GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    For those using sleeping bags with UQs, keep in mind that the enclosed sleeping bag is somewhat subversive to what the UQ offers. In theory, the UQ and TQ are like a sleeping bag with you and the hammock in between. So, if you've got a nice, expensive UQ, definitely drape the sleeping bag so that you're lying directly on the UQ. Otherwise, you're adding another layer, however "crushed" it might be, between you and the efficient insulating properties of the UQ.

Keep in mind that its your body heat that makes these things work. An enclosed sleeping bag is designed to trap that heat, the same heat that is supposed to be making the UQ cozy for you.
    I don't see how this would be an issue. I'd rather keep as much heat as close to me as possible. Besides, if the sleeping bag were insulating enough on the bottom for this to be an issue than you wouldn't need an UQ anyway. That just doesn't make sense. Either the sleeping bag is insulating on the bottom and keeping that heat close to your body, which is good, or it's not and it is a non-issue. This is like the guys that will tell you that wearing clothes in a sleeping bag detracts from the insulative properties...
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    My 30° and 15° down bags weigh 2.4lb and 2.75lb respectively, so it's not like I'm hauling around big old 6lb bags but there is a good 1-2lbs to be saved. Hmmm...still thinking...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I don't see how this would be an issue. I'd rather keep as much heat as close to me as possible. Besides, if the sleeping bag were insulating enough on the bottom for this to be an issue than you wouldn't need an UQ anyway. That just doesn't make sense. Either the sleeping bag is insulating on the bottom and keeping that heat close to your body, which is good, or it's not and it is a non-issue. This is like the guys that will tell you that wearing clothes in a sleeping bag detracts from the insulative properties...
    I have to agree. While that may sound logical, I've never had an issue with my sleeping bags. 30° Marmot + 40°UQ down to 30° no problem at all.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I see you are currently using a pad... Have you tried a under quilt yet?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I see you are currently using a pad... Have you tried a under quilt yet?
    Nope, never even seen one in person.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Don't do it then....You will never be the same.. When you see one....Run away!!!
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    Don't do it then....You will never be the same.. When you see one....Run away!!!
    I know, that's the plan.

I know I'd love it, but I'm sleeping comfortably and warm now in sub-freezing temps... So I'm gonna try to put off any talk of UQs for at least another year. Maybe next Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    For those using sleeping bags with UQs, keep in mind that the enclosed sleeping bag is somewhat subversive to what the UQ offers. In theory, the UQ and TQ are like a sleeping bag with you and the hammock in between. So, if you've got a nice, expensive UQ, definitely drape the sleeping bag so that you're lying directly on the UQ. Otherwise, you're adding another layer, however "crushed" it might be, between you and the efficient insulating properties of the UQ.

Keep in mind that its your body heat that makes these things work. An enclosed sleeping bag is designed to trap that heat, the same heat that is supposed to be making the UQ cozy for you.
    keep in mind that you don't use the sleeping bag as a sleeping bag. You use it as a quilt unzipped and it covers you like a quilt.

This is a good way to use what you have until you can buy a TQ
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    keep in mind that you don't use the sleeping bag as a sleeping bag. You use it as a quilt unzipped and it covers you like a quilt.

This is a good way to use what you have until you can buy a TQ
    I use it as a sleeping bag... I still don't think his concerns are legitimate.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Talk me into a TQ!

Oh yeah!? Well I triple dog dare ya.

• + New Posts