Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    If you look at my avatar picture, that night the winds picked up significantly and I pitched my Wal Mart tarp on the right side as a wind break. I staked a short side of it flush to the ground, pulled it up to my tarp's ridgeline and folded each corner over the rigdeline so they could be tied off. It left a large hole at the ridgeline which I successfully covered with my cotton long johns that had gotten wet anyway. It was an atrocius sight, but I slept warm despite some strong gusting that night.

My Superfly gets here Monday. I won't need to reinvent the wheel next time.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Alright . . . a few minutes in the shop, and now I have a CAMO windbreak to use around my hot pot whenever it's windy out. I used some of the camo Taslite left over from my tarp project http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65828 (no this isn't SIL treated )

It's 16" high by 36" long, with a pocket at each end so a trail stick can be passed thru and then stuck into the ground. If I'm not set up near a tree like in the earlier pics, then I'll just fold this around a third stick in the middle.

This folds up neatly inside the lid of my Imusa cook kit, so it'll always be there in case I need it.

-Klauss
    Last edited by Klaussinator; 01-26-2013 at 18:26. Reason: added link
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    If you look at my avatar picture, that night the winds picked up significantly and I pitched my Wal Mart tarp on the right side as a wind break. I staked a short side of it flush to the ground, pulled it up to my tarp's ridgeline and folded each corner over the rigdeline so they could be tied off. It left a large hole at the ridgeline which I successfully covered with my cotton long johns that had gotten wet anyway. It was an atrocius sight, but I slept warm despite some strong gusting that night.

My Superfly gets here Monday. I won't need to reinvent the wheel next time.
    I've got that same 10$ Walmart tarp and its so versatile. Used as groundsheet, tarp over hammock and as a wall to block the wind. It's always in my kit as an essential.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klaussinator View Post
    Great ideas, thanks everyone! That bright blue material was just something I grabbed on my way out the door . . . Gotta make a real windbreak that's either camo or black --- stealth camping, ya know?!? I'm gonna run down to the shop and see what I can whip up.

As far as the bigger windbreak for the hammock, I hadn't thought about using it on the side, but that makes sense too. I was thinking more about using it to keep the wind from rushing thru a tarp without doors, when the trees won't allow you to set your ridgeline up perpendicular to the wind.

-Klauss
    Oh sorry I misunderstood. So you're thinking of doing a wind block at on end of the open tarp (sans doors) Kind of a shorty grizz beak?

The new camo wind block for the stove looks great. I fight a lot of wind out here and have had to get very creative to keep the stove lit.
    I really like wind blocking ideas.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 01-27-2013 at 12:35.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a rain kilt for a multiple use item. It opens up to a big rectangle. Good for rain, laundry, a cooking windbreak like you came up with. I rig it on the end of my hammock to block off weather as needed. The other end gets my silnylon Packa for protection.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's all about the weight. You could carry a sheet of plywood that would work, if you can stand the weight.

Ah, to have wind that only blows from one direction and never shifts! Coastal areas like where I live are notorious for shifting quickly, often several times in 60 seconds. I tried several ways of breaking the wind before I conceded that mother nature wouldn't cooperate. Therefore, I got the HG Winter Palace and all my worries are gone!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Foam Pads
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Great Idea!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12