DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

Anyone using a windbreak?

Grabbed a couple of hours Friday to hike some unexplored local woods, and took along my day-hammock and my new Imusa cook kit that I'm toying with. Set up "camp" at this cool spot:

Wind was only about 5mph, but steady enough that I made a little windbreak around my cook pot & stove. I carry a piece of ripstop with me that's about 16" high x maybe 30" long. A few slots cut at each end allow for a couple of sticks stuck in the ground to keep it in place. Here it is set up around my cat stove, which doesn't do well if the flame gets blown around.

Here it is with my mini woodburner. (In this new cook kit I carry both UL alcohol & woodburning stoves, so I had to test `em both!)

Anyhow, the windbreak worked great, but when I finally settled into the hammock after eating, there was almost too much wind to be comfortable in this little single-layer "play hammock." I got to wondering . . . . Why couldn't I use a larger version of my cooking windbreak to guard a hammock?!? Maybe just large enough to deflect some of the breeze or gusts, just enough to keep it from howling thru a tarp without doors. Kinda like tarp beaks that are detached and can be moved wherever needed? I know this wouldn't work in storm conditions, I'm just thinking normal breezy days or nights. Has this been done before???

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Cool... Congrats on cool idea...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I had my SF set up last weekend, and had some terrible wind blowing. I was kind of thinking along the same lines. Instead of using a hammock sock, why not just use a wind block? Make it high enough that I can hang my tarp comfortable, without it being really low, and add a piece to block the wind, along the bottom. A 2ft x 8 or 10 ft piece, with tieouts at the ends, one at the bottom corner to a stake, one at the top corner, going up the the tarp ridge tie out. Do this at both ends. I do realize if you have shifting winds, it won't do much, and that is a down side, but if you have a prevailing wind coming from one direction, it should work, in theory.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Interesting idea; I tend to always carry my tarp even on a day hike (assuming i brought my hammock); it provides a great wind break if I pitch it low in back and in porch mode in front, however, if no rain was predicted, just a good UQ would be enough to keep you comfortable without messing with a tarp. The advantage is I'm always using the same gear so I hope to get better and better with it.

i like your wind break for cooking! Almost no weight and highly functional; good job!
    Gideon

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I like the wind block for the stove idea as well. It could possibly be a good place for me to start learning DIY sewing. Picturing a mini tarp with pull-outs to fasten on poles or sticks.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    LeighloTQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    This is a good idea. Last week it was so windy that my pot, stove, and windscreen all blew over. I finally got down behind some rocks and was able to finish cooking.

Images
    Great idea Klauss, A detachable side skirt for one side of the tarp.

Can't wait to see what you come up with for your tarp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I have been thinking of that same thing. I talked to Adam at Hammockgear a while back about a custom tarp that would take his winter palace cuben tarp and add bottoms to the sides that I could roll up out of the way when I did not need them. The extensions would be attached to the inside of the tarp so when rolled up you could use the regular tie outs. If it gets windy I could unroll the extension which would have its own tie outs on the bottom of it and guy it out.

I usually just lower or hang one side lower on my tarp if needed, but I would like to be able to stand up in the tarp (bad back from accident while in Marines) after packing all day, tend to get stiff. This would allow the extensions to reach ground and still be able to stand up.

Hope all that makes sense LOL!!

I am going to make a mini wind break like the one you made, really cool idea!!!
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Great ideas, thanks everyone! That bright blue material was just something I grabbed on my way out the door . . . Gotta make a real windbreak that's either camo or black --- stealth camping, ya know?!? I'm gonna run down to the shop and see what I can whip up.

As far as the bigger windbreak for the hammock, I hadn't thought about using it on the side, but that makes sense too. I was thinking more about using it to keep the wind from rushing thru a tarp without doors, when the trees won't allow you to set your ridgeline up perpendicular to the wind.

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    My poncho is often hung below my hammock as a weathershield, this is more for wind than water. Not exactly what you were thinking, but serves a similar purpose, and I am already carrying it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast