HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

problems with underquilt adjustment... please help

So here's the story guys
    I recently modded one of my old down sleeping bags into an underquilt.
    Thread seen here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65288
    The size is 46x72, I chose this size because it seemed to be the right size for a full length uq based on the threads I had been reading concerning full length uqs.
    The problem I'm having is that at the foot end there is considerable slack in the uq causing there to be a huge gap between the hammock body and the uq.
    It seems that no matter how tight I adjust the suspension I cannot eliminate this gap...
    Even when attaching the foot end corners(not the shock cord suspension) directly to the ridgeline a sizable gap is present.
    Isn't it a bad idea to attach the uq directly to the ridgeline with no shock cord in between for fear of putting undue stress on the on the uq body?

Does anybody else run into this problem with full length uqs?
    Should I be using a different shape? It seems as though a semi-rectangular shape would be ideal. But I went with a basic rectangle because that's what others had done and it seems to have worked alright for them.
    When cinching up the foot end there is much more bunching than at the head end, is it more practical for the foot end of the uq to be narrower to lessen the amount of sag I'm experiencing?

When I tested it in the field it got down to mid-teens at night and I woke up a few times with cold feet and periodically cold butt as well. If I could eliminate these gaps I'm pretty confident that I would have been completely comfortable using this uq at these temps.

And one more thing... When I attach the uq to my ridgeline the ridgeline sags about 8 inches or so... Should I be attaching it where the hammock body meets the suspension or the ridgeline?

This is my first experience with an uq so I'm a total noob.

Also, I'm looking to head out to Lake Berryessa in a couple weekends again and I'm expecting similar nighttime lows(upper to mid teens) so I'm hoping to get this dialed before then.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I had the same type of issues when I tried to mod a sleeping bag into an UQ. I ended up using a bunch of shock cord to pull the whole thing up to the hammock (I think I was going over the ridgeline in 3 places) I'm intersted to see how others deal with this.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I had similar issues with a diy 3/4 length. One answer was to.put a third tie out on the foot end-- dead center. That helped considerably. I also used heavier shock.cord and pulled it real tight ...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I had similar issues with a diy 3/4 length. One answer was to.put a third tie out on the foot end-- dead center. That helped considerably. I also used heavier shock.cord and pulled it real tight ...
    I'm using 1/8" shock cord already but this puppy is pretty heavy... Right around 3lbs, I believe(I don't really have an accurate way to weigh it). I'll try that extra tie out for sure. Thanks

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    My first question to you would be: Are you attaching it and stepping back to look, or are you having someone else of similar size and weight in the hammy to give you a better look while you inspect the gaps?
    If the former, then I would recomend the latter to help you in the primary adjustment stage.
    The UQ sounds a little heavy so maybe try SGT ROCK's method of attaching the end corners directly to the hammock side hem with the shortest length shockcord possible.
    Also, looks like your DIY skills are really good. I would suggest a small, light draft collar at each end of the UQ so when you cinch it, hopefully it gives you a tight seal.

Good luck with this cool project and give us an update when you get it dialed in.

*edit* I just saw that it is pretty heavy. Try some extra support down the length of the quilt.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    My first question to you would be: Are you attaching it and stepping back to look, or are you having someone else of similar size and weight in the hammy to give you a better look while you inspect the gaps?
    If the former, then I would recomend the latter to help you in the primary adjustment stage.
    The UQ sounds a little heavy so maybe try SGT ROCK's method of attaching the end corners directly to the hammock side hem with the shortest length shockcord possible.
    Also, looks like your DIY skills are really good. I would suggest a small, light draft collar at each end of the UQ so when you cinch it, hopefully it gives you a tight seal.

Good luck with this cool project and give us an update when you get it dialed in.

*edit* I just saw that it is pretty heavy. Try some extra support down the length of the quilt.
    For adjustment I'm pretty much just laying in the hammock and feeling around in between the hammock and underquilt, feeling for gaps. Then getting out and making an adjustment and back and forth and so on...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Check out Dutchware. Dutch has some clips that you can sew to the side of your hammock and also has innovative clips that work to hold your suspension above the structural ridge line that allow adjustments to the tension.

G-Nut

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Seems like adding the extra shock cord in the middle if the short sides has helped quite a bit. I'll get a chance to test it in the field next weekend at the Napa hang so we'll see. Thanks for all the responses!

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    I would try to get a volunteer about the same size as you to lay in the hammock with the quilt attached, that way you can get a good look at what is really going on with it. That should make tweaking the suspension easier.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HH Asym tarp
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Looks like I got it figured out! Went out this weekend and it got into the mid 20s the first night and about 30 the second night and I was toasty!
    Thanks everybody for the tips, they really helped

• + New Posts