Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Hmm....now that I reread, I think he's right. Lets you use both halves of the third zipper.

I was wondering - how are you planning on making both ends separable? I didn't think they made double-pull zippers that separated on both ends.
    The zippers with only separate at one end but can be opened from either end.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You method may actually be the best route. I don't know why this zipper crap is so confusing to me . I may have to only buy 3 fleece sleeping bags.

I appreciate you trying to save me some cash.
    I'll bet your confused. I was going to post my thoughts earlier last night then I thought I was wrong then right then wrong. I had a few sleepless hours and had to post my thoughts so I could actually sleep.

As Jeff says making sure that the zips work together would be the key, I was thinking that after the zips on the hammock it wouldn't be too hard to zip on a matching zip half then do the sewing.

As for missing out on a centre opening the only simple get around I could think of is to attach an shorter centre opening fixed end zipper along a section between the detaching zipper and netting/cover material. A bit of extra weight and cost but because of the shorter length you may find this not too bad. (come to think of it if it was between the zipper and the hammock you'd only need one but you'd always have the weight.)

My other mad sleep deprived thoughts centred around what could the zipping possibilities be, could the netting or cover zipped into tubes (individually or together) be put to some use? Could you fire your undercover and top quilt into the hammock then zip it up and use the hanging straps as a compression system?

Drop

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop View Post
    Could you fire your undercover and top quilt into the hammock then zip it up and use the hanging straps as a compression system?

Drop
    I'd rather have something waterproof around my sleep system, rather than using the hammock as a kind of stuff sack. But I have thought about adding zippers or velcro to the sides of my DIY hammock to retain my top quilt and allow for a single-package setup - hammock, top quilt, underquilt. After having packed an actual UQ/sock setup though, I think adding a top quilt into the picture would make the end result way too bulky.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

My other mad sleep deprived thoughts centred around what could the zipping possibilities be, could the netting or cover zipped into tubes (individually or together) be put to some use? Could you fire your undercover and top quilt into the hammock then zip it up and use the hanging straps as a compression system?

Drop
    That's a great idea. Brilliant! That would mean that I could use the top covers as a zip up hammock skin. It would great if I could get something like that to work.

I think once the zippers are attached each side will be a mirror of the other side, one side seperating at the head and one side seperating at the foot. If this is the case then I won't be able to do what you are talking about. I will probably have to have the zippers and the hammock laid out in front of me before I could say for sure.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Any thoughts on the addition of an extra centre opening zipper to the mix?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Any thoughts on the addition of an extra centre opening zipper to the mix?
    Installing a center zipper would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think he means a stand-alone zipper just under or above the long zipper. Like this:

. ....short zipper..
    ....L O N G Z I P P E R H E R E......

That would be pretty easy to make.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    Yup as Jeff shows.

On my Vaude tent... No wait, on a friend of mines Vaude tent, there is a simmilar setup for the entrance to the inner tent. There its used with two materials noseeum and traditonal tent inner so you get the choice of using one or the other or both. Not the same situation as for use in a hammock but kind of what got me thinking.

Possibly not too much trouble to do, it's not an essential but could make things a bit more flexible.

I'll add it to my list of things on my dream hammock along with the netting and covers

Images
    I just ordered the zippers for my next version of a bug bivy. One thing I did was order 2 zipper pulls for one length of zipper. It is not going to be a seperating zipper. The 2 pulls are going to be facing opposite directions on the same length of zipper. That way I can have the opening at any place I want to.

In the end a homemade hammock will only set you back about $5-10. A summer and winter version might be in order.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I've stuck out twice so far. I went to Big Lots and they did not have any fleece sleeping bags. I next went to Walmart and they had the $10 fleece bags with the 2 way serprating zipper but it only had one pull on the zipper instead of 2.
    Walmart also have a ploy fill sleeping bag with a "self healing" zipper. The zipper had double pulls but was only a one way separating.

I am going to head into the big city of Lexington and check ****'s Sporting Goods, Target, and Kmart. Wish me luck.

www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast