Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Re: Hypothermia

Billybob--
    I think you got it right--plan to be wet. The next time I'm in that scenario I will avoid walking in the rain if possible, and will not skimp on extra base layers. I'd also try to hike more slowly to reduce condensation build-up. I have energy chews with caffeine in my pack. I'd also try to be more realistic--it's ok to hole up and not hike in those conditions.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    My opinion, I don't think I got wet,,, much,, from the outside. I was hot till after crossing the bridge before the shelter (about 1 mile AT south of the Wise) & I'm about 80% sure that is what got ME soaked.
    But, as I was wet, doesn't matter how any of us got wet, we WERE wet, I started to chill during that last "Pitch" to the shelter, & once we stopped I got very cold very fast. At that point, I didn't have the mental or manual dexterity to find the snacks (easy to eat food) in my bag, so no fuel to warm up.
    Seems to me, that we came up with excellent ideas to combat the cold should this happen again. In addition to the group staying together: we now have between us stuff I will now add that to my winter gear.:
    (WV) Easy to light Esbit tabs for external warmth.
    (Bonsai) Energy chews with caffeine.
    (Doctari) An EASY to find stuff sack attached to my food bag JUST for high energy snacks!

A reminder: I have had "bad" Hypothermia 3 times#, the first time below 45 was on this trip! Last 2 times, I made the mistake "Oh, I've had Hypothermia before, I know what to look for & how to stop it!"
    I WAS WRONG!
    Had WV & Bonsai not been there, I don't know what would have happened, but I suspect (I FELT fine after all, just a bit cold!) I would have set up camp & , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

#coldest temps each time: 52, 48 & about 30, every time it was raining almost the entire hike.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    My opinion, I don't think I got wet,,, much,, from the outside. I was hot till after crossing the bridge before the shelter (about 1 mile AT south of the Wise) & I'm about 80% sure that is what got ME soaked.
    But, as I was wet, doesn't matter how any of us got wet, we WERE wet, I started to chill during that last "Pitch" to the shelter, & once we stopped I got very cold very fast. At that point, I didn't have the mental or manual dexterity to find the snacks (easy to eat food) in my bag, so no fuel to warm up.
    Seems to me, that we came up with excellent ideas to combat the cold should this happen again. In addition to the group staying together: we now have between us stuff I will now add that to my winter gear.:
    (WV) Easy to light Esbit tabs for external warmth.
    (Bonsai) Energy chews with caffeine.
    (Doctari) An EASY to find stuff sack attached to my food bag JUST for high energy snacks!

A reminder: I have had "bad" Hypothermia 3 times#, the first time below 45 was on this trip! Last 2 times, I made the mistake "Oh, I've had Hypothermia before, I know what to look for & how to stop it!"
    I WAS WRONG!
    Had WV & Bonsai not been there, I don't know what would have happened, but I suspect (I FELT fine after all, just a bit cold!) I would have set up camp & , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

#coldest temps each time: 52, 48 & about 30, every time it was raining almost the entire hike.
    Welcome back Doctari
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Re: Hypothermia

Well, I'll be. ..

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Welcome back Doctari
    I can't say it better... Doctari, glad to have your expertise back especially with the cold season upon us.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Donna here...
    Doctari...seeing your post this morning...had me smiling...welcome back!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    My brush with Hypothermia came with my IBA ride. Starting out in the morning with temps predicted in the upper 90's I was wearing blue jeans, t shirt and leather jacket. It was sweaty across the planes, comfortable on the top of PikesPeak, continuing on my 1000 mile route took me through Eisenhower tunnel and then between the mountains on the way to Leadville. I noticed the breeze coming down the mountains from the still present snow cap was pretty cold but I was busy navigating including the 3 hours I spent with my GPS saying I was 1 hour away from my next waypoint. I finally reached my 1000 mile point, got my signature and continued on to my chosen rest point. Thoughts drifting lazily along I contemplated continuing. Only a couple hours till the sun came up and started warming me up. I shuddered a bit and it confused me. I remembered I'd done that a bit ago, HAD been doing that for a while. Couldn't figure out why. It must be easily 60 degrees out here. And I was on a motorcycle doing 70 mph and had been for about 24 hours, fed and watered but immobile in my light summer wear. I shuddered again and pulled off at a convenience store parking lot. Pulled out my rainpants which cover all the way up to my chest and allow now wind through. Got back on the bike and in 5 minutes I was warm AND could not stay awake. 45 minutes later I got to my rest point where I was supposed to stay at a KOA. I went up and down the road three times and couldn't find the KOA but there was an Econolodge so I bit the bullet and pulled in there. Hot shower, under the covers, blanket, in my sleeping bag I stopped shivering and fell asleep.
    Leaving in the morning, directly across the street from the Econolodge was the KOA.

Made my 1500 mile destination with 7 minutes to spare.

Hypothermia, it sneaks up on ya.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl &amp; XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ &amp; Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti &amp; 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images

Welcome Back

Doctari, We NEED your expertise. Please "hang" with HF.

I learned a lot from your posting experiences, and appreciate your efforts informing us. Especially Mount Rogers hang out. I have done similar stuff in Northern WI and the UP of Mich. Your postings explained a lot.

Images
    Here is a very interesting article about a rainy and cold August hike:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.UpdF6eL0eMQ

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Here is a very interesting article about a rainy and cold August hike:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...l#.UpdF6eL0eMQ
    Thanks for that link. Good article and also leads to more interesting reading.

Links to articles like that one, and to this thread, should be automatically added to any discussion where folks get to boasting about how light their packs are!
    Leaving that extra 'stuff' like warmer clothes, etc. at home is an accident waiting to happen, anywhere it can get cool and wet.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast