Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Thinking about buying an Expedition Asym Zip

First off, I am a complete newbie to hammocks beyond the cheap one I have in the backyard...

Right now I am a day hiker looking to expand my horizons by doing a couple of one or two night overnights in places like the AT in Virginia (where I am from) when the weather is warmer (evening temps 50+) and traveling very light (hopefully fitting everything into a GoLite 35L Jam Pack). Ideally I would get a relatively cheap, light, package that has everything in it that a newbie like me needs to start hanging (minus insulation I guess). From the research I have done online it looks like the Expedition Asym Zip is a good choice.

Is this a relatively safe choice for someone like myself who is just getting started out?

Thanks!
    Craig

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Well...for something as light as possible, that's pre-made, you may want to look at the ButtInASling (BIAS) Weight Weenie Micro. It's the lightest hammock I know of (~11 oz without net for the stock set up, ~20 oz with the Buginator standard net or ~18 oz with the Buginator Nano) that has the comfort of an eleven-foot-long body. For trips where temperatures are below 50* for the low, you can leave the bug net at home. However, for summer trips, you might want to look into adding their bug net (it's an option on that page).

It'll also come out to be about the same cost as an Hennessy or slightly less, but will weigh in much lighter on trips where you don't need the netting.

If your budget doesn't reach to an underquilt just yet, I'd spring for the double layer mod, to slip a pad in between the layers and make it more comfortable and easier to use (note that this will increase the weight by about 5 oz).

If you're DIY-capable, making an hammock is one of the easier projects out there. You'll still probably come in at about the same weight as the WWM if you use the same materials and dimensions, but if you're set on the lightest hammock possible, there are a number of threads here that might be worth looking at.

Actually, that's a very good point: how tall are you and what do you weigh? That'll help determine what length hammock you want, and what fabrics it can be made of.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Images
    Welcome to the forums.

I am completely satisfied with my Hennessy. In fact I have 2 of them now, the original bottom entry and a zip. If you are close to 6' tall, or taller, I would recomend the Explorer rather than the Expedition. I am 6'1 and tested my brother's Expedition. I could have slept in it, but I would not have been as comfortable as in the larger Explorer.

The stock tarp is small, but they do work. I have spent a few rainy nights under one.

If you can get to a group hang near you to check out your options, you will not have any trouble getting people to show off their set up.

Ragnall

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I to have an Expedition classic. I have enjoyed it but not my favourite. The larger Explorer i would recommend in the Hennessy line. Seems you are at a point where you can research a little, spend a bit more and buy once (many do after an all in one purchase) or possibly go with a used hammock to get a better idea of what you like.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I guess I should have mentioned I am 6' and fluctuate between 170 and 180 depending on the time of year and whether or not I am sticking to my exercise routine (as opposed to right now when I am mostly sitting around watching TV).

I am not very handy when it comes to things like sewing so don't plan on much in the way of DIY. I would prefere something that out of the box/bag can be hung up and used. Bugs will definitely be a factor so netting seems like a must have. Packing size is probably more important than a few ounces here or there as long as total pack weight isn't much more than 15lbs for an overnighter (with everything in it as I tend to over pack).

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    The HHs are about the only ones where the tarp is fool proof. There are clips on the rope lines that slide on a prussik, no separate rigging system for a tarp - that and the fact that the price includes the tarp does make it a great initial setup.

However, there are more modular options which are around the same cost total, but probably a better overall setup. Especially in terms of the hammock suspension, which uses the old lash to straps method which can be very tedious in making adjustments - something as a noob that you will certainly be doing. And HH is also not the lightest of setups.

Have you checked out Warbonnet and some of the other hammock makers?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm 6'0 around 203 pounds. I have the Expedition classic also. I really like it and I sleep in it just fine but I would like a little longer hammock. I feel like I'm too close to the ends. Maybe just a character fault on my part.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I have the HH Expedition and am totally happy with it. I have tweaked the suspension a bit to use biners instead of lashing and sometimes use a bigger tarp (depending on what Mother Nature is doing) but that's about it. I like the fact that the bug net is attached and it all fits together so nicely into a package not much larger than a loaf of bread. Keep in mind though, I'm not hiking with it, I'm kayaking. I used to have the bottom entry, and liked it too, but had issues with my hair getting caught in the velcro.
    Debi

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I'd try a bottom entry before I bought a side zip.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

material

Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    I guess I should have mentioned I am 6' and fluctuate between 170 and 180....
    Just saw this... you probably want a longer hammock like the HH Explorer, and you can get by with lighter material, like the Explorer UL. That was my first one, the classic.

Let me ask, would you want a "shelter" on a dayhike, or just a hammock. Seems a shame to take a total pkg type of hammock on a dayhike when you might just want something light to lounge in. A more modular hammock setup might suit you better for going in between dayhikes and overnites, although if you don't mind hauling the whole package for the dayhike, then I suppose that's easier in some ways.

And there are plenty of net options, too, so keep that in mind when deciding on a hammock. Don't not include the BIAS hammocks (and others) just because they don't have a built-in net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast