
    Tarp
    HG Cuben &Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20*TQ & 20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Practice practice practice...oh and welcome to the madness!
    "Life's short, if you don't stop and look around every once in a while you might miss it". FB

• + New Posts