Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    I just re-read this and realized my botany Freudian slip. Acer=Maple...I don't know how that happened.
    I took it for wit - thought it was pretty neat. I also like your screen name, but am careful if I shorten it to use one syllable, not two.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sorry if I came across in a rude way

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I took it for wit - thought it was pretty neat. I also like your screen name, but am careful if I shorten it to use one syllable, not two.
    No wit here...

I answer to how ever many syllables that I deserve on that particular day.

...today could be considered a 2 syllable day.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Sorry if I came across in a rude way
    No worries!

Bear hugs for everybody!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

We REALLY need to stop stalking these guys.... They might decide to get a restraining order! lol kidding
    Charles

Quest Velomobile QB005

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    To sum this all up..our cottage makers are small, family run operations. They don't have a secretary (I have 4) or a receptionist (I have one) to screen their calls or emails. I can tell mine to shove all the calls when I want to voicemail,,but due to smart phone, keep getting the emails 24/7 even tho I answer everything when I get time. They don't pack a laptop everywhere either (like I have to do). And they do the best they can in the time frame allowed them, working in private life times for their familys. Their workmanship is super high quality one piece at a time made of which you won't get in mass production. Sometimes, stuff falls thru the cracks. Even so, when you watch the "For Sale" forum,,you see alot of stuff being sold by members, cause it didn't work out for them, or wasn't what they wanted and are always looking for improvements or that special piece of gear that fits their particular needs. It just happens. We all know that and even so, we all can get alittle agrivated in the wait, or lack of response, or what ever sets us off alittle. Just happens,,,and its good we all recognize it and work it all out in the end. Of course,,sometimes that also just doesn't happen the way we want it to, and so we find a different cottage maker to fill our needs. The forum also provides us that as well. Final analysis,,enjoy your hangs, and happy backpacking.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    To sum this all up..our cottage makers are small, family run operations. They don't have a secretary (I have 4) or a receptionist (I have one) to screen their calls or emails. I can tell mine to shove all the calls when I want to voicemail,,but due to smart phone, keep getting the emails 24/7 even tho I answer everything when I get time. They don't pack a laptop everywhere either (like I have to do). And they do the best they can in the time frame allowed them, working in private life times for their familys. Their workmanship is super high quality one piece at a time made of which you won't get in mass production. Sometimes, stuff falls thru the cracks. Even so, when you watch the "For Sale" forum,,you see alot of stuff being sold by members, cause it didn't work out for them, or wasn't what they wanted and are always looking for improvements or that special piece of gear that fits their particular needs. It just happens. We all know that and even so, we all can get alittle agrivated in the wait, or lack of response, or what ever sets us off alittle. Just happens,,,and its good we all recognize it and work it all out in the end. Of course,,sometimes that also just doesn't happen the way we want it to, and so we find a different cottage maker to fill our needs. The forum also provides us that as well. Final analysis,,enjoy your hangs, and happy backpacking.
    Well said. I think that Acer just turned out the lights on this thread. G'nite Johnboy...

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7 Dl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Ozark
    Suspension
    ADJ webbing
    Images
    Having read all of this thread I can see both sides. And I will now insert this tidbit here. I am in the market for a new underquilt. I am in my study the products to death phase and had almost come to a choice of a different vendor. After reading this thread with both good and bad I think my mind has been changed to one from Hammock Gear. Thanks for the input both ways guys and now to go and study their website to death to make sure I am correct.
    Where ever you go,
    There you are.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by halfastronomical View Post
    HAMMOCK GEAR regulars and friends, please read this objectively, as it is a true representation of my experience with Hammock Gear. It is not a slam, it is an honest account of my dealings with them. I am even leaving out the "dramatic" parts. Just facts

My $800+ HG Order experience:

Out of my 30 or so emails in now over 2 months, I have been replied to maybe 3 times. Out of 2 phone calls, I had no answers, and I was promised several calls that never came... I posted 1 complaint on HF and I got an IMMEDIATE reply from Thorwren. After I sent private messages, AGAIN, I got no reply. That leads me to believe that the best way to get their attention is posting in HF. If they would address this privately, I would not be posting this here.

A lot of my questions were really important and had to do with different fabrics being used. The problem is: I got my order before they even replied to me, and NEVER did they even acknowledge or answer the questions that I had about my fabric choice.

In the end, I was trying to help them with the communication problems and I tried to see what I could do to ease the communication issue and tell them that I forgive them, but none of those emails or messages were answered either.

If I were them I would fix it before they start losing customers, as I am seeing that I am not the only one with a bad experience lately.

TO THEIR CREDIT:

They sent me TWO DOWN PILLOWS for free, because I had so much trouble....which I thanked them for and told them that I forgive them, etc....still no reply from the 5 or so emails that I sent after that.

Then they gave me a 20% discount, which was really cool! I thanked them for that and have still heard nothing.

They shipped my order faster than most people have reported.

Their gear is REALLY WELL MADE and WARM!

MY POINT: Adam and Jenny have a resolvable problem, that is not being resolved. They seem like great guys and their gear is outstanding quality. I just fear that their rep may be tarnished by the unprecedented sales that they had and their slow to non-existing communication as of late. I am not trying to slam them at all, and i may even order from them again.

I just do not want them to forget the reason that a lot of people use cottage vendors...they are accessible and knowledgeable, along with making top notch gear. IT IS NOT ONLY THE GEAR.

I hope that their loyal defenders do not hate me too bad for posting this, but I assure you that it is all true and you can ask them if you want. I told them I would be posting this, and they said that they did not blame me. I REALLY hope that this leads to helping with the communication problem, and I am sorry that I have to be negative in such a positive forum.
    I can attest to the fact that not only do they seem like great people....that they are great people. As are their 4 kids. Been my good fortune to spend time on the trail and spend some time off-trail with them all. Honest and loyal and working very hard to please everyone.....which is impossible to do but I know they strive too.

There are not to many places that cater to the hammock hanger out there in regards to our specialized insulation needs. Most that serve the hammock community are on this Forum.
    Ask a lot of past customers and I know many have spent time on the phone with Adam asking about temperature ratings for a UQ or TQ in their particular climate zone. Having had the pleasure to hike and backpack with Adam I've heard folks ask in person "Is it better for me to have a 20º UQ with overstuff or just go with a 0º UG and vent?" And other similar questions from hangers and I have watched him spend a lot of time answering all their queries.
    Adam will answer that question in depth as many customers are new to hammocks so they are also new to the somewhat bewildering world of hammock insulation. He educates. That takes time from his production but he also truly wants a customer to be satisfied.
    The more they are on the phone and answering emails the less sewing and packaging and designing and mailing out gets done.
    I know they do a lot of custom orders and that is a time consumer.
    Yeah.....I am defending them. None of us are perfect at everything.
    Shug

Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I concur Acer 100%
    Last edited by Shug; 01-26-2013 at 13:57.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Well said Shug, well said.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast