Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Hey,

I am planning on making my first DIY hammock in the next few days. I have been looking at the "thingies" in the original post.

I was planning on having a removable structural ridgeline and I also want to use the ring system for the suspension.

Can the thingy be what you attach your suspension to? I was planning on putting a loop on either side of the whipping for the ridgeline and the suspension to connect to. If not, I will do both "thingies" and a normal larkshead knots suspension setup.

I have read the full thread (over the course a day lol) and one person asked this but I didn't notice an answer.

All the best,

Mitch

Ninja Edit: I got some ripstop (the only stuff I could find in town) it has no Id all. No weight or anything else. Can anyone tell me how much a 60x120" sheet should weigh? With nothing else attached. Trying to decide if I should double it up or not. Got enough to double it.
    Last edited by Mitch311; 03-09-2011 at 09:27.

Anyone? I need to build these tomorrow otherwise I wouldn't be pushing.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Not really sure what you are talking about on the "thingies" its been a while since I went through the early part of this thread. If I remember right you are talking about the knotted cord that HC4U passed through the whipping that he connected his removable ridgeline to. If I remember there were some problems with this set-up pulling through the wipping and failing.

I would ask why you want to remove the ridgeline?

Do you plan to make your hammock with a traditional whipped end like a HH or a gathered end? I make mine like this thread but instead of a whipped end I sew a small channel and gather the ends WB style like Knotty's thread. Although I do not remove my ridgeline I could easily do so by taking off the suspension (simple larks head connection) and then pulling the fixed loop ridgeline through the gather. Afterwards I could reattach suspension and in about 10 minutes my ridgeline could be removable - but why? The netting would then hang down on me etc... Also since my 9' ridgeline is shorter than the 11' 8" hammock body removing the ridgeline will put stress on the netting which is sized to match the ridgeline length. I could see removing the ridgeline if your hammock did not have a net or the net was removable, but otherwise you lose me on this.

With all that said, If you want an easier way to be able to swap ridgelines in and out (different lengths etc...) you could make 2 short lengths of amsteel with fixed loops at each end. These would pass through the whipping or the gather and your suspension would go through one loop before attaching to the hammock. This would leave the other loop hanging loose inside the hammock at each end that you could attach a removable ridgeline to the inside loops.

Good luck and post pictures!

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Not really sure what you are talking about on the "thingies" its been a while since I went through the early part of this thread. If I remember right you are talking about the knotted cord that HC4U passed through the whipping that he connected his removable ridgeline to. If I remember there were some problems with this set-up pulling through the wipping and failing.
    I hope not - I just finished my HH clone with this approach. My gather is the W, with strong zipties. The knot is a figure 8 which provides bulk - so far in my testing the ridgeline length, it has held well under stress and loose. My ridgeline is around 98" long end to end for this one.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    90% done on my daughter's hammock!

Here it is:

Complete with zipper triangle.

You may notice a plethora of zig-zag stitches. This was my first DIY hammock, inspired by Risk's Z-Hammock. I pulled it out of retirement for my 12 year old. The fabric is 9' long, (Bought from Speer) hemmed all around, and then made to this thread's specs. I was thinking I'd go with the BB style whipping, but thought I'd give this a try. The 9' is definitely too short for my 6' frame, but it was surprisingly comfortable. There is no calf pressure, and it really lays flat.

My only deviation from the original instructions is that I put the pull-outs 20" off the center.

The bugnet is Organza, which I really like. From a durablility perspective, it doesn't snag like netting, the holes are smaller, and it's available in a variety of colors. The zipper is a 3mm zipper from BWDD. (Thanks Scott!) I have to say I am truly surprised how easy the zipper was to do. I was worried that the #3 zipper would be too small, or fragile, but it works great. Joann's had 10' zippers, but wanted $15! I bought 30' of zipper and 6 pulls for $9! from Scott...

All that's left is to trim up the net a bit on the inside. While sewing the net shifted/stretched a bit. One pic you can kinda see how I had to dart the net to get it to fit properly... Any tips on how to make it come out cleanly?

My next one is for my son, who outgrew the first one I made him.... the next project after that one is my 1.1DL Camo (again, from Scott at BWDD). The fabric is nice and wide. I'll probably go with 10'6" on that one, with a BB style footbox (lefty of course.) I'm still torn between the pullouts like the HH, or to go more like a Jerry5 hammock... (Sigh) Too many decisions!

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    quick question, has anyone tried to install a shelf like on a WBBB on a hh clone????
    if so any luck, making one for the gf and I might try it unless it's not doable!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    looking very good john!!!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    The WBBB shelf comes from the shape of the hammock body. You may want to search the DIY forum for the DIY Warbird thread that describes a wbbb clone.

The shelf is the one thing I really miss about my WBBB...

Hammock
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    The WBBB shelf comes from the shape of the hammock body. You may want to search the DIY forum for the DIY Warbird thread that describes a wbbb clone.
    yes I understand that completely but has anyone ever tried it
    I have to set it up to make the pattern for the netting anyways, so I have the main shape of the body! I can probably make a little shelf almost the size of the bb's, the only thing I'm not sure, since I've never seen a BB in person is the opening for the shelf
    anyone else have any idea's
    FRED

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Checkout the BB Clone instructions here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23450

The shelf shouldn't be too hard to make, it's just a matter of sizing the bugnet appropriately.

The main reason for the BB tie-outs is to make the hammock roomy and to stretch out the shelf. The HH hammock uses asym tie-outs to almost force the diagonal lay. (both situations, the tie-outs keep the bugnet taut and out of your face...

My Son's hammock is next, and it's 10' long. I'm planning a footbox and bottom or end-zip entry. In hind-sight I should have made my daughter's bigger. She's 5'2" and already looking squished. I'd give it 6 months, then you'll find it on the For Sale page...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast