Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Jeff, I did not use a square at all, but used a triangle about 11"x3.5". I put a 3/8" folded hem on the long edge so the raw edge would not be visible after installing the zipper (it's just a single fold, not a rolled hem). I then used a 3/8" flat-felled hem to attach to the body. The body fabric folds over the triangle fabric. Press with an iron before sewing. I did not round it. Last step is to sew a 3/8" folded hem the entire length of the body on either side of the triangle. This is basically an extension of the folded over part of the flat-felled hem. Hope this makes sense.

I used 1/2" nylon webbing for the tie-out.
    Please forgive me I'm very slow when it comes to sewing. If I understand correctly you attached the triangle before hemming the body. Then somehow hemmed the triangle & the body at the same time? I have already hemmed all 4 sides as in HC4U's directions. Oh well it won't look as good as yours but thanks for the dimensions, that is a big help!
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    Please forgive me I'm very slow when it comes to sewing. If I understand correctly you attached the triangle before hemming the body. Then somehow hemmed the triangle & the body at the same time? I have already hemmed all 4 sides as in HC4U's directions. Oh well it won't look as good as yours but thanks for the dimensions, that is a big help!
    Jeff,

if you install a zipper, there is no need to put a rolled hem on the body. You do not have to hem it at all if you sear the edge or cut it with a hot knife. I put a single fold hem on the body for two reasons. First, I did not want the raw edge visible at the edge of the zipper tape. This is really minor. The bigger reason is that when you attach the triangle, there is a fold from the flat felled seam anyway. You could just run that out over a few inches and not bother hemming all the way. Because of the zipper tape, it would not really be noticeable.

Here is the procedure I used again, step-by-step:
    1. Hem the long edge of the triangle with a 3/8" single-fold hem.
    2. Attach the triangle to the body, wrong sides together with the triangle at 3/8" and the body at 3/4" seam allowance. By wrong side I mean the inside of the hammock.
    3. Fold the hem of the body fabric over the triangle seam allowance at 3/8" and iron.
    4. Finish the flat-felled seam with a stitch line at ~1/8" from the folded edge.
    5. Extend the 3/8" fold on the body fabric from the flat-felled seam on either side of the triangle all the way along the body (3/8" single-fold hem).
    6. Attach zipper tape flush with the edge, coils agains the outside of the hammock. Use a zipper foot and attach close to the coils.
    7. Fold the zipper tape over and top stitch close to the fold. Use a zipper foot. It may help to iron before sewing.
    8. Add a second line of top-stitching to the zipper close to the edge of the zipper tape. With a #5 zipper, you will likely not be able to do this with a zipper foot, but a regular foot works well against the zipper coil also.

The triangle dimensions are approximate. I used a computer program to generate a template for it based on the geometry of my hammock.

Since you have the body hemmed already, you may want to attach the zipper without folding it. In this case, just put a rolled hem on all sides of the triangle and then attach to the body. Make the triangle bigger to account for the rolled hems. Attaching the zipper may be a bit tricky this way. You have to make sure the fabric does not get too close to the coils, and you have to stitch it down close to the edge so the fabric does not get caught in the zipper. Fabric glue might help.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Jeff,

if you install a zipper, there is no need to put a rolled hem on the body. You do not have to hem it at all if you sear the edge or cut it with a hot knife. I put a single fold hem on the body for two reasons. First, I did not want the raw edge visible at the edge of the zipper tape. This is really minor. The bigger reason is that when you attach the triangle, there is a fold from the flat felled seam anyway. You could just run that out over a few inches and not bother hemming all the way. Because of the zipper tape, it would not really be noticeable.

Here is the procedure I used again, step-by-step:
    1. Hem the long edge of the triangle with a 3/8" single-fold hem.
    2. Attach the triangle to the body, wrong sides together with the triangle at 3/8" and the body at 3/4" seam allowance. By wrong side I mean the inside of the hammock.
    3. Fold the hem of the body fabric over the triangle seam allowance at 3/8" and iron.
    4. Finish the flat-felled seam with a stitch line at ~1/8" from the folded edge.
    5. Extend the 3/8" fold on the body fabric from the flat-felled seam on either side of the triangle all the way along the body (3/8" single-fold hem).
    6. Attach zipper tape flush with the edge, coils agains the outside of the hammock. Use a zipper foot and attach close to the coils.
    7. Fold the zipper tape over and top stitch close to the fold. Use a zipper foot. It may help to iron before sewing.
    8. Add a second line of top-stitching to the zipper close to the edge of the zipper tape. With a #5 zipper, you will likely not be able to do this with a zipper foot, but a regular foot works well against the zipper coil also.

The triangle dimensions are approximate. I used a computer program to generate a template for it based on the geometry of my hammock.

Since you have the body hemmed already, you may want to attach the zipper without folding it. In this case, just put a rolled hem on all sides of the triangle and then attach to the body. Make the triangle bigger to account for the rolled hems. Attaching the zipper may be a bit tricky this way. You have to make sure the fabric does not get too close to the coils, and you have to stitch it down close to the edge so the fabric does not get caught in the zipper. Fabric glue might help.
    A zipper foot works very well on a #5 zipper. Most zipper feet have two settings. One allows you to sew very close to the coils. The other setting, in my case I turn the foot 180 degrees, in other cases the foot attaches to a different point on the foot. That setting allows you to run the foot right along the coils and sew a distance from the coils . You get that very nice double stitch line on the zipper tape. When using a non-separatig zipper you need to be able to change that distance on the feet to install the zipper correctly. I hope that is clear. If not I'll try to explain it differently.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Schneiderlein & Rev, thanks for all the tips they are very helpful! I think I was going to do the steps you guys have suggested, but it's good to have them for refrence. I will be using some fabric glue (I really like that stuff!). Which brings up another question... The glue tends to blead through the fabric in spots (no matter how little I apply) leaving a shiny glazed look. Now I know this is minor, but what is the best way to remove this?

Thanks again, Jeff
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have never used fabric glue so I have no clue. I tend to shy away from anything that would leave a residue on the needle or seep into the machine. I don't really trust that stuff without stitch lines anyway but as I say I don't use it so what do I know.

Iron on adhesive is another issue and I will use that on occasion for non-stress areas. But if it going to take any stress I put my money on stitches. YMMV. I'm not saying it not good stuff. Just that I don't use it.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Rev, the glue just takes the place of pins for tacking. I still sew everything after the glue has set for 24hrs. By using it this way nothing seeps into my machine & seems to leave no residue on the needle. It keeps everything nice & flat & in place while I sew without having to stop to remove pins every x inches. It's a lot slower process setting up than just pinning, but much faster & easier for sewing. (I need all the help I can get!) I can concentrate on just sewing as straight as possible without having to stop for pins. If I get a good straight run going I can keep going until it begins to stray. (perhapse the more correct term for me instead of a "straight" run is straightish run) oh well I try.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Jeffjenn... in my book it's called whatever works... no problem.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Images
    Jeff, I would do a test to see if the glue seeps through the 3 layers of the rolled hem. It may not be an issue with 3 layers. I have seen basting tapes that might work well here, but have never used any. You definitely have to stitch, the glue is just for alignment. The only reason I mentioned it was because it is important to keep the fabric away from the coils, and a small error might not just be a cosmetic defect.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    A zipper foot works very well on a #5 zipper. Most zipper feet have two settings. One allows you to sew very close to the coils. The other setting, in my case I turn the foot 180 degrees, in other cases the foot attaches to a different point on the foot. That setting allows you to run the foot right along the coils and sew a distance from the coils . You get that very nice double stitch line on the zipper tape. When using a non-separatig zipper you need to be able to change that distance on the feet to install the zipper correctly. I hope that is clear. If not I'll try to explain it differently.
    My zipper foot does not let me do the second stitch line on a #5. If I attach the foot on the right, the seams are too close together, and if I attach it on the left, the needle just misses the tape. For the second stitch line, the regular foot works well, though. In my opinion, it is actually easier than working with a zipper foot. Gives me a very nice double stitch line with a consistent width.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Okay as the project is slowly progressing my next quesion is...
    Which is the best method to whip the hammock? Real whipping like HC4U did or a zip tie?

• + New Posts
  • Page 30 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast