Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Nice writeup BC.

I'm gonna have to do my side tie outs like yours, with the reinforcement patches. The point where my zipper turns that corner is where I'm having some failures. Using the patches like you incorporated on your hammock should fix the problem.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Hennessy clone
    Tarp
    Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    CCF mat
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    First roll on each side:
    Added 12-12-07:
    Making a top cover pattern

I have had a few people ask how I made my top covers for my HH clone. It's not a complicated process, but it is kinda hard to explain. I hope my instructions are clear enough.

I do highly recommend that you make a pattern because it will allow you to easily make different top covers, from different materials, and it's a lot easier to make marks and measurements on the pattern paper than it is to mark the fabric. I used Tyvek to make my pattern. You can get enough Tyvek from Ebay for $5-6 to make this reusable pattern (about 2-3 yards should be enough) .

To begin with, you will need to setup the hammock normally , and stake out the side tie outs. You will only be taking 3 measurements from the hammock:
    the ridge line measurement (A), the distance from the ridge line to the side tie out (B), and the short side asym measurement (C). The ridge line measurement should be the distance between where the fabric comes together on the foot end to where the fabric comes together on the head end. It is not the actual length of the ridge line.

The first thing that I did was to draw out a rectangle using the ridge line measurement as the height and 2 x the distance from the ridge line to the side tie out as the width of the rectangle (rectangle indicated by red and blue dotted lines). For example, if you had a ridge line measurement of 80" and a the distance from the ridge line to the side tie out is 30" per side, then the rectangle should be 80" tall and 60" wide. The rectangle should be divided in half, lengthwise, by measurement A.

The next thing that you need to do is transfer measurement C to the pattern. Lay your yard stick at the apex point and adjust it so that the distance between the apex and the intersect point matches your measurement C Repeat this process on the opposite end of the the pattern, on the opposite side of the center line.

The final step in making the pattern is to draw in the long asym sides (indicated by the dotted black line). All you have to do is to use a straight edge to make a line from the intersect point to the apex point that is the furthest away.

After you have all your lines drawn, simply cut out the asymmetrically shaped pattern from the rectangle and you now have a reusable top cover pattern.

I thought I'd play around with some maths to save on having to cut out a pattern for the top cover. Here it is if you want to use it:

I've based it on H4U's original diagram and added some more dimensions. A, B and C are as per the original diagram. As you can see the pattern has been rotated on the material to be cut. NB: This does mean that the ridge line does not follow the weave of the material but this wasn't a big deal for me.

The key measurements we are after is G - the width to be cut, H - the off-cut length, and, if you don't want to use the ridgeline measurement on the angle, the length of the material (not given a letter in my diagram). To get these measurements, we first need to calculate some other measurements - D, E and F as follows:

D = Square root of (C squared - B squared)
    E = A - D
    F = Square root of (E squared + B squared)

Now we can get G = B/F*A
    And H = Square root of (C squared - G squared)
    The length of the material to be cut from is F+H

So to cut the material measure off a length of F+H, cut it to a width of G. Then measure down H from the top right corner and cut from there to the top left corner in a straight line. Then measure up H from the bottom left corner and cut from there to the bottom right corner in a straight line.

I hope that helps - it worked for me.
    "I come from a land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder" - Men at Work.

I'm new to this forum and was just wondering.....I would love to give it a go to make my own Hennessy clone but, how does the costs compare. I was looking at the Expedition Asym at a price of $140. If you factor in time and materials......
    how does a homemade compare?

Just wondering.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you don't care about your time... you might save some money depending on the fabric you use. If you include your time... you will probably not save a thing. I am an avid DIYer so I'm not dissing on the DIY process. But saving money is not a good reason to make your own most of the time.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I also enjoy the DIY process, so much so that I have too many projects going now. I noticed some folks mentioning ripstop from Walmart. Our little bitty Walmart doesn't seem to carry any. Do you have any recommended on-line sources for material?

If I take on a hammock project, I would like to incorporate some type (convert into back pack) strapping. This would be similar to the Civil War era bed rolls where everything rolled up inside the blanket and then tied off.

I know, I'm probably shooting for too much....like most of my ideas. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by extreme_yarak View Post
    If I take on a hammock project, I would like to incorporate some type (convert into back pack) strapping. This would be similar to the Civil War era bed rolls where everything rolled up inside the blanket and then tied off.
    Well then, you need to take on one of these.

Lots of good places for fabric online. My two current favorites are OWF & Thru-Hiker.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't see a HH clone as a combo hammock/pack design. But then I may just not have the imagination. I've seen Dutch's gearskin in action and it is an awesome piece but bears no resemblence to an HH clone.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Too Nice, So much for what I thought was an Original Idea

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Well then, you need to take on one of these.

Lots of good places for fabric online. My two current favorites are OWF & Thru-Hiker.
    That is too sweet. How's the storage capacity? Is that a stuff sack sandwiched in there to keep things tidy? Thanks for the link.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Yes, most people that use a gearskin pack put everything into one large waterproof/resistant sack; trash compactor bags, large ziploc storage bags, etc. I've never used one, but I've heard folks talk about the extra load they can carry. I think Coffee burned one out on his thru.

But hey, there is still the challenge of making a Hennessy style hammock that can double as a pack. Go for it!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    HC4U or anyone who can answer,

I have read this a few times, & am thinking that if a person used asym tieouts on any type of hammock (say a eno) & then cut out/attached the bug netting as shown in these directions it would basically look & act like a Hennessy? I know it would not have the same whipping & feel of a HH, but it would be an "Asym" hammock as Tom H. would call/patent it. Correct???
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast