Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    So what preceded that twenty minutes that may have helped the wind rob you of warmth? Was it the late start, fatigue, or maybe some part of your gear that wasn't warm enough? Reading about the weather up there made me realize I may not have boots warm enough for a RHK hike.
    The forecast called for low twenties. I had gear that would handle about ten degrees below that. With the windchill the temperature was more in the range of -14 to -30. Combine that with a shelter too full to utilize to do any chores out of the elements, and you're exposed to those conditions for about 14 hours.
    Had I packed for 0 instead of 20, I would have had gear good to -10 instead of 10. The catch is that you have to carry that gear.

Perhaps the underlying moral to the story is that elevation forecasts are not very accurate. When making a three hour drive to get a to a winter backpacking trip, bring alternate layers and insulation to repack before starting. Another extra level of safety would be assuming that the shelter would be all but inaccessible. The problem with all of those levels of safety is that they add weight and take up space. Eventually you will be so safe that you cannot carry all of your safety in one trip

My guess is that the best compromise would have been to take an extra top and bottom layer than what I did haul in. That probably would have been enough to have avoided most of the issues.

As far as footwear goes, the Neos overboots that I had were more than enough to make the trail runners I wore under them warm. They provided insulation, waterproof, traction and a larger footprint that provided some flotation on deeper snow.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Sounds like you all had quite the time up on RHK. And just reading the stories and watching the video gives me chills, still I hope to one day be able to join you folks up there, afterall I got myself a birthday coming up in less than a week and this would be awesome way to celebrate.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    I wonder if climbing into the hammock (as tempting as that sounds) at 7:00 in the evening is the best idea when you're cold. Maybe a walk around camp to generate some metabolic body heat would be better. I've always wondered that because I often read members here saying, "I was cold, so I crawled into my hammock..."

Glad everyone lived to hang another day!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    That would pretty much be SOP. As we were already walking around in the elements getting cold. Getting out of the elements is about all one can do to address getting more cold. I believe it was closer to 9:30 that we began retiring. The later arrivals got to bed closer to 2:30.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good info. Thanks for posting. I think I'd try to avoid late starts like that, too.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Good info. Thanks for posting. I think I'd try to avoid late starts like that, too.
    Having done my share of night hiking, I don't believe that was a contributor. If we had arrived two hours earlier, we would have had two more hours of being in the elements. Everyone got up shortly after daybreak. Had we retired proportionately to our arrival time, that could have put us in a hammock for close to twelve hours or we would have gotten up a couple of hours before daylight.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    You're onto something there Wisenbur, Wind chill is a measure of degree that's not always taken into account. Especially on the Roan! No matter what time of year its gonna be windy up there and much more so than anywhere else. I'd like to see some gear lists from everyone, including clothing with level of comfort. And if any, what you might change.
    Last edited by L.D. Cakes; 02-11-2013 at 08:33.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    You're onto something there Wisenbur, Wind chill is a measure of degree that's not always taken into account. Especially on the Roan! No matter what time of year its gonna be windy up there and much more so than anywhere else. I'd like to see some gear lists from everyone, including clothing.
    Frankly, everyone but me had enough insulation. Roche was a bit short, but he borrowed a 5/50 from Hangnout to augment his Phoenix.
    I had a 20* Peapod, WB sock, BPL summer TQ and a JRB 26X40 pad. The sock did prevent me from dialing in my pod as well as I normally can. It's just not as easy to adjust the taughtness and shift the down in the channels with the sock being in the way.
    I probably would have been fine if I had used my windpants and brought a thicker sweater.

One thing that I did note was that the zipper on the WB sock can be quite a challenge to work with cold fingers and having it ice over from condensation. The sock DID add quite a bit of warmth though. Several time over the course of the night I unzipped about a ten inch opening to let the vapor escape. Every time I did that, I could feel the colder outside air gush in even though I was facing away from the wind. Without the sock, my 20* pod wouldn't have stood a chance at keeping me warm enough. With the sock, my 20* pod wasn't toasty in the single digits, but it was bearable.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I was looking around a bit today for some possible options if one were to be in a spot like I was without the tremendous aid of having other around. That's when I found these.

If I were to find myself in a situation that I could not light a stove and needed a hot beverage to recover, this might be a good option. I may have to pick up a case of these and leave one in an easy to access part of my pack.
    I may have to play around with one to see if it will heat the Cocoa (soups are also available) and perhaps have enough heat left to warm some water after drinking the original contents. This might be one of those heavy and bulky items that still earn a place in your pack.
    I have had these before, and the heater gets them tepid at best. But its better than cold
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    I have had these before, and the heater gets them tepid at best. But its better than cold
    I was concerned about that as well. Many of the YouTube reviews I watched seemed to indicate that it would get up to 160 F or at least scalding hot. I may have to test one in a freezer.
    Last edited by wisenber; 02-11-2013 at 10:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast