WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images

Extra Padding Needed On Shoulder Straps...

I have an Osprey Exos 58 and I'm looking to add some extra padding to the shoulder straps...Any ideas???...Thanks

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If you're a DIYer, carpet scraps or samples can be cut into shoulder pads. I'm not sure how they'd fit the Osprey straps, but it's always worth trying to improve the gear you have. On the other hand, I carried 40 lbs in my Aarn Natural Balance last week, and none of the load was on my shoulders.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    On the other hand, I carried 40 lbs in my Aarn Natural Balance last week, and none of the load was on my shoulders.
    +1

With a properly fitted bag the tops of your shoulders should barely be even touching the straps, if at all. The shoulder straps simply hold the bag upright, the weight should be on the belt.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    +1

With a properly fitted bag the tops of your shoulders should barely be even touching the straps, if at all. The shoulder straps simply hold the bag upright, the weight should be on the belt.
    I was never able to accomplish this, not even close.

It must be my body type because I've tried everything. But just a little extra padding can go a long way. My Kelty Coyote is comfortable, but the Osprey Atmos can make me a little sore.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post

It must be my body type because I've tried everything. But just a little extra padding can go a long way. My Kelty Coyote is comfortable, but the Osprey Atmos can make me a little sore.
    Funny you say that; I use a Coyote as well. I find I have to tension the load lifters every few hours, but by doing that I can keep the straps off my shoulders at all times.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    Funny you say that; I use a Coyote as well. I find I have to tension the load lifters every few hours, but by doing that I can keep the straps off my shoulders at all times.
    Very cool! I purchased mine in 2005 when I had no clue about backpacking but turned out to be my goto pack since. Even though there is so much talk about going light, I still love this pack.

I put it away and have been using my Atmos since last September to cut weight and bulk, but always miss the Coyote. I think the massive hip belt contributes most to the comfort.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post

I had 36lbs in mine and after 8 miles I needed to put on an extra shirt...It was just enough padding that I didn't notice it the rest of the trip (32 miles)...

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've seen people use the padding you find with seat belts (looks like a seatbelt cover).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

load off shoulders

Me neither. I've only found it possible with an Aarn pack that has aluminum stays in the backpack and in the front balance pockets that transfer the weight to the hipbelt. However using an Aarn requires a different style of packing and adjusting that's not for everybody. I probably shouldn't have added this to my reply, because it sidetracks the discussion a bit. I think the OP wanted to make his shoulders feel better with the pack he has. Extra cushioning might help, and adjusting with load lifters and hipbelt tension might help some.

I've used a PM to you to avoid further digressions in the thread, but I mostly agree with you.
    -------
    Ooops! I meant to use a PM, but didn't. Everybody but Markr6, please ignore this post.

• + New Posts