HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images

Minnesota Froze Butt Hang 2013

My report on the frozen fun and activities

MacEntyre and I left MI on Wednesday morning headed up and across the Mackinac Bridge then west arriving in MN at Stairguy's to spend the night before heading out Thursday morning.
    [IMG] [/IMG]

Early Thursday morning we headed north to Finland. We had lunch in the corner bar before heading to the woods around noon.

Watertones, Madhob, Lonetracker, Shug, and MT arrived as we were unloading, we all headed off to the camp area. All the others arrived shortly, and pitched in to help setup the group area after getting their own areas set.
    Setup individual sites then did the canopy cover, gathered lots of wood and started heating water. The gallon each person brought was very helpful due to crusty snow cover. Light snow overnight and minus 10f.

Friday we cut lots of wood and later in the day snow fall increased. We ate like kings all day long, and kept up activities to stay warm. overnight temps somewhere around 20f

Saturday the canopy was down due to snowfall but not damaged from the fire. We put it back up, with a heavier spar, and then we cut a lot more wood, made a lot more water, and ate a lot more. Fronkey arrived and Mac and I shuttled him over to start a practice hike and do cold weather elevation training. Some went to hike in section 13, but I did not due to the shuttle.

Sunday we took camp down and went to Ely Mn to visit the Steger mukluk factory and Paragus, an outfitter in the area, had lunch in town then headed back to Shakopee for the night.

Monday up early and headed for a long ride home but did stop at the Marbles outlet, they manufacture knives, compasses, and gunsites. Later we stopped at Rapid River Knife works and looked around a bit. South of Mackinac in MI it was a white out for a while so travel was slow, but arrived home about 10:30Pm.

Mac did a test on my hammock straps, which I had used in the basement for about 8 years, they failed twice, but I had provided a crash pad so the landing was not real bad. We found the straps were not of a good enough quality and should not have been used in that setting, my fault. But they did work for me for a long time. They are now retired
    Mac left Tuesday heading back to NC, another 10 hour drive from here.

Winter camping is a whole lot of very hard work.
    If you like hard work, combined with great friends, and lots of food it is really a fun time.

Once again I had a BLAST

YOUTUBE

More photos in my signature PHOTO link
    Last edited by TZBrown; 01-23-2013 at 15:06.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It was really great seeing everyone and thanks a lot to you and Mac for giving me the lift to the trailhead. I'm looking forward to the video.

Fronkey

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Im saving up and keeping watch to see if I can make next years hang out with you guys.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    gooooood stuff!!! Its been fun to see the different perspectives of this hang!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL BD TP
    Insulation
    WL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    Images
    Looks like you guys had a good time up there..Just curious, how far were you from the parking area to your site..Also noticed you wern't wearing snowshoes so the snow must of been packed down a bit..
    If a woman doesn't find you handsome, she should at least find you handy...Red Green

Jerry,

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    It was really great seeing everyone and thanks a lot to you and Mac for giving me the lift to the trailhead. I'm looking forward to the video.

Fronkey
    I love the new avatar, Fronkey!
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Hammock
    exped scout combi
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    polarpod
    First of all I would like to thank "Beep" for the inception of this hang and then "Fourdog and Paul" for following through w/the first 2 years. W/O their guidance and knowledge this 3rd year would not have been a success.
    My exp. started weeks earlier with a preliminary trip(solo) and then a confirmation trip w/Shug and Fronkey) sweet...........4me actual trip started w/arrival of TZ and Mac at my abode Wed. night. Was like Christmas all over. An unplanned exchange of gifts that included wrist warmers, snow shovels, wool mitts, choppers, hammoraks, gaiters, homemade wine and soap.....was glorious, dinner of venison steaks, provided by Fronkey,baked potatoe and salad,TZ's wine.................left early in the morn..............breakfast at Tobies, Hinkley...............lunch at the bar, finland..............meet up w/group........hike in set up, the rest is in the video's...........extended trip to Ely, elongated trip through the forest, a long nap on the way home, and my wonderfull wife making beef stew and rum bread pudding for us and again TZ's wine.........was a sweet hang for all.........Big TY for all who attended..............Big TY for all who took part in the optionals, SHT and igloo project............made it exceptional........
    Last edited by stairguy; 01-23-2013 at 16:02.
    " Wiggs "

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Latitude918 View Post
    I love the new avatar, Fronkey!
    Thanks dude.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great video TZ. It really was a lot of fun the short time I was there. I know Tala enjoyed meeting everyone and licking all the pots lying around. I'm looking forward to see you and everyone else at next year's hang.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Spurr View Post
    Looks like you guys had a good time up there..Just curious, how far were you from the parking area to your site..Also noticed you wern't wearing snowshoes so the snow must of been packed down a bit..
    I would guess about a mile walk from the vehicles, time was about 40 minutes or so walk.

On the route we were on a packed snowmobile trail so no snowshoes were needed. When we got near our site turn off the snow was about a foot deep and pretty crusty, post holes were normal without snowshoes. After a few passed down the trail it re froze and was firm for no snowshoe activity.

Moving around camp at first snowshoes were used but after packing and freezing were not needed
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast