DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    Given your size, I'd suggest going with the Explorer. I am about 5' 10" 175lbs and my expedition feels just a little bit cramped. I still use it since I have a decent amount of mod's (money) put into it, but wish I had gotten the explorer for that extra room to stretch out.

I do like that my bugnet is always with me on my HH. Seems like there are always bugs out in the evenings when/where I camp... and when there aren't bugs out, the net holds a little bit of heat in to help keep me warm.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    There is an HH Explorer with the 2QZQ #4 zipper mod in the for sale thread. It is a very good price. See the post by DoctorUSA.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks everyone! Can't believe how active this forum is.

Daytime lounging sounds like a great plus but my primary desire is just someplace comfortable to sleep at night out of the elements.

Sounds like I should check out the Doctor's hammock...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have an HH Expedition Zip, but I don't use it much anymore for a couple of reasons:

1) It's reasonably comfortable, but is not in the same comfort class as a 10 to 11 ft. hammock. Not even close.
    2) I despise built-in bugnets - makes me feel like a prisoner zipped up in there. You wanna get out of your hammock fast because of a leg cramp, a bladder about to burst, or an approaching critter? An independent bottom-entry, or TED-style bugnet, is a much easier escape.
    3) I do most of my camping in non-mosquito weather. It drives me nuts carrying a bugnet when there are no bugs.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    First off, I am a complete newbie to hammocks beyond the cheap one I have in the backyard...

Right now I am a day hiker looking to expand my horizons by doing a couple of one or two night overnights in places like the AT in Virginia (where I am from) when the weather is warmer (evening temps 50+) and traveling very light (hopefully fitting everything into a GoLite 35L Jam Pack). Ideally I would get a relatively cheap, light, package that has everything in it that a newbie like me needs to start hanging (minus insulation I guess). From the research I have done online it looks like the Expedition Asym Zip is a good choice.

Is this a relatively safe choice for someone like myself who is just getting started out?

Thanks!
    Craig
    Id probably go with the Explorer Deluxe instead of the Expedition. The extra length will give someone with your height, a bit more comfort. You will be able to achieve a flatter lay with the larger hammock. I went with my HH for my first and I am still using it. I dont have nearly the experience as many of the other members have here but I am pretty happy so far.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well now I am thinking if I get an HH it will be the Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip.

I probably need to spend quite a bit more time doing research on comparable models out there on the market though. I don't really have a looming deadline as the weather isn't going to be warm enough (for me) until May at the earliest unless I start further south.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    LOL, spending way too much time researching this right now... found the Northwoods Wolf Hammock (http://northwoodshammock.com/?wpsc-product=bear-hammock) which looks promising at 20.5 ounces with a bug net (but no tarp). A good price too although I would need to figure out what to do for a tarp but that should be fairly easy (famous last words and all) right?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Wolf

LOL, spending way too much time researching this right now... found the Northwoods Wolf Hammock (http://northwoodshammock.com/?wpsc-product=bear-hammock) which looks promising at 20.5 ounces with a bug net (but no tarp). A good price too although I would need to figure out what to do for a tarp but that should be fairly easy (famous last words and all) right?
    Haven't seen that one before, looks like a real good setup, especially for that price. A decent size tarp runs around 10-15 oz and about $90-120. Another $25-50 for ridgeline and tie out packages, and stakes. My 3 favorite places to "look" are Warbonnet, Wilderness Logistics, and Arrowhead Equip., but there are others... most are listed in the Forum section for vendors.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Well, being a bit compulsive I went ahead and bought the Wolf Hammock last night after emailing with Tom at Northwoods...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Well, being a bit compulsive I went ahead and bought the Wolf Hammock last night after emailing with Tom at Northwoods...
    Looks nice, they appear to be a brand new company. I don't see any tarps on their site. What did you decide to do for a tarp?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast