DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle

Think I may have....

Messed up. I'm 5'10'' and I have my 1.9oz RS cut to 9 feet. I see many people on the forum using 11 footers.

You think I'll be ok? Or should I just finish it for the wife? She is around 5'7'' or should I start making stuff sacks and buy more fabric.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Messed up. I'm 5'10'' and I have my 1.9oz RS cut to 9 feet. I see many people on the forum using 11 footers.

You think I'll be ok? Or should I just finish it for the wife? She is around 5'7'' or should I start making stuff sacks and buy more fabric.
    I'm 6'1" and the one ~9 footer I tried, a GTUL, was too short for me to get a good diagonal lay... But it is also narrow, so I'm sure that contributed as well. What width did you cut it to?
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I'm 6'1" and the one ~9 footer I tried, a GTUL, was too short for me to get a good diagonal lay... But it is also narrow, so I'm sure that contributed as well. What width did you cut it to?
    It's a 60'' wide RS
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    It's a 60'' wide RS
    My personal opinion is that will be too short/narrow to be comfortable for you... But you won't know until you finish. If it were me I'd go ahead and make it and figure it will be a learning experience and worst case scenario it becomes a napping hammock, and not an overnighter. There's a good chance your wife will be fine with it also.

I slept in the GTUL a handful of nights and the sleep was OK. It wasn't until I moved up to something longer/wider that I realized what I was missing...

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    My personal opinion is that will be too short/narrow to be comfortable for you... But you won't know until you finish. If it were me I'd go ahead and make it and figure it will be a learning experience and worst case scenario it becomes a napping hammock, and not an overnighter. There's a good chance your wife will be fine with it also.

I slept in the GTUL a handful of nights and the sleep was OK. It wasn't until I moved up to something longer/wider that I realized what I was missing...
    Thank you. I'll make it and give it a try. This will my first go around at making any kind of gear so yes this all is a learning experience. Haha just have to wait on my gutermann to get here.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Thank you. I'll make it and give it a try. This will my first go around at making any kind of gear so yes this all is a learning experience. Haha just have to wait on my gutermann to get here.
    Well the quote in your signature couldn't fit the situation any better!

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Well the quote in your signature couldn't fit the situation any better!
    Haha you're telling me! I'll let ya know how it turns out. Thanks again.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    It's not a bad size no and a number of member do use shorter hammocks. I enjoy them still but being around your height, I enjoy my 11 footer much more.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    You can most definitely sleep in one, but it won't be as comfortable as a longer hammock. 'S okay...most of my DIY stuff goes through at least two prototypes before I'm happy with it, sometimes three or four iterations...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    When you put the end hems in use as narrow a hem as you can get away with. In the range of 1/2" rolled hem. You will lose only about 4" total to the length as opposed to 9 - 12" total for sewn channel ends. That will give you some increased length. Larkshead your suspension links to the hammock gathers on the outside. The hem will bunch and serve as a stop ridge to keep the suspension from sliding off.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast