Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    What I did was make an add on net. I took an old Hennessy net (you can make one using headchange's instructions) and then add a "skirt" that could be folded over to make a channel for elastic cord so that it snugs down around the perimeter of the the hammock. It didn't work perfectly, but I now have 4 small clothes pins that weigh 4 grams each that finish up the joints. 4.88 ounces for the net and 0.28 for the 4 clips.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WL3/4 - GoLite TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks headchange for the great write up. It has convinced me to take the dive.

One question or should I say, the first of many?, The picture with the 8" tube has the seam move "north" a few inches. Did you keep it up there when you did the folding or is it just there to help show the seam?

Thanks

Just curious as I'm beginning a couple of hammocks for my son and me, how did the four tie-outs work, compared to the two?

First I must say "YOU GUYS SUCK!" but in a good way. After reading this thread I now feel compelled to make my own clone. I am going to get a lot of crap for it since we have a pop up camper in the driveway. LOL but what can ya do. Thanks for all of your input and tips. I have a lot of planning to do and this thread helps with a lot of the legwork so thanks.

This may be a stupid question, (I am new to hammock construstion.), but could the cord loop you put in the whipping for your ridgeline be made to be the attachment point for the hammock itself? Or would the forces be unevenly distributed into the material at the ends?

Hammock
    Not sure yet
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    not sure yet.
    Suspension
    Open to suggestion
    Thank you all for your honest input. This site rocks. I had plenty on my plate as of yesterday, now, thanks to you guys, I have another project for the weekend. Just an FYI for any member that is in my area. I own an Old, nice, medium duty singer sewing machine that I just had tuned up. I am willing to share my equipment to anyone who is interested in a DIY. I am currently in Lambertville Michigan, about 3 miles north of Toledo Ohio. Thanks again folks. Tortoise1.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVassello View Post
    This may be a stupid question, (I am new to hammock construstion.), but could the cord loop you put in the whipping for your ridgeline be made to be the attachment point for the hammock itself? Or would the forces be unevenly distributed into the material at the ends?
    The ridge line thingy was not really meant to bear much weight. You could do something like you suggest. It would be an arrangement similar to how Warbonnet Blackbird ridgelines are set up.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    Well, I finally did it. I sewed meself a DIY hennessy just like Headchange4u instructed. Well, almost. I used 1.1 oz and did a double layer. I also cut the fabric at 130". It ended up a little shorter with the hemming. And man, that is a lot of hemming for a double layer. Anyways, the lay was amazing. I just want to thank HC4U for coming up with this idea and sharing it. I had a few minor problems related to the double layer that I am starting a new thread on, but overall, a very satisfied hanger. Thanks.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hello all, after years of grounding in Midwest, Southwest and now in the Southeast,and finding the HForum Through Shug's impressive U-Tube Vids, you have me interested in moving up in the outdoor world. Thanks for all the helpful Info and Tips. Am attempting my own DIY, went to the Fabric store and looked at some Rip-Stop. How can one tell the difference between 1.9 and 1.1 oz?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnome77 View Post
    Hello all, after years of grounding in Midwest, Southwest and now in the Southeast,and finding the HForum Through Shug's impressive U-Tube Vids, you have me interested in moving up in the outdoor world. Thanks for all the helpful Info and Tips. Am attempting my own DIY, went to the Fabric store and looked at some Rip-Stop. How can one tell the difference between 1.9 and 1.1 oz?
    Unfortunately, that's nearly impossible to answer without having some samples for you to see and feel.

If the fabric store you're getting it from doesn't list the weight, perhaps they'll list the Denier. If it's 30d, then you're looking at about 1.1oz, if 70d, then it's in the 1.7-1.9oz range.

If they can't tell you either of those things... you might find it helpful to order a fabric sample set from www.owfinc.com. They'll list what is what and you can go from there.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast