Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images

first splice .....ahhhhh

So the other day I in the mail I received my January Christmas. So today after chores and din din I set about making a continue ridge line for my winter tarp. Not sure what line I used its gray ant really small. Works great with my Dutch hook. Found a great set of picks on this forum that explained how to splice amsteel and a post said use the same splice for zing it. So i went to work. I used a needle to thread my blunt line, first issue. The only needle I could find that I could thread was an apolstry needle with a spade tip. Long story short I have a great ridge line for my tarp just like the one Derek shows in his vids and in the ultimate hang. One Dutch hook one tarp flies and 25 feet of tiny grey line. It was very frustrating punching that needle through there but its done. Want to thank all of you for helping me in one way or another. Sorry no picks the last time nearly killed me.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Congratulations! Splicing is its own addiction. Soon you'll be looking around for something that needs a continuous loop, or a soft shackle etc.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Pad and Bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Me Too!

Made my first whoopiesling yesterday. A lot easier than I ever expected.

I agree, this is all addictive. I sat there looking at the amsteel I had left over and wanted something to make... there has to be something. Soft Shackles! that's the ticket!

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Taking sugestions on the best or a good tool to use for pulling the line threw the berry ?

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Awesome! I remember my first splice...I thought it was gonna be so annoying...and it was. Once you find the tools/needles/FID that is right for you, it gets so much easier. (AND FUN!) After a few splices, you will be unstoppable. I have gotten to where I only use 1 tool for amsteel/zingit/dynaglyde and i really do not HAVE to taper anything...although i do sometimes with the zingit, just to make it easier. It is all downhill from here!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler,yukon & home brew
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge and woob
    Suspension
    straps / whoopies
    I am having fun with the splicing. I will say though ( as a noobie to it ) the taper is everything for me. If I don't, I fight & fight with it. I thought I had some decent scissors for the task but found everything I had were inadequate. The dyneema fibers are mighty tough. I did buy a pair of Gerber fishing line scissors & they rock, designed to cut braided line. Makes the taper a lot easier for me anyway.
    Those scissors are overpriced for what they are but I found a place on the web called HR Knives and the pair was only like $1.97 and they shipped quickly too.

From what I read on HF, it sounds like most don't experience the problem with dull cutting utensils that I do

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyavmc View Post
    Taking sugestions on the best or a good tool to use for pulling the line threw the berry ?
    A piece of wire folded in half or a Dritz Loop Turner for Dynaglide and Amsteel. For the smaller stuff like Zing It, use a wire folded in half.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35749

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66207

Quote Originally Posted by kc0qnx View Post
    ...From what I read on HF, it sounds like most don't experience the problem with dull cutting utensils that I do
    It's not so much that the fibers are so strong as it is that the fibers are so thin that they can fold over in scissors. Many of us prefer a very sharp knife used on a wood cutting block.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyavmc View Post
    This is what I use, but it is just a strong piece of wire essentially...

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...10051_25669_-1

You get that and 45 ft of shock cord too. for $4

Just straighten out the coiled up wire, then bend it in the middle and start twisting the wire to make a needle "eye" at the end. I usually finish it off by attaching a key shain loop on the opposite side, to give me a good place to pull....I will take a photo in a minute.

You just have to get the middle bend right for the cord that you are spicing. Notice the difference in the "eyes" for the one I use for amsteel and the ones that I use for lash it. You just have to experiment to get it right. If you get it right, you can just one tool to open up the cord and to do all your buries. I also make tic marks on the tool, so that I do not need a measuring tape every time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by halfastronomical; 01-25-2013 at 21:36. Reason: added photos
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    night owl
    Tarp
    diy big blue tarp
    Insulation
    diy JCP jacket uq,
    Suspension
    woooooopieee
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    This is what I use, but it is just a strong piece of wire essentially...

You just have to get the middle bend right for the cord that you are spicing. Notice the difference in the "eyes" for the one I use for amsteel and the ones that I use for lash it. You just have to experiment to get it right. If you get it right, you can just one tool to open up the cord and to do all your buries. I also make tic marks on the tool, so that I do not need a measuring tape every time.
    thanks for the pic that is very helpful. i belive i have some tiny stainles steel wire in the barn. I PLEGE TO MASTER THIS SKILL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    A piece of wire folded in half or a Dritz Loop Turner for Dynaglide and Amsteel. For the smaller stuff like Zing It, use a wire folded in half.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35749

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66207

It's not so much that the fibers are so strong as it is that the fibers are so thin that they can fold over in scissors. Many of us prefer a very sharp knife used on a wood cutting block.

FUNNY! I have never seen a loop turner, but my little tool thingy looks like I copied it...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast