Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Sock material: is M90 worth it?

Planning on getting a sock. I don't *plan* on going below 0* and figure if it's windy or snowing , I'll be using my MacCat Deluxe with 2QZQ doors to block the wind/snow/rain. Is Momentum 90 worth it or should I stick with 1.0 30d Ripstop?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I made a top cover to go with a UQP out of M 90 MR,,its ripstop nylon,,the M 90 T is tafetta and rips easier, and is holding up very well..way light,,and breathable. If you make one,,keep the shiny side out which is more water resistant, and less prone to condensation. Its alittle more expensive than your other materials.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Images
    i'd stay away from anything that is calendared...which reduces the breathability of the fabric/sock

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I've made socks out of Pertex Microlight (which I believe is very similar to M90) and also out of 1.1 oz. ripstop. The Microlight does a better job of passing water vapor to the outside of the fabric, and I expect the M90 would, too.

Acer, most of the humidity that a sock has to deal with comes from the occupant, not from outside. You need the shiny side on the inside. The rougher outer surface has more surface area and lets water evaporate faster.

interesting stuff WV, my question would be about socks in general, seeing as i sleep like a radiator, so i generally dont worry about using a sock. Also, i was worried about condensation, b/c i have slept many times in winter conditions in a hammock. i thought when hammock socks came out they would fail hard... apparently not. if you take your gear out for more than a night or two in winter conditions, you are looking at more water than you ever thought possible, if only there was a way to put that in your water bottle in the winter............

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I've made socks out of Pertex Microlight (which I believe is very similar to M90) and also out of 1.1 oz. ripstop. The Microlight does a better job of passing water vapor to the outside of the fabric, and I expect the M90 would, too.

Acer, most of the humidity that a sock has to deal with comes from the occupant, not from outside. You need the shiny side on the inside. The rougher outer surface has more surface area and lets water evaporate faster.
    keep in mind there's lots of different kinds of 1.1, that's a very generic term that speaks of the weight of the fabric and nothing more. it can be finished a variety of different ways. most of the 1.1 avail to the diy community is calendared on both sides making it the least breathable variety of 1.1

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a sock made out of M90 and it works dang good. I think condensation can be a problem with any material if the conditions are prone to it. That being said, its very wind resistant and makes a huge difference keeping that cold wind off of you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    keep in mind there's lots of different kinds of 1.1, that's a very generic term that speaks of the weight of the fabric and nothing more. it can be finished a variety of different ways. most of the 1.1 avail to the diy community is calendared on both sides making it the least breathable variety of 1.1
    Good point. I used ripstop seconds from DIYgearsupply. To my unprofessional eye, one side of the fabric is slightly shinier than the other, but not much. It's nothing like the difference in the two surfaces of Pertex Microlight or of Momentum 90. The ripstop sock doesn't block breezes quite as well as the Pertex, but it still makes a decent sock, IMO. Similarly, it doesn't pass humidity to the outside quite as well, but it's still serviceable in that regard, making it a fine material for a budget hammock sock.

Warbonnetguy, I've read that the difference in the two surfaces of Pertex and Momentum are products of a special weaving techniques, but I'm not sure whether calendaring is what is meant by that. I thought calendaring was a post-weave process that made the surface shiny. Can you shed any light on that? Just curious.
    Last edited by WV; 01-24-2013 at 21:49.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

Oops,,didn't know,,will have to do some modifying then, Thanks for the suggestion.

I stand corrected,,,I have the shiny side on the inside,,and the rougher surface on the outside. So when I checked it out, didn't need to modify anything. But thanks WV for for correcting my mistake in posting.
    Last edited by Acer; 01-24-2013 at 20:17.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Oops,,didn't know,,will have to do some modifying then, Thanks for the suggestion.
    Or you could turn it inside out...

• + New Posts