Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenle01 View Post
    Are the removable insulation layers sewn to a carrier scrim or nylon? Do you have to turn the uq inside out every time you want to change the layering? How do you keep the insulation from shifting? Sorry for jumping in on your thread Heber.

it's climashield continuous filament, so there's no scrim, there is one layer sewn to the quilt along the perimeter only, then the other layers are quilt looped (along the perimeter) to the permanent one. step each successive layer in a little each time(by about the thickness of the layer) to keep from compressing them.

make sure to put the zipper on the outer layer, or at least so you can "stack" layers under the permanent one rather than between the parmanent one and the hammock which would also compress them, you want them to hang below.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    it's climashield continuous filament, so there's no scrim, there is one layer sewn to the quilt along the perimeter only, then the other layers are quilt looped (along the perimeter) to the permanent one. step each successive layer in a little each time(by about the thickness of the layer) to keep from compressing them.

make sure to put the zipper on the outer layer, or at least so you can "stack" layers under the permanent one rather than between the parmanent one and the hammock which would also compress them, you want them to hang below.
    When you add or remove layers are you re-quilting through the same thread holes? or just quilting in a new area? I thought about adding some small grommets to the quilting points so I wouldn't have a ton of holes in the fabric. Maybe just use a small soldering iron tip to melt the edges of the holes. I guess I'm just worried about the ripstop coming apart.

Thank's for the info on the zipper. I was wondering where to put it.

When you add or remove layers are you re-quilting through the same thread holes? or just quilting in a new area? I thought about adding some small grommets to the quilting points so I wouldn't have a ton of holes in the fabric. Maybe just use a small soldering iron tip to melt the edges of the holes. I guess I'm just worried about the ripstop coming apart.

Thank's for the info on the zipper. I was wondering where to put it.
    You are not running a needle through the shell when you add or remove layers, just looping a thread through the climashield layer you are adding, and into the layer below it. You are just stabilizing the edge of the batt.

I just obtained a Warbonnet synthetic UQ. The HF member who sold it to me sent it with the extra layers loose. I've quilt looped a second layer back into the UQ as per Brandon's instructions. I plan to try just installing the third layer loose and see how that works.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    SuperFly or CCS
    Insulation
    Yeti or DIY KAQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    You are not running a needle through the shell when you add or remove layers, just looping a thread through the climashield layer you are adding, and into the layer below it. You are just stabilizing the edge of the batt.

I just obtained a Warbonnet synthetic UQ. The HF member who sold it to me sent it with the extra layers loose. I've quilt looped a second layer back into the UQ as per Brandon's instructions. I plan to try just installing the third layer loose and see how that works.
    Yeah, that makes sense. What the heck was I thinking!

Images
    [QUOTE
    I just obtained a Warbonnet synthetic UQ. The HF member who sold it to me sent it with the extra layers loose. I've quilt looped a second layer back into the UQ as per Brandon's instructions. I plan to try just installing the third layer loose and see how that works.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that's right, don't put any loops through the shell, just through the already attached insul, and just around the perimeter.

what do you mean loose? like just laying it in there and not attaching it at all? i think that would leave some air gap between the loose layer and the other quilted layer. if the shell was just the right size there would be no extra room, but i think i cut them a little big so there would be room for at least 4 if not 5.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    [QUOTE
    yeah, that's right, don't put any loops through the shell, just through the already attached insul, and just around the perimeter.

what do you mean loose? like just laying it in there and not attaching it at all? i think that would leave some air gap between the loose layer and the other quilted layer. if the shell was just the right size there would be no extra room, but i think i cut them a little big so there would be room for at least 4 if not 5.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up Brandon, I'll try it loose and post back. I didn't think about the lower batt sagging. It is finally getting cold enough here in GA to do some proper testing.

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Heber, You are not alone. I recently made a KAQ for my HH out of 5oz climashield and found it kinda chilly on the backside @ 25*. I'm thinking about adding a layer of 1.8oz primaloft sport. I used speers 1.9oz ripstop thinking it would have more wind resistance and trap more heat in. What fabric did you use (1.1, 1.9)? Does anybody know if a different weight fabric really makes a difference in temp rating?
    The KAQ links I have found seem to be broken.. does anyone have a working link to plans or instructions?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by k5bpc View Post
    The KAQ links I have found seem to be broken.. does anyone have a working link to plans or instructions?

Thanks!
    Arrowhead Equipment: http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by k5bpc View Post

Thanks!
    you can find it HERE

Hammock
    Dutchware / Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The first link does not work, but the second does.

Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123